NEW Hoodoo trail - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 137423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockaholik View Post
We will be having a 2 day work party Sept 18th-19th at HooDoo. We will be building some tree savers and moving or adding some rocks. There will be other stuff going on I am sure but we could use the help. Work Parties will leave the parking lot at 9 am both days. Please bring gloves and a hard hat if you got them. Most of us will be camping at the Ray Benson snow shelter starting Friday night. I am sure we will get in some run time also.
hmm might try and have to make it....just wondering are you guys going to be out there rain or shine?
HornyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 55254
Wish i could be there, but I'll be in Denver for the GABF drinking too much good beer. Will you be out there any other weekends before the snow flies?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 162500
I think i will try and make it up for the work party. My rig is not done yet so is it cool to come with out one? or is it best if you got a rig? Let me know thanks.
mudfun360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #54 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71152
Send a message via AIM to brokenparts Send a message via MSN to brokenparts Send a message via Yahoo to brokenparts
Hey Justin... I assume these trails wouldnt be too friendly to my fatty fj60?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brokenparts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 30331
Send a message via AIM to 77chev Send a message via MSN to 77chev
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenparts View Post
You'll be fine. As long as the body is no concern
77chev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #56 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 71152
Send a message via AIM to brokenparts Send a message via MSN to brokenparts Send a message via Yahoo to brokenparts
The body isnt perfect by any means but I'd like to keep my windshield intact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
brokenparts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 123009
Wink

Sorry that I haven't gotten around to answering any questions but I pinched a nerve in my back and was out of town on Vicodin Airlines. Yes we will be working rain or shine. No you don't need a rig to come to the work party because someone always has a seat. I hope to get to meet some new wheelers out there and I can't wait to wheel the trail again.
Rockaholik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 77531
Question

So I hear the trail is not full width friendly. Please clairify for some of us. Are full size trucks (K5's) not allowed or allowed but expect body damage. For those of us who don't care about damage can we get though without killing trees? I want to go, but dont want eveyone pissed at me
Old 09-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 123009
Any rig should expect body damage on this trail if you are not paying attention. Right now there is no width restriction other than the obstacles them selves, kind of like gas through a funnel or eggs through a hen. So bring your K5 and be a part of a great trail. Bring some friends and then we will have more time for playing after the work party. Camping is free at Benson Snow Park.

I hope a lot of help shows up because the more users that help the better the trail will be. See you all there.
Rockaholik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 08:07 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 30331
Send a message via AIM to 77chev Send a message via MSN to 77chev
Quote:
The body isnt perfect by any means but I'd like to keep my windshield intact.
You can be the first with an FJ60 with a removable windshield
77chev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 156230
Like Rockaholic said, any rig should expect body damage, but hope for the best. It all depends on driver skill, tire placement, etc. a Jeep may take damage against a tree or rock, and a K5 may slide through the same spot with 7" of clearance to that same rock/tree. You should definitely come out and try it at least. You can always jockey around and get a better line on stuff so you don't come out with no sheetmetal left, just don't go through at 100 mph and you should be okay. You'll rub some stuff, probably, but it's wheelin'! My Jeep is on 40's and d60's f/r and outside of tire to outside of tire is about 82" on my rig, and there is only 1 or two spots I can think of that are kinda tight for that width. Also, there are a few trees that the very upper parts of my cage just kiss here and there, but it's all on how much you pay attention. The first time through I probably touched 3-5 trees with the upper part of my cage, second and third times through, no rubbin'. Come on down!!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #62 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
How about the smaller rigs, like a locked and low TJ on 35s? I'm not hard on the skinny pedal, I like to just crawl stuff. Running a hp30 and 8.8 with some other good "small rig" mods on old school MTRs.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 153951
35s will make it, just bring your favorite spotter. and maby a winch to be safe, but im sure you will be fine.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Send a message via AIM to binderbound
I wanna try and run this trail next weekend. Anybody from the CO area wanna go? Just for referance, my rig has walked upper and lower crusher loops without issue. 63 scout, chromos, 37's, blah blah blah.

