South Carolina? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 128573
South Carolina?

Just found out I might be sent to South Carolina for a year on special assignment (for work) and Im wondering if I should bring my junk with me. So whats the wheelin like? I think I will be near Charleston but not 100% sure. If I brought my junk, I would be buying a trailer when Im there so I would be able to get to wherever the rocks are....

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
-Boosted- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 44856
Send a message via AIM to DownNDirty
There really isn't much in SC, but there is a good bit that is a short tow away. Harlan Ky, River Rock GA, Morris Mountain AL, Grey Rock AL, Windrock TN, and many others. Sure it could take 4-10 hours but it is great wheeling and there are quite a few of us around that go.
DownNDirty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 128573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownNDirty View Post
There really isn't much in SC, but there is a good bit that is a short tow away. Harlan Ky, River Rock GA, Morris Mountain AL, Grey Rock AL, Windrock TN, and many others. Sure it could take 4-10 hours but it is great wheeling and there are quite a few of us around that go.
Cool, I think I will have my rig trucked there and just buy a new tow rig and trailer. I would like to hook up with some groups that make these roadtrips so I dont end up wheelin alone....lol.

I should know more in a week as to if and when I will be there.

Thanks for the info.

Bill

Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 79367
There is a few of us wheelers down here, I'm in the myrtle beach area.

Check out usjeeps.com for most of the mid to upstate clubs for wheeling trips, and coastalcarolinaoffroad.com for the coast! I go regulary to Harlan,KY (use to go to tellico!) Uwharrie national forest and everyother year to Moab.... Come on down
Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 128573
Gonna need to buy a trailer when I get there....any tips on where the best place is to get a 16 foot tilt bed?

Thanks, Bill
Old 04-10-2009, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 116422
Can't help you on the tilt bed, but here is a link to the Gulches. Its about an hour from where I live and a couple hour drive from the MB area.
http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/
You have flat land beaches on one side of SC and mountains on the other.
surfnturf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 128573
Saw some youtube video of Telico....cool stuff. So how long of a drive from Charleston is that? Is it worth the drive? Anything closer worth checking out?

Thanks again for the replies. Ive been checking into trucking my rig down and want to make sure I get to go wheel as much as I can to justify the cost.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 92235
Tellico is temporarily closed. Gulches and River Rock are nice 2 day places. Harlan is our new premier wheeling destination. Several other spots available in Tennessee and Alabama.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 128573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftoy507 View Post
Tellico is temporarily closed. Gulches and River Rock are nice 2 day places. Harlan is our new premier wheeling destination. Several other spots available in Tennessee and Alabama.
Sweet, looking forward to getting this assignment. If I do, I should be there by the end of the month.

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 128573
Its official....I got the call today. I will be in Charlette next week. My rig should be there by the beginning of next month so hopefully I will be able to hook up with some of you and do some wheelin.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Bill
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16809
if you are coming to charleston bring your mud bogger... it is flat here. now, depending where you are coming from you might be able to hit river rock, in millagevile ga or the gultchs, with is laurns sc. there is nothing here worth hauling your junk for... unless you want to meat up with some folks and we can stand around it and talk shit about it!

BigGreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 128573
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreenMonster View Post
if you are coming to charleston bring your mud bogger... it is flat here. now, depending where you are coming from you might be able to hit river rock, in millagevile ga or the gultchs, with is laurns sc. there is nothing here worth hauling your junk for... unless you want to meat up with some folks and we can stand around it and talk shit about it!
I understand there isnt anything in Charleston, but I do plan on making as many road trips as possible. River Rock and Gultch's are on my list of many places to go. However, if you prefer to come over, stand around my rig and talk shit about it, that will work too.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 112858
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftoy507 View Post
Theres also Uwharrie if you just HAVE to get out and go somewhere...easy day trip from Charlotte

Theres also
Mountain City, TN and Windrock/Coal Creek, TN
tigerfan00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in