Places to stay in Harlan - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2015, 07:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 155836
Places to stay in Harlan

We are planning a trip out here for the 1st time. Are there any hotels or cabins close to the park? Names & or numbers if you have them. Thanks
Roaddawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 231507
Putney trailhead, have stayed many places over there over the years but won't go anywhere else but Putney anymore. Google Putney Trailhead.
Craig_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 155836
Those look great thanks. Anything on Evarts side?

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 390554
Call the Everts trail head and they can give you some numbers they are some cabins there behind a gas station
jp fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 02:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 155836
Which ls the better side to start from or does it matter?
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 36365
Depends on what your after. The better obstacles are much closer to the Evarts side and there is gas in town along with food and a grocery store. The Putney side is nicer but is a pretty long trail ride to anything "cool".

I am a fan of the Evarts side but the cabins have gone down hill and parking sucks. Camping is fine but it's in the middle of town which really isn't a big deal. There are several nice houses available for little money though. I wouldn't suggest the white one across from the Chevron though. It's a shit hole. The yellow one behind that is nice but parking is a premium... There is a trailer somewhere that is supposed to be legit. Close to trail head also.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 36365
Best part to me about Evarts side is you only need to bring your rig, parts, and booze (if you drink, it's a dry county). No need for food, gas, gas cans, blah blah blah.... No dead weight to tote to the trip.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 155836
So Putney is primitive? But has nice cabins & long ride to cool stuff. How long of a ride? We have mostly legal jeeps (except the stickys) so can we pop out on Evarts side to gas up & grub up?
Old 01-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 36365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddawg View Post
So Putney is primitive? But has nice cabins & long ride to cool stuff. How long of a ride? We have mostly legal jeeps (except the stickys) so can we pop out on Evarts side to gas up & grub up?
It is a 15 minute trail ride to middle fork playground. That is a 20 minute trail ride to the Evarts pay station. Those times are very estimated btw.

Putney is more primitive for sure. Cabins are nicer than Mikes IMO. You can ride on the road in Evarts. The first day we stayed in Putney it took us an hour to get to Evarts to fuel up. That pretty much sold me on Evarts from then on out.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 231507
Putney has some very nice cabins. If you group likes a cold beverage or two while out Putney is safer (no roadblocks).

Evarts is nice due to the fact of being right by the gas stations and small resturants, but that has always seemed to hold my group up, as we have to wait for everyone to get done riding around town for gas, food, and whatever else they are after! The cabins across from the Chevron arnt all that bad, and one has a nice carport to work under if needed. Buddy's cabins were nice when I stayed there, but that's been 6 or so years ago.

If anyone in your group is new or not wild about bigger hills, Putney is not for them.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 155836
You made up my mind Putney it is we will just ride through the trails to get food or gas no big deal. Thanks for your help. Are there any events there this winter?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 155836
Another question for you guys? Is there map of the trails we can get somewhere? Online or Elsewhere? Do we pay at a gate or buy a weekend pass somewhere? Can I take care of that online? Thanks
Old 02-21-2015, 04:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 390554
There is maps at the gate you can also look at it on there website. There is 2 kinds of passes, a Yearly or 31 day a year is 50$
jp fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 155836
We are headed your way today should be there around 4. We are staying in the cabins on the Putney side. If anyone wants to ride tomorrow come on out. Probably leave cabin around 8 or 9 am.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 36365
Hope yall can get on the mountain over there. They have been getting hammered with snow.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 231507
The trail up the hill from Putney could be sketchy with a good layer of snow. Last time we was there it had ice on a couple sections. Seems that side of the mountain doesn't get as much sun, it was always colder on that side.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 155836
You are correct. We fought to just get to the trail head on day1, Stickies hate the snow & ice. Day2 we went in from Evarts & made it to the top had a blast. Day3 climbed the Putney side we still fought but made it & had a blast. WE did climb Valve stem it had the least amount of snow on it. Some locals said 5' to 7' of snow on top but maybe 2' on day one by day 3 only 18" or so. Can't wait to come back in the summer Thanks for the help
Old 03-07-2015, 06:48 PM   #18 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 18433
I have stayed in the cabins on the evarts side and camped on Putney twice. I like the Putney side better. Its more secluded and the camp grounds are nice. I like being away from town and I came to wheel so having to trail ride to the "good stuff" makes it more fun. Gas is only like 10-12mins up the road then again I wheel a street legal truck so I could see how having to load up a buggy just to get gas would suck. The evarts cabins were OK, but they may have changed since 08 when we stayed in them. The Putney cabins have more ammenaties. We are going wheeling down there the first week of April and staying on the Putney side again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in