moving from so cal to nor cal - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northern California
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
moving from so cal to nor cal

Any one move from so cal to nor cal? How was the adjustment?

I am in Santa Clarita, Ca just over the grapevine near six flags magic mountain and moving to the Sacramento area in the next few months.

I'm currently 130 miles from hammers and do 5-8 trips a winter...I think its a trade off with the rubicon and fordyce being up north (its not like im moving to an area with no wheeling ) and I still plan to go to hammers since my buddies are down here and I can store my rig at my parents house during parts of the winter. What other trails are in the area that are worth checking out now that I will be up there? I am also stoked for snow wheeling.

Areas to avoid or recommend? I have been working all over California the past 2 years and have a general sense. Sacramento itself seems to be hit or miss in terms of safety and how nice the areas are. East of Sacramento (folsom, el dorado hills, rocklin, roseville, etc.) all seem nice and getting more expensive by the month with the little research I have done.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25632
What kind of area are you looking for? What do you do for work?

I'm not super familiar with where you're at, but I would assume the areas you mentioned will probably be very similar to where you are now.

If I were looking at places like folsom, I would look into auburn, it's up in the mountains a little bit, but still not a far drive from Sacramento for work.

You can go further north and stuff gets much cheaper, but there is also less work.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 635025
If you're self employed or independent from the urbanity that Sacramento provides there are many affordable and beautiful options. If you are beholden to the city for work, know that absolutely epic trails and a vast wilderness is not far away at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaAtieToo View Post
What kind of area are you looking for? What do you do for work?

I'm not super familiar with where you're at, but I would assume the areas you mentioned will probably be very similar to where you are now.

If I were looking at places like folsom, I would look into auburn, it's up in the mountains a little bit, but still not a far drive from Sacramento for work.

You can go further north and stuff gets much cheaper, but there is also less work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroopThrowback View Post
If you're self employed or independent from the urbanity that Sacramento provides there are many affordable and beautiful options. If you are beholden to the city for work, know that absolutely epic trails and a vast wilderness is not far away at all.

Luckily, I am not needing to go to sacramento daily for work. I am a rep for a tire manufacturer. I primarily work with large distributors that are in metro areas and they sell to the tire shops. When working with the distributors I can be anywhere from the bay area to truckee, to eureka to fresno. So needing to be in the city isn't necessary, but since I am all over Cen cal and Nor cal being somewhat central is important.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 660762
moving from so cal to nor cal

Made the move from SD to the area a few years back.

We settled on the Roseville area as we liked the schools and central location.

We love being able to get out quickly from here.

I think knowing what I know now Iíd have given auburn or loomis more consideration.

Rubicon and fordyce are big ones. Hell hole is another one plus Barrett lakes and the dusy are along those too.

Welcome to the neighborhood

Last edited by Jethro5; 12-07-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Jethro5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 225201
Also your house budget will dictate where you end up. Rentals are insane right now I really hope you can buy.

I'm all over the place daily for work from Soda Springs to Folsom to Marysville.

Country living with acreage? Stucco house farm? What are you looking for? Kids for schools?

Been here since '99 from So Cal and you won't regret it. 1000x more outside things to do here - you'll never get bored.

Send me an email at [email protected] if you want.
erictylers1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
I plan to buy and can avoid renting. I'd be a first time home buyer, I'm 25 no debt from school and luckily I have been able to save a good chunk of money.

Does that mean I will go out and buy a $500k house first time around? No, which probably kicks the folsom area out. No kids, not married yet but I am with my girlfriend for 5 years and plan to be sooner then later. So schools don't really matter now but that could mean moving again later down the line.

Land and a big garage would be nice but a 2 car garage and jackstands havent stopped me from SAS's and millions of other projects for friends.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseAutoElectric View Post
Those of us in normal or at least some of us in normal consider sacto central calif...

BTW what's your political mentality ?

Norcal could use more conservatives but is already full to the brim with liberal assholes!!!

So if you be a conservative welcome!!
Nobody considerels sac central CA have you ever looked at a map of ca?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Ok, yes truck drives are a special breed
Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
I canít stand Hillary. Enough said
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseAutoElectric View Post
Not true.

Only when I was driving class 8.

OK maybe I'm putting central calif a bit higher than it should be.

Stockton for sure would be the top end of central calif.

And it's also a hell hole some what Oakland but with wets not negros!!
Fresno is pretty close to the middle, I think most consider somewhere around Bakersfield to Modesto central CA. Stockton is probably close to the border but considered nor cal AFAIK.

Stockton has every color, I believe it's one of the most racially diverse cities in the country, along with sac.

Either way, none of this really has anything to do with what op asked.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16680
chris, what are you looking for? 'city' night life and a busy atmosphere, or rural off grid living? You can have either up here. If you are not tied to a location, its a matter of picking a lifestyle and then looking at the sacrificaes that may be needed for your work and home life to coexist. For instance, I live in the rocklin area, but commute to the bay area for work. Does the 90 mile commute suck? you bet, do I miss a bunch of kid shit? yup. BUT, its a balance between safety, schools and pay for me. Your lifestyle is completely different.

