4.3 coming soon - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
4.3 coming soon

Well I was on my way to a seminar when my motor blew Thru the belt and overheated. I just got it towed home and looking at doing a swap now. I will be posting up pictures as the swap begins.

A good friend has a 4.3 and 700R4 that he is going to give me so I will be saving some cash there.

Searching the toyota bible and looking to see what I need to purchase. Any other assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sorry no TOGTFO pictures.

However I will be pulling the 22RE motor and it has a header and I have a (new cam, timing chain, rocker assy all NIB) that I was going to put in at the end of the month if anyone is interested after I get it pulled out.
Attached Images

KarateDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
So you dont need a 4cyl?
That sucks sorry to hear you were broke down..

RCV 30 Spline axles FREE shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 147521
I'd keep the 22RE motor!!! The 4.3 is a good motor dont get me wrong as im a chevy man all the way. The 22RE can be rebuilt fairly cheap and parts are plentiful. And all the extra parts you'll need for the swap will cost you alot more than replacing the 22RE. Since your on a budget i'd keep the 22RE. Besides you've already bought a few hundred bucks of new parts that you were going to put on it..I got some good places to get new parts for that truck if you need them as well..
PW69CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
Dave,

Yep I blew the motor. The plan has always been to go 4.3 I have a Dana 70 that was going to get cut down and waiting to get a Dana 60 to go tons all around with 42's.

I know I can go with a 22RE but the cost and time involved will be about the same since I get the motor and tranny for free.

I have 35's and driving the hils suck so I am going 4.3.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 103621
You will love the 4.3L. I can roast my 37's down all day, if I wanted too. Good luck getting it in there without a BL, if you dont want to be cutting up the floor/firewall, etc. I run a th350 behind my 4.3L CPI in my '82 truck. Wasy very straight forward and I did all the wiring myself. Its not that bad if you get the complete wiring diagram for the donor vehicle. There is a wealth of info on PBB.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
Done for the day and found out what happened to the motor. Two of the three bolts holding on the power steering pump bracket were missing, must have come loose and backed out, other one was loose. The power steering belt skipped and when it came loose it bound up the fan causing it to overheat. Only 35-45 LBS of compression in all four cylinders.

Started to disconnect everything and tomorrow if all goes well, will have the motor and tranny pulled.

I already have a 2" BL in it from long time ago. I am the original owner and long time ago I had a rancho IFS kit with a 2" body lift. I have been wanting to redo everything so I guess now is the time.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
If someone can help direct me to some vendors on here that have the wiring harnesses complete I would appreciate it. I will continue to do my searching and reading in depth if you guys don't want to help that's okay too.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 94186
i used one from howell efi
Old 12-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 147521
If it helps. I have 7 s-10 blazers that i use for parts and sell parts on CL. If you need anything PM me and let me know.
PW69CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2009, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Jim's Perfomance Harness, he can make you anything you want.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Send a message via Yahoo to Full Throttle ORC
Whatcha want for that header?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
Hey all thanks for the help.

(Mods if it is inappropriate for me to post the links below let me know and I will pull the links down).

Doing more research has brought me to several websites detailing more info. I will update this when I get more information. Also listed is Howell for the harness, Speedway for the radiator and Advanced Adapters for the transmission to toyota transfer case.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk3/toyota/swaps.htm
http://howellefi.com/customer/home.php
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...tors,3557.html
http://advanceadapters.com/product/1735/50-5705.html

Here is the tach mod:

A 5k ohm trim potentiometer is placed across the input contacts to the tachometer meter. This is done directly at the meter posts inside the instrument cluster. For this purpose, it is best to use a small 10 turn potentiometer to provide easier calibration of the tachometer. This potentiometer can be purchased at almost any electronics store. Solder wires to potentiometer and find a way to add it to the wiring at the back of the meter.

Once installed you will be able to recalibrate, or scale, the tachometer reading by adjusting the potentiometer. By running the engine and using another accurate tachometer as a reference, adjust the potentiometer until the engine RPM readings are both the same. You now have a factory tachometer that reads accurately for your V6 or V8 engine.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:22 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
For those that are running the 4.3 with a 700R4 is it necessary to run dual transfer cases?

I have the set up for duals but wondering if just running the 23 spline 4.7 gears would be fine.

Another question is could I use Marlins 10 degree dual case adapter to clock a single transfer case.

I could not find my answer while searching.

I am going to order my AA this week and I don't know if I should order the 21 or 23 spline adapter.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 78179
When in doubt go big, stay with the 23 spline stuff. If you allready have duals use'em, you can never have too many gear choices.
As far as clocking, unless you like spending money a good cross member can always keep T-cases safe if they hang below the frame a bit.

A side note, insure your 700r4 is not an early model 4l60e. That was my mistake and I found out I needed AA P/N716073 Reluctor ring kit. Now that I have all my T-cases in Ill have to pull it all apart again.

By the way I picked up a LT1 out of a 94 Caprice complete with harness, acc, radiator, steering colum for $400. I thought it would be cheap and easy swap. It's proven to be easy considering it's my first. But it hasent been cheap.

Last edited by smashmetal; 12-06-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: werds
smashmetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 109586
Hey Doc,

Do You have a complete 4.3 harness? If You do, why not just join the Toyota underdash to the GM underdash wiring?

Kiwi
Kiwipushrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
Kiwi, In answer to your question, yes I will have the whole harness. I have the whole donor vehicle.

