South Florida Trails - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 868004
South Florida Trails

Hello all. Any south Florida members around? I've been looking for some light trails, mud trails, and water around the Miami Dade or Broward county area but i don't see much. I know Homestead has the humps, but that' mainly a big mud pitt. Aside from Big Cypress, which i have to go get a permit for, anything else around here? i have found some older threads (2010-2012) stating some around the 997 & US27 area (Okechobee Rd & Krome Ave) around Pembroke Pines, but i don't see anything here. No entrances, everything is closed with a yellow fence. I don't really want to end up with a misdemeanor or worse, shot, for trespassing.
leo2hot4tv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
RXT

Member # 493505
I'm not gonna be much help, but back in the late 80s to early 90s I used to drive a route from Tampa to Miami every week and got to know the area pretty good. I was always looking for trails to visit if I was ever in the area in my own truck (since I've always had family there) and thought there might be a few trails off of 27 near Alligator Alley, and maybe a few near Tamiami trail and Krome.

Back then, there were still lots of land left mostly in western Dade, next to the Glades, but that was then. After 20 yrs, when I finally went down to Miami in 2016, on my way to the Bahamas, I didn't recognize anything. And I have to believe that most of the land and potential trails are now all gone because there were new subdivisions everywhere.

This isn't that unusual in Florida. I've lived in St Pete since 1980, and had a similar problem of no longer being able to find trails nearby home. Eventually, all the trails that we used to go to in Pinellas county slowly disappeared. By about 2010 The only places left to go to were about an hour away. And now I live near Gainesville and theres a lot more places to go

Unfortunately you're kinda land locked. You can't really go south because you run into the Keys and there aren't any trails in the Keys. You can't go east because you'll be in the Atlantic. You can't go north because theres about another 70 miles of big cities and towns up the coast. You can't really go west because then you'll be in the Glades and you'll need either an airboat or a swamp buggy, or you'll have to travel about an hour across the Tamiami trail or Alligator Alley to go to Naples, which is also growing fast, and losing trails too. The only possibility maybe near Okeechobee or up 27, but then, all thats sugar cane. There maybe something locally, but I couldn't tell you.

If you need a permit to access Big Cypress and it's the only game in town, then I would embrace that. Other than that, your only other move is to travel upstate to North Fla for weekend get-aways and look into some of the off road parks.

Ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in