At 25, while buying a house would be a great idea, I wouldnt recommend it right away until you figure out what you like and where you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plug ugly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Rocklin to the bay?

You're crazy. I wouldn't last long doing that.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 H3 View Post
Luckily, I am not needing to go to sacramento daily for work. I am a rep for a tire manufacturer. I primarily work with large distributors that are in metro areas and they sell to the tire shops. When working with the distributors I can be anywhere from the bay area to truckee, to eureka to fresno. So needing to be in the city isn't necessary, but since I am all over Cen cal and Nor cal being somewhat central is important.
Check out Jackson and the surrounding towns.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 635025
Quote:
Rocklin to the bay?

You're crazy. I wouldn't last long doing that.

I did grass valley to the bay for four years. Totally worth it.

TroopThrowback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 07:02 AM   #16 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Hey Damon, hope all is well since UA! I get what your saying I go back and forth constantly. Relocation services will move me once, but if Iím local when going from renting to buying in the future it shouldnít be too bad. I hear rent is out of control, so I wanna buy. But Iím not 100% set on where I should live so I shouldnít buy. I go back and forth.

Jackson is an awesome area, so is grass valley. I like the idea of more rural living but it would take an adjustment since Iíve been in Suburbs my whole life. Luckily I have a decent understanding of most areas in CA. Iíve spent some time just about everywhere, from Jackson, to Sonora, to Redding, Eureka, Yreka, central coast, truckee, grass valley, placerville, paradise, etc. thatís been able to allow me to quickly cut things off my list if I donít like the vibe in that area but being there for a few days vs living there is totally different too.

On a very different note, wheeling. We have spent the past 3 summers coming up to the Sierras hitting main trails like the rubicon. Getting to explore lesser known trails should be fun too. Up by Chico there seems to be some good wheeling but I donít know much about it. Driving to uncle toms cabin in 3-4 ft of snow seems like a real blast!
Old 12-08-2017, 08:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 39436
Hit up vertgo on here for housing. Kick ass realtor who understands you want a shop and to not get stabbed.
I'm in Orangevale and there are plenty of sub 500k houses around. Not super rural but you'll get a decent sized yard.

Hammers is a solid 9 hours drive.
Nevada is only 2 hours towing, good wheeling, shooting and whores.
Fresno hills are about 3-4 hours away. Tons of trails out there.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 205120
High lakes is outside Chico. Morris lake is a good one. I've heard lots of stories but never had the chance to get up there. Alot of other easy trails to see the scenery on as well.
530_4runner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Connected him with Vertigo - so happy you'll be up here now

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Nobody considerels sac central CA have you ever looked at a map of ca?
What do you expect from him? He is the Village idiot.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
Check out Jackson and the surrounding towns.
Thatís where I moved from. Itís very nice and close to Wheeling. I would also consider Auburn. Basically try to be on the east side of the city because during the winter itís a bitch to get out of town.

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530_4runner View Post
High lakes is outside Chico. Morris lake is a good one. I've heard lots of stories but never had the chance to get up there. Alot of other easy trails to see the scenery on as well.
Morris is an extremely overrated very short section of trail. It's the hardest trail in the high lakes, sure, but people who never go anywhere else think it's crazy.

That being said, the high lakes has decent wheelin and great camping. It's not a through trail, but a network of trails leading to various lakes. So it's usually easy to find some privacy.

I mean it sucks, the Rubicon is way better!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 1280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Connected him with Vertigo - so happy you'll be up here now

Thx again Bebe!!! I'll take extra good care of Chris~

NorCal REAL ESTATE BROKER - yes I know you need a shop & RV parking...

DRE#01842743

VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 AM   #24 (permalink)
flamethrower

Member # 75270
Send a message via Yahoo to Bebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
Thx again Bebe!!! I'll take extra good care of Chris~

Haulin the Groceries AND Haulin the MAIL
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
I would also go with Vertigo and his 'partner' in crime Frankie(loan guy)

Both helped me a TON on my first home. They took a lot of stress out of the process. And they were a ton of help after closing.

Vertigo also helped on second dingbat house.

Unlike others, I'm up 50 in Placerville or in BFE 10 miles outside Georgetown.

For Placerville, it takes about 25 minutes to get to Folsom proper and probably 50 minutes for Sacramento proper. Except for Friday evening or Sunday evening. Then 50 turns to crap with Tahoe traffic. It has WalMart, Homedepot, and other similar type stores. Depending on location or size, price can go from reasonable to Folsom out of hand.

For Georgetown, it takes me exactly 1 hour to Folsom proper or about 40 mins to Placerville. No major stores so selection can be off as could price. Most of the lots are 5 acre plus as you head out of town. For close to same price as my 2/1(700sf) on half acre house in Placerville, I got 3/2(1800sf) on close to 6 acre with shop pad waiting.

One thing to consider is your internet or TV needs. Out in Georgetown if you want real non-dish internet, you need a lot of luck plus be willing to pay for business class solutions. I was lucky enough to have chance at fiber optic... the price hurts.

Another thing is cell phone. My home in Placerville is in a ravine a cell phone service is a challenge. In Georgetown, I'm on side of hill and it suck unless conditions are perfect.

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in