Firerunner- '86 4Runner burned barn build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 10:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 186249
Well, I guess I pretty much fail at staying up to date...

Engine is in. Here are the motor mounts in place:

Runs well enough to haul home a free culvert that I needed for my property. My truck is happy to see you.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 186249
Oh yeah, I finally got some new tires. 36" Iroks. They rub a bit at the rear wheel wells... So I figured it was time to do a volcomesque tailgate swap and trim.

Here is the pickup gate mocked up:

As you can see, I changed out my canopy. During the engine build, the truck was sitting outside in the rain and snow. The original top ripped the prior summer, and I had found some really heavy waterproof canvas to replace it, but hadn't had time to get it sewn up. With weather threatening, my only option was to put my hard top back on. I ran that way for a bit, with a straight pipe clamped on to my header, and no interior panels... And when I started considering wearing earplugs while driving, I knew I needed to change some things.

I broke down and bought a softopper. I wanted to be able to fold the thing back or remove it easily, and I simply didn't have time to fix mine or redesign it sufficiently to meet my new perceived needs.

I love it. Back to the tailgate.

Heavy, thick 4runner tailgate gone.

I cut a piece of 1/8" plate:

Tacked it in:

Hung the tailgate:
Old 12-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 186249
Talking

A friend needed help moving an outhouse to some family property near Beasore Meadows. He overbuilt the outhouse in Oakhurst and hauled it up to its destination. The thing weighed 750lbs if it weighed an ounce. They wanted six of us to carry it up a hill. I had a better idea. We loaded it in a trailer and I drove it up one side of a large hill and down the other side to the outhouse foundation.

Before anyone starts whining about the trees, don't worry, I cut a bunch of them down

This is private property, which happens to be overgrown, the trees handle tons of snow and my 4runner didn't actually hurt any of them, and I had permission to do what I did.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 186249
Fast forward a bit, and I got bored and cut the rear lower quarters to allow for more uptravel without contact, and to fix my 4ADS (4Runner Ass Drag Syndrome)-causing departure angle.

After welding crappy thin Toyota sheet metal, doing a bunch of trimming and grinding, filling with that hairy fiberglass bondo stuff and doing more than a little bit of sanding, I had this:

Last edited by Firerunner; 12-14-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Firerunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 186249
My father-in-law and I decided to go snowshoeing today at Chilkoot Lake (About 7000' elevation, for those out of the area).

I got up to Cold Spring Summit in 2wd. The looks on the faces of the youngsters at the top, complete with yuppiefied bolt-on part Jeeps, who, according to the tracks in the road had had trouble getting that far, was priceless when we got out to lock the hubs before plowing off the main road toward the lake trail. We were following one set of tracks, but caught up to them quickly enough.

Four high school kids in a 3rd gen e-lockered runner. They had BFG A/Ts, and that was about it. No shovels, no recovery gear, no winter clothes, no food, and their communication solution was a cell phone that was at least an hour walk in 2' snow from a signal- if you knew which way to go. I'm pretty sure one of the young men was wearing Sketchers and tights!

Anyway, we got them unstuck and sent them back from whence they came.

The lake was awesome. Nothing wheeling-related to follow, but sometimes, we ought to drive as far as possible, then see what is around the next corner anyway.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 186249
Update to a really really old thread:

The truck had electrical issues since the initial fire. Finally, I pulled every wire out of it and started over. I got the engine harness done, then work responsibilities took over, I found a good deal on a 04 double cab Tacoma, flatbedded that, stuffed 35s under it, let a friend take the Firerunner to finish the wiring, he got sidetracked, I moved, had another kid....

Meanwhile, I found my highschool car, a '64 Baja bug with a bus swingarm reduction box transaxle, rotting in a field. Got it back, stated cleaning the body up...

Rebuilt my wife's 97 5 speed 4runner after she rolled it.

Started building a 95powerstroke camper van / tow rig.

Picked up a 91 FJ80 to rehab for my wife because the 4runner is too small now...

And kept playing with Harleys and vintage Yamahas...

Hey, life happens. I was going to sell the firerunner, but then I looked back through this thread and the much longer early build thread on yotatech. It's not worth enough money without running to sell as is.

My current idea is to sell the body, Softopper, and title. Keep most of the frame, drop the vw body on it, do a rear radiator / front engine truggy- style build....
Old 04-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerunner View Post

The truck had electrical issues since the initial fire. Finally, I pulled every wire out of it and started over. I got the engine harness done, then work responsibilities took over, I found a good deal on a 04 double cab Tacoma, flatbedded that, stuffed 35s under it, let a friend take the Firerunner to finish the wiring, he got sidetracked, I moved, had another kid....

Meanwhile, I found my highschool car, a '64 Baja bug with a bus swingarm reduction box transaxle, rotting in a field. Got it back, stated cleaning the body up...

Picked up a 91 FJ80 to rehab for my wife because the 4runner is too small now...

Hey, life happens. I was going to sell the firerunner, but then I looked back through this thread and the much longer early build thread on yotatech. It's not worth enough money without running to sell as is.

My current idea is to sell the body, Softopper, and title. Keep most of the frame, drop the vw body on it, do a rear radiator / front engine truggy- style build....
What do you want for the soft topper?
Rubirunner85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 09:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
ROKRAPR

Member # 63382
Send a message via AIM to Diablo169
Quote:

I feel like many Pirate members can see themselves in this post.

Enjoyed the read, and I wish I never gave my high school truck to cash for clunkers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"14 Bolt don't give a shit. It takes what it wants."
-Little Sluice Memorial Weekend 2012
Diablo169 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo169 View Post
I feel like many Pirate members can see themselves in this post.

Enjoyed the read, and I wish I never gave my high school truck to cash for clunkers.
I watched this thread from the first post. I couldnít believe it was 2011 it didnít feel that long, op how much for the rig, or keep it and finish it some day.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 186249
Softopper is in fantastic shape. One of the plastic clips on the rear broke right away but it doesn't seem to affect anything. If I could get 5 for it I'd be pretty happy with that.

The body and title I'd probably sell for 750.

But.... I might have a local deal rolling. A friend has a set of housings that are already set up for links. I might do some horse trading for that.

I've got to move some projects around before I can start back up on this. Once the E350 and a 53 Jubilee project are off my property, I'll have room to bring this to the house and get moving on it again.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 777769
Quote:
Softopper is in fantastic shape. One of the plastic clips on the rear broke right away but it doesn't seem to affect anything. If I could get 5 for it I'd be pretty happy with that.

The body and title I'd probably sell for 750.

But.... I might have a local deal rolling. A friend has a set of housings that are already set up for links. I might do some horse trading for that.

I've got to move some projects around before I can start back up on this. Once the E350 and a 53 Jubilee project are off my property, I'll have room to bring this to the house and get moving on it again.
Shoot me a pm, Iím in Tracy. Iím interested

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in