I am weighing the advantages and disadvantages of thinning out the wiring harness.

Since I do not know exactly what I need to keep and what not to, I may just buy the harness from Howell unless there is a link somewhere to tell me how to thin down the harness. I know I could do it but my time may be more valuable in this case.

Smashmetal, I already have the 4.7 built as well as the clocked dual adapter so there would be no added expense. I have been accumulating all the parts to start the drivetrain. I am just forced to do this a little sooner than later.

I just finished paying down a $15,000 debt by consolidation and December was my last payment. I guess debt is the american way.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 78179
Post 203 has some refrence sites I have been researching for wiring stuff.
https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=799151&page=9
I know you've got the 4.3 but it's kinda close to the V8 stuff. it might help

I was in the same boat as you, I have been collecting parts for a while to do my swap but under estimated how many more I needed. It probably really wasent that it was me just changing my mind about the build.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 109586
If You mount the GM ECU under the hood, You can tap all the IGN hots and constants at the Toy power center. You can also use the stock Toy fuel pump relay in place. You just trip it with the GM trip wire.

You Can then use the stock Toy fuel pump with NO wiring mods.

The GM ECM harness IS the engine harness with a few extra sub harnesses for Body computer/ gauge cluster and power center.

The Toyota ECU no longer needs to be powered.

Come off the Toy starter relay to trip GM starter.

Shorten the wires and attach the Data Link Connector to the ECU (underhood) so You can access it.

It's about a 20-25 wire swap to join the 2 harnesses together.

You bring the Toy gauge (temp/oil press) wires and senders into the GM engine harness. Also add a cooling fan relay trip wire and sender. The GM donor will have stand alone relays with plugs and brackets that You can pillage.

Did the donor have a VATS system? This may help.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...417&highlight=

In other words just keep the Toyota dash and under dash wiring thinking it's still running a Toy motor......It wont mind a bit.

I'm not familiar with the Howell harness, how much do they cost? Are they stand alone or made to plug into a Toy harness?

Kiwi

Last edited by Kiwipushrod; 12-06-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Kiwipushrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 78179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwipushrod View Post
If You mount the GM ECU under the hood, You can tap all the IGN hots and constants at the Toy power center. You can also use the stock Toy fuel pump relay in place. You just trip it with the GM trip wire.

You Can then use the stock Toy fuel pump with NO wiring mods.

The GM ECM harness IS the engine harness with a few extra sub harnesses for Body computer/ gauge cluster and power center.

The Toyota ECU no longer needs to be powered.

Come off the Toy starter relay to trip GM starter.

Shorten the wires and attach the Data Link Connector to the ECU (underhood) so You can access it.

It's about a 20-25 wire swap to join the 2 harnesses together.

You bring the Toy gauge (temp/oil press) wires and senders into the GM engine harness. Also add a cooling fan relay trip wire and sender. The GM donor will have stand alone relays with plugs and brackets that You can pillage.

Did the donor have a VATS system? This may help.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...417&highlight=

In other words just keep the Toyota dash and under dash wiring thinking it's still running a Toy motor......It wont mind a bit.

I'm not familiar with the Howell harness, how much do they cost? Are they stand alone or made to plug into a Toy harness?

Kiwi
You just became my new hero
Hope you don't mind if I drop you a PM or 2 when I get a little further into my wiring web.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 94186
i have a few friends that just stick with a single 4.7 geared toyota tcase and they like it but all them run twinsticks on the case

Last edited by bigarms23; 12-06-2009 at 11:46 AM.
bigarms23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #21 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
I have a single 4.7 case behind an auto and I cant even imagine a lower gear. With the auto the converter never unlocks, as it is I can barley hold the vehicle in place with the brakes in gear. I too have a twin stick shifter. With the auto you shift more high to low than 1,2,3 o/d

RCV 30 Spline axles FREE shipping.

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 108480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarms23 View Post
i have a few friends that just stick with a single 4.7 geared toyota tcase and they like it but all them run twinsticks on the case
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPARTS View Post
I have a single 4.7 case behind an auto and I cant even imagine a lower gear. With the auto the converter never unlocks, as it is I can barley hold the vehicle in place with the brakes in gear. I too have a twin stick shifter. With the auto you shift more high to low than 1,2,3 o/d
I run a 4.3 with a single 4.7 case and it always wants to keep moving. I have disks at all corners too
Old 12-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
Not much work done today with the weather. Waiting for friend to come by with the cherry picker and my transmission jack.

Removed the exhaust and disconnected the fuel lines. Ready to drop the transmission and transfer cases and then pulll the engine.

Have any of you clocked the toyota transfer case or running it as is? How flat can you make the belly without clocking?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 87473
Slight break in the weather so pulled the transmission and transfer case. All my buddies are out working and I got no help to pull the engine. Damn!

It will only take 15 minutes top if I had someone else. Oh well I guess we will pull it out this weekend. If it doesn't rain on Sunday I will begin cutting off all the old brackets.

Anyone need a 22RE, w56 and transfer case or a marlin MC07-10 Doubler NIB? Also have a new cam, rocker assembly and timing chain set with steel guides for the engine.

https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=844533
Attached Images

Last edited by KarateDoc; 12-10-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 98845
wish i was closer i need the w56

gl with the build, 4.3 is a good motor. what kind of intake/donor vehicle is it coming out of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in