Looking for a trailer - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 46933
Looking for a trailer

If anyone knows of a trailer (minimum 16' x 7', 7k weight rating, with or without removable fenders/deckover) please let me know.

I have been searching CL for months and they seem to have all disappeared. I am 84" track width, on the XJ, and it rules out most of the ones I have been able to find.

Looking to spend under $1900, I can pick up a new one for that, to have leftover funds for my cage. Wheeling season is right around the corner, and I am making a trip to Wind Rock and Harlan this summer.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 178822
I've got a 16' x 8' flatbed with a 2' dovetail that I built for my buggy. There are no fenders. It has a 5" channel frame, 2.5" square crossmembers, and 2x12 rough cut runners. All steel prepped and painted with POR 15, wood treated with Thompson's water seal. 3500-lb axles, clear title for an enclosed trailer (tongue and axles came from a wrecked enclosed trailer). Pulls straight and true and rides nicely. Spare tire mounted in center, toolbox included, all LED lights. Brakes do not work. $1500, located in Chesapeake, VA.

dwilsonxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 46933
What needs to be done to the brakes? Do they exist on the axle(s), or are they completely missing? Do you have a breakaway box? Last time hubs were done? Ever VA inspected?

Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 178822
There are brakes on both axles, I soldered and shrink wrapped all of the wiring connections on the trailer, and everything is run inside PVC pipe. The brakes set an overload alarm on my controller, I'm guessing something is grounding out inside one of the axles or one of the brakes. I haven't pulled the hubs apart, but everything spins freely and smoothly, bearings are nice and cool after towing at highway speeds. I'm pretty sure there is a breakaway box but can't honestly remember, I had it inspected in November or Dec of last year.

I had an XJ buggy on tons which is why I built the trailer (for the width), but have hauled a K5 blazer with it, no issues. A friend is borrowing it right now to tow his CJ, I'll have it back this weekend and can confirm the breakaway box.

Last edited by dwilsonxj; 02-06-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 46933
Thanks man. Just let me know what you find.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 178822
I looked at the trailer and it does not have a breakaway box or battery.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 49595
I've seen dwilsonxj's trailer in person, good looking trailer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thank you to the companies that have helped me out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RSWORDS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 46933
I will try to come down in the next couple of weeks to check it out. What are you close to?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 178822
Chesapeake is near virginia beach and norfolk, on the way to Outer Banks. Looks like if it doesn't sell I will be using it March 29th for cheap truck challenge in Harrisonburg if that is closer for you.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 96466
I have a 20ftx83" trailer with ebrakes & 5200lb axles Im looking to sell or trade. It has brand new tires & white rims now with new bearings.
Bad deal is we have had this trailer in my family on the farm & have no title for it. I'm picking up a new enclosed trailer in Douglas, GA & would like to get rid of this one while Im there. I will sell it really cheap!!!!!!

I will be in southern Georgia the weekend of March 27th for a Dirt Riot race.

Making racesuits for racer that make you go faster.

Last edited by JaysinDesignz; 02-17-2014 at 08:44 PM.
JaysinDesignz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in