Middle Tennessee Emissions Testing - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 157513
Middle Tennessee Emissions Testing

Kudos to those of you who are regular posters around here, because of you I have never had to ask any specific questions. Simply searching the forum has given me more than enough information to complete whatever project I have been working on.

Presently I am considering engine options for my 1987 Chevy pickup and need to know what to expect when I roll through emissions testing in the middle Tennessee area, specifically Rutherford County. Like many I have never had to worry about testing until now. I called and the mechanic made it sound like they would be crawling under the truck counting 02 sensors and checking part numbers on EVAP canisters to make sure the engine had all of the proper smog equipment.

My question is what has everyone experienced? What documentation did you bring along if any? I am not trying to get out of installing the proper equipment, I am trying to make everything go as smooth as possible when I arrive.

Thanks,
Anthony
spanky1205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 157513
Last weekend I ran into a guy who owns an older truck similar to mine that he uses as a daily driver and asked the questions I posted above. He told me that he was obviously no expert but that I should have no problems getting though as long as I could pass the emissions test. He said his truck was originally a TBI 350 but he was able to pass with a TPI 350 with a 4 barrel carburetor and intake swapped on. He said he has none of the emissions stuff that originally came on the truck. No egr, smog pump, etc. and had no problems getting past. He did say they had to lean out the carb a little bit to make it pass the test and he has the catalytic converter installed as well.

What I have read is the emissions guys do not do a visual inspection on anything other than to look for catalytic converter(s) and make sure the gas cap is good. I do not think the guys care if the vehicle originally came with one or two cats. They just look to see if there is a cat installed on all of the muffler pipes. It sounds more like a check the box type of thing. Yes they are there no they are not period. If it is an OBDII vehicle then they do the computer test. If it is not an OBDII vehicle they do the sniffer test.

I thought I would follow up just in case someone came looking in the future.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 15468
Had no idea Tennessee was still a smog state. Or at least areas from what I gather. How far do they go back on cars that need smog'd checked?
stump_puller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 157513
Only certain counties have emissions checks, basically the counties in and around Memphis, Nashville, and Chattanooga I believe. I live in Rutherford county. They check everything back to 1975.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in