Headed to Florida! - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 166842
Headed to Florida!

So, the wife and I are thinking about relocating to Orlando. Or somewhere near there... It's a work thing....

The question came up last night... "What are we gonna do with the buggy?" I said, "That's a good question... I don't know what they have to wheel down there... It's pretty flat!"

Right now, we're on Cape Cod, so we have to drive a bit to get anywhere good. So, that's not a huge issue.

My question is, how far would we need to drive in order to get to the good stuff? We're not really mud folks, so that's out. We primarily like rocks and dirt.. The Southern stuff...

Any help would be awesome.... We don't really wanna just moth ball the buggy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DoctorWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 137484
You're gonna have to drive. There's Choccolocco, Morris Mountain along I-20 and a few others in central to N. Alabama. A little further north opens up many more options in TN such as AOP, Windrock, Hale Mtn and several others. Short version is you're gonna be 8 hrs from the closest rocks that I know of.

Certainly not a complete list, I'm sure others will have input as well.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 166842
That's kinda what it was looking like from what I've been reading... Not being from the area, it's hard to know if there are places that aren't on the old internet...

We usually end up driving 8 hours to Rausch Creek a few times a year, so it's not out of the question...

Thanks...

Old 08-10-2014, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 29371
Only real options in Florida is hardrock mx in ocala, or lazy springs in punts gorda. Hardrock is an old limestone quarry that can be done in about 4 hours, lazy springs is all man made in an old quarry, same deal can do it in around 4 hours. If you end up in orlando, hardrock is a nice place to tide you over till you travel out of state. If your buggy is street legal you could cruise the ocala national forest, but it's mainly sand/clay roads, nothing special.

I live about 30 minutes north of orlando, for anything that is a challenge or not wet/ muddy you have to go out of state.
93 toyota 60/70 yota/D300 7.17 #3rdgenclampy (sons truck)
UA2015 invited reader
UA2016 returning reader
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 166842
Thanks guys.... Even though it makes me sad....

Old 09-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 105205
The new/old trail I opened up will probably add another hour to that. Besides, you can visit your old buddy
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hard-...26875257390070

Have Cam, Will Travel
nuthinfancy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 158281
Why don't you trade it for one of those swamp buggy things?? !!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
If your buggy is street legal you could cruise the ocala national forest

From what i have in Florida it can't be hard to tag a vehicle. Everytime I visit my family in Deltona FL I see some crazy rigs on the roads. The DMV must be pretty lenient.
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 118467
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
If your buggy is street legal you could cruise the ocala national forest

From what i have in Florida it can't be hard to tag a vehicle. Everytime I visit my family in Deltona FL I see some crazy rigs on the roads. The DMV must be pretty lenient.
Depends but it really just needs a VIN number. Lots of Crazy scary rigs in Central Florida.
Tufrthnails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 166842
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman_1b View Post
Why don't you trade it for one of those swamp buggy things?? !!

Such a dick......

Old 09-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6518
I moved down to Orlando almost 2 years ago form Atlanta. Had no interest in getting rid of the rig. There are a few of us rock crawler guys that travel to TN regularly. If I make it up there 2 to 3 times a year I'm happy and it's worth the trip to places like Golden Mountain Park in Sparta TN.

To get a tag on your rig in Orlando there is a form you can get that allows you to use a notary to verify the vin matches the vehicle. Makes it real easy. Otherwise they will verify the vin matches the car and expect you to have all your vehicles in the parking lot if you show up wanting tags for all of them at once. LOL Sure was funny when she asked me if I had all 4 in the parking lot with me, including trailer, HA!
94 YJ, Coilovers, 5.3 4L60e, D60/14b, 40" Maxxis --Tellico Rally Post #155
2016 RAM 2500 CTD 4x4
Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2014, 04:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 166842
Sweet.... It's looking more and more like it's gonna happen. We're in the same boat, 2-3 trips a year seems to cure the itch. We've been to Golden Mountain. It'd be awesome to be that close! Well... Closer than we are now! Haha

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 187078
You could always sell it and buy a boat... That's what I'd do if we ever moved back.
Pharmguy75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 93203
I am in Tampa we have a group anywhere from about 4 to 10 that make two trips a year out of state normally to Alabama offroad parks. Last fall we did Harlen, KY and in a couple weeks we are going to Durhamtown Tellico and Adventure Offroad Park. Expect 8 to 12 hours for anything good.

Hardrock is there and a couple of private property places, but they're just really good for getting out for a day and having a good time hanging out messing around trying to find something challenging. You can normally make something easy challenging if you try hard enough.

Donkey Motorsports
Ill have another race rig one of these days.

Special Thanks

wheelin352 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2014, 05:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 166842
Thanks guys.... However, it looks like Vegas is back in the running!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in