Santa Cruz mountains 4wheelin - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northern California
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2014, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 117977
Santa Cruz mountains 4wheelin

25 years ago I used to wheel at a couple of places in the Santa Cruz mountains called " rattle snake road " and " buzzards lagoon " off hwy 17 up summit road . Just wondering if you can still go there , or if anyone remembers going.

Quote:
There are two things you don't purchase for women, it's tits or tires. If they get either of them they are gone.
Carry on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
james90toy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 13438
Quote:
Originally Posted by james90toy View Post
25 years ago I used to wheel at a couple of places in the Santa Cruz mountains called " rattle snake road " and " buzzards lagoon " off hwy 17 up summit road . Just wondering if you can still go there , or if anyone remembers going.
Yep Rattle Snake Road 20+ years ago. I remember them putting a gate in ~94. Haven't been back since.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 165240
The Santa Cruz mountains are very populated and the remainder is private property, especially compared to 20 years ago. With all the hippies and tree huggers in that area, it is not very 4Wheel friendly. Closest and almost only wheeling around is Hollister. The Bay Area is the shits for wheelin!
ScoutBurton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 189606
I remember going to Rattle Snake with a friend years ago for my first ever off road jeep experience. I can for the life of me find that freakin place. I remember its being off 17 and down Summit road for quite a while, but cant seem to find where the trail begins. We went after they put a wall up blocking it off but were able to over and around the wall. Ended up wheel quite a ways back in there. Even brought guns and shot of a bunch of .22 rounds.

Does anyone have directions to the Rattle Snake trail head off Summit Road??
PanzerTank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 117977
I wish I could remember but it's been to long . I thought it was about 30 minutes past the summit store . Past a long down hill and then a little ways on the left side of the road ? I would think there would be something blocking the trail . I rember a small creek on the right side of the trail. You should see that from the road . I live around sac now so it's a little to far for me to check it out. .

We would also wheel at a beach up hwy 1 from Santa Cruz called. Scott's creek by a small town called davenport .

Also remember when my dad took me Lexington reservoir when I was 5 yrs old to ride my new 1974 Honda mr 50 when the lake was dry .

Quote:
There are two things you don't purchase for women, it's tits or tires. If they get either of them they are gone.
Carry on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16737
I'm not sure if you can still get into rattlesnake. We used to go up there till we heard they put up a gate and closed it off. Probably get busted nowadays.
I have a ton of pics from back in the day, was a cool spot. Anyone remember the old half buried cars you drove over near the top? Buddy rolled his rig off one one night.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 117977
Yep i remember those cars off the side. Any chance your buddy had a red toyota truck ? Or wheeled with a guy named joe T...

Quote:
Carry on
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 16737
Sounds familiar, it was mostly the "GraniteAddicts" guys. I'll scan some pics and post em. Plus, if I remember right. The road you came out at the top, I thought they put a guardrail in so you had to go back down?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 117977
I remember the "GraniteAddicts" name. I think one guy had a license plate frame that said " rattle snake piece of cake" . Up at the top they put big rocks , then dug a big long ditch and a guard rail. The joe guy had an white 1984 toyota extra cab and i think he painted some kinda stripe on the truck. And the guy in the red truck "might have been orange 1982 ish" had some kinda body lift and then he lowered his motor/trans/case down. I also remember my friend saying that guy rolled it up near the top because his front u bolts came loose turned the axle and flopped him.

Quote:
Carry on

Last edited by james90toy; 01-17-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 16737
Truck rings a bell, especially the orange/redish one. But its been to long and too many beers. My friend that rolled had a soa cruiser on 35s dark grey with a half cab. Late at night and couldnt see well, slid off as he didnt take the line over high enough. Crapy scan of a couple I found.

Last edited by Toploader; 01-19-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Toploader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 117977
Wow. I know that blue Toyota . He was a friend of the two guys I was talking about . I rember talking to the guy with the blue truck about the front bumper . It was made of aluminum .

Quote:
Carry on
Old 01-20-2014, 07:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 16737
Yep, that's John's Toyota. He still has it, looks the same just no shell.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 92382
met 2 guys this am in a red 4runner and a camo 84 x cab that were headed out to buzzards lagoon. Said he might have to cut down some trees but people still wheel it. They were older guys, been doing it for years apparently.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 609738
Santa Cruz Wheeling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker408 View Post
met 2 guys this am in a red 4runner and a camo 84 x cab that were headed out to buzzards lagoon. Said he might have to cut down some trees but people still wheel it. They were older guys, been doing it for years apparently.
any one have information on this? This is my backyard so I would love to check it out one day. PM me if need be

Found some info on buzzards lagoon. Looks like it get closed from Oct 15- Apr 15. Heres the link http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...rd-lagoon.html

Last edited by D1rty Dan; 03-18-2016 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Found info on Buzzards Lagoon
D1rty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2016, 11:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 609738
I hit up buzzards lagoon the other day. Nice little spot, not much for crawling, expect about 2 hours exploring the trails / dirt roads.
D1rty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in