PM me if your interested!

binderbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 18592
I'm still trying to round up some more info. My rig and the guy I'm going with are not street legal. So, we would like to stay off the roads. How long is this trail from end to end? Can a couple decently built rigs make it end to end and back in a day? The parking area pretty secure?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 153951
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ3BWILLYS View Post
You can cross the road at a 90 degree angle, right out of Ray Benson snow park, to the trail head. I'm not sure about how easy going they'll be on traveling down the road.
going up and back is deffinately possible, but it depends on your driving and no big setbacks. but i wouldnt expect you to have a problem. for sure get a map tho, they are like~ 50 cents at the hoodoo store.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:08 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 75661
Send a message via Yahoo to loopijeepgirl
Anyone coming up to run this trail this weekend...Weather is supposed to be in upper 70's...
loopijeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 06:38 PM   #68 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
The pnw jeep club is going there this weekend. I won't be there but I can give you some info if you're serious about going. Send me a PM with your rigs specs and I'll point you in the right direction.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 50506
Send a message via AIM to bAdYoTa
Quote:
Hey you will be fine just gotta be careful there are some tight parts and offcamber spots that push you into trees, but you would make it through..
bAdYoTa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 18592
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopijeepgirl View Post
Anyone coming up to run this trail this weekend...Weather is supposed to be in upper 70's...
Blaze sr and I will be up there. Lookin forward to it...

Old 09-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 156230
A TJ on 35's with a d30 and 8.8 will make it through. Some of the hard stuff you can try on the sides of the trail may not be feasible, but the main trail should be okay. You should have a winch for safe measure, though.

Also, you will be able to run the trail to the end and back in a day without breakage. If you don't try the really difficult bump outs, you should be able to get from start to end by 2pm if you start at 9am, and you can come back a few different ways, one way takes about 15 minutes on a fire road back to the parking lot, or you can come back on the upper section of the trail which maybe takes 40 minutes, then run down the road under the ski lift back to the road and bypass the whole lower section and be back in about 15 minutes also (after the 40 minutes to come back on the upper section). The parking lot is large, open, and flat. Secure is a relative term I guess, as it just depends who's wandering through, but it's relatively secure I'd think.

Loopi--Are you going up this weekend? I'd like to go, but have relatives in town, so I don't know if the wife will let me go or not, but I'd sure like to!!

To the others that are going, are you going to run the trail Saturday, or Sunday, or both?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 18592
If you see me..

say HI!

We'll be there saturday, 9am.

Thanks for the tips Riddler!

Last edited by binderbound; 09-21-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 75661
Send a message via Yahoo to loopijeepgirl
Not sure if I am going up or not...Was going to head up for the day on Saturday and show some of the boyz n galz the trail if they have not been there before...

I am deciding..The weather is supposed to be in the lower 80s here in Bend on Saturday, so it is PERFECT weather for this trail...I will post if I go...

Some of the boundary signs need to be located where you can see them a lil' betta', so keep an eye out for em'...We did get some arrows up on the boundary signs last weekend and a few more tree savers, so that will help...I LOVE THIS TRAIL!!!

Last edited by loopijeepgirl; 09-22-2010 at 03:45 PM.
loopijeepgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 18592
We ran this trail yesterday. What a blast! it is one of the best trails in Oregon, hands down. It was very challenging and technical in parts. The full size in our group took some good hits to his rockers and quarter panels, but with good spotting, he made it through most of the trail unharmed. The toyota made it pretty easily, a broken turn signal lense was the extent of his carnage. I ended up twisting off my rear drive shaft 100 yards from the road intersection under the ski lift. So I had to bonzia out in front wheel drive and winching. Hats off to the DC4W! Cant wait to see what they come up with next!
rolling out of the Ray Benson parking lot.

Enjoying myself way too much

getting into the big rocks, got a little tippy for BlazeSR

Shoehorning Tom's toyota

twistin her through

turn signal smasher

Big boy making it look easy

little scenery coming out of the trees

Tom on one of the slide areas

My day ending carnage

Last edited by binderbound; 09-26-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 22803
Send a message via Yahoo to tomota
Great shots. I cant wait to get up there. When does the snow start up there?
tomota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in