check engine light but no code present? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011, 11:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 114630
Send a message via AIM to DeltaClothingCo Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaClothingCo
check engine light but no code present?

i have an 89 toyota 4runner with a 22re that the check engine light is on, however when I hook it up to the scanner, it says no codes present. Anyone have any ideas on what to do to get this thing off?
Computer issue?
Im thinking of replacing an o2 sensor to see if that helps since i have one sitting around.

thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Send a message via Yahoo to Full Throttle ORC
Read the FSM. Tells you the jumper method to make the light flash. Some times, that's the only way to get the code. It will also tell you how to reset the codes.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 114630
Send a message via AIM to DeltaClothingCo Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaClothingCo
thanks, ill try to give that a shot.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 114630
OH ya i forgot i did do what the FSM said to do and pulled the fuse for the efi for 30 seconds and then put it back. light goes off when you turn the car off and goes on when you are on the gas for more than 3 or 5 seconds
Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wicked Raciest !

Member # 30
See if you can pull the codes the old fashion way by jumping the diagnostic plug. It should tell you how to do it in your FSM. The CEL is coming on for some reason if you clear it and it comes back on. Your scan tool may not be able to read your ECT, is it the right model for your rig? Is it for OBD2 and not OBD1?

As long as my tires are dirty, I am happy!!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by OOP'S; 02-03-2011 at 03:47 PM.
OOP'S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP'S View Post
See if you can pull the codes the old fashion way by jumping the diagnostic plug. It should tell you how to do it in your FSM. The CEL is coming on for some reason if you clear it and it comes back on. Your scan tool may not be able to read your ECT, is it the right model for your rig? Is it for OBD2 and not OBD1?
It's an 89. Shouldn't even have OBD1. It's probably one of those "wal-mart special" import code readers.

OP. I haven't had any luck with any kind of parts store code readers on the 22RE ECU's. I always save the money, by using my pre-OBD GM diagnostic tool to check the Toyota codes... A paper clip, in the diagnostic port. Works every time.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 114630
diagnostic stuff are the things I know the least about. explain the paper clip theory to me. I was using a snap on scanner with the correct toyota plug in the diagnostic port and it showed no codes present.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 144923
If you look in the FSM, it will tell you where your diagnostic port is, what each of the pins are, and which to jumper.

Since, you can't figure out how to open an FSM.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 158890
Some codes do not re-appear until the "fault" has been recorded twice.
See code 25 and 26.
So you gotta drive around, turn off the engine and then drive around again for it to register on the CEL.
Stuwy123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuwy123 View Post
Some codes do not re-appear until the "fault" has been recorded twice.
See code 25 and 26.
So you gotta drive around, turn off the engine and then drive around again for it to register on the CEL.
It's registering a code via the CEL. It's already lit and steady. So, the code has been entered into the system. He's just not able to pull the code, and seems incapable of opening a book.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 38563
don't use a scanner with the DLC1 adapter, just jumper TE1 and E1 to read the MIL light flashes

more than likely, it is an 02 sensor or an EGR issue as they tyipcally cause the light to come on when driving when the fault exists only during certain conditions
Old 02-07-2011, 08:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 114630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Throttle ORC View Post
It's registering a code via the CEL. It's already lit and steady. So, the code has been entered into the system. He's just not able to pull the code, and seems incapable of opening a book.
ORC, I really do appreciate the help but did it require you being a total dickhead about it? I figured someone might know off hand and can say so rather then me trying to track down the FSM since I do not have one.

@pietro
thanks, I was thinking it was one of the two issues. Im going to replace the 02 today and see if that helps.

Last edited by DeltaClothingCo; 02-07-2011 at 08:32 AM.
DeltaClothingCo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaClothingCo View Post
OH ya i forgot i did do what the FSM said to do and pulled the fuse for the efi for 30 seconds and then put it back. light goes off when you turn the car off and goes on when you are on the gas for more than 3 or 5 seconds
Sounds like you have an FSM to me. You were just too lazy to read it. Sounds like you were too lazy to read the FAQ, where there is a link to FSM's also.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
O did it require you being a total dickhead about it? Usually does

I figured someone might know off hand and can say so rather then me trying to track down the FSM since I do not have one. How is anybody supposed to diag your mystery condition over the internet

@pietro
thanks, I was thinking it was one of the two issues. Im going to replace the 02 today and see if that helps.Awesome, don't even bother testing anything, there is no way that the ecu could possibly give you a decent general idea of where to start

Quote:
It's an 89. Shouldn't even have OBD1
OBD1`is On Board Diagnostics. Yes the '89 (and even earlier) have an on board diagnostic system in the ecm....it is what came before OBD2 (on board diagnostics ver.2) was mandated by the gubment for some reasonable amount of compatibility of ecm and repair schnizzle.

I have seen several cars that were OBD1 and would not communicate with scan tools properly, even pricey high end ones. That is why it is important to be aware of the old school way, and why a service manual is so dang handy.

OP, did changing the o2 sensor fix your problem?

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 144923
What I know as OBD1, was the predicessor to the current OBD2 system. When they initially went to the standardized code and plug system. Most of the imports did not utilize the OBD1 system, but were required to utilize the OBD2. The OBD1 was the first system to use a standardized diagnostic plug, but auto makers hadn't standardized the codes. Some actually confuse OBD1 with OBD2. As an example (because the name of the diagnostic systems escapes me), Ford used the EEC-IV system for many years which was replaced by OBD1 then OBD2.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 181534
1. Small peace of black tape will make the light go away
CheapTrix4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4716
Quote:
diagnostic stuff are the things I know the least about. explain the paper clip theory to me. I was using a snap on scanner with the correct toyota plug in the diagnostic port and it showed no codes present.
The diagnostics "port" on the 22REs is an input port (to tell the ECU to read out the codes via the CEL) and not an output port where you can read the data from:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

I hard-wired mine to a switch inside the engine bay to make it easier to check code (or set timing):

4CrawlR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 144923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CrawlR View Post
The diagnostics "port" on the 22REs is an input port (to tell the ECU to read out the codes via the CEL) and not an output port where you can read the data from:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector

I hard-wired mine to a switch inside the engine bay to make it easier to check code (or set timing):

I like that. I may have to do something like that.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 115509
85-88 obd-0, 89-95 obd-1, 96+ obd-2:d
Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 102874
original poster did you ever figure out what it was. I'm having the same problemand yes I do have an FSM and I did jumper the port. the light just stays on solid
94ifs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 857596
Help! Was there ever a solution/fix to this?
I can't seem to pull code-

I have replaced:
Fuel Pump
Fuel filters x2
Oxygen Sensor
MAF Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Plugs and wires.
Now I sent in my ECU because we can't pull a code even when the engine light is on. The OBD1 does NOT read anything (used several different OBD1 devices). I also tried to trigger the code by using metal contact pin in the Diagnostics box (to watch the engine light flash)

Please help. This is my 1992 Toyota Pickup 3.0 (Winibego) , I am currently stranded in North Utah, My home is in Seattle.

Took it to a shop they said had to be the ECU since it wasn't allowing the OBD1 to pull a code. The ECU was sent in and tested and they couldn't find ANY issues with it.

I was having the same issue as described above.
I found a temporary fix that lasted awhile-until the past week, If I disconnected the + battery and removed the EFI fuse after each use, put them back before I decided to drive (both immediately). Engine Light would often not appear. Then it would work like nothing is wrong. When light is on I have very little HP.
Now I can't get the Engine light off 99/100 times.

Thanks for any immediate help, expertise or thoughts!
WarriorSe7en is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 3886
Check the 5volt system. If you have a sensor short it can pull the ecu down enough to not work but not enough to blow a fuse or damage the ecu.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in