Harlan-Must Hit Trails - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 124536
Harlan-Must Hit Trails

There's been plenty of discussion of the Harlan, KY trail system. I'd like to have it all in one thread though and open it up for everyone to post their favorite trails/obstacles. I've been there a number of times, and still haven't found everything.

This will be handy info since I think a lot of people are planning to attend the memorial day ride this year. Apparently more and more land is going to become accessible so this could serve as a running list for new stuff as well.

So, everyone post up what they've found while there (and how you got there)... maybe give some specs on your rig too so the rest of us can plan accordingly. (ie. someone w/ 33's wouldn't want to drive 3 hrs to find a certain trail only to find out its impossible for them)
Hunter82i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 26806
Send a message via AIM to heepr
Personally I like ledge trails so I have been a longtime fan of stuff like the railbed waterfall and lower damnation. We were up there last weekend and lower damnation was quite the challenge for our rigs on 40"s

we also found your turn and underestimated for the first time. I started up underestimated and it kept getting steeper and steeper and then ran out of traction and turned around. It's a tough one. underestimated did not look that well traveled, but I think there have been a lot of people that did not know exactly where those two trails are.

You really can't go wrong at harlan. Just give yourself enough time to hit all the trails, and even then you won't want to leave.
heepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 99310
the new map shows a little bit more but it is still confusing

Old 04-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 124536
Quote:
Originally Posted by heepr View Post
Personally I like ledge trails so I have been a longtime fan of stuff like the railbed waterfall and lower damnation. We were up there last weekend and lower damnation was quite the challenge for our rigs on 40"s

we also found your turn and underestimated for the first time. I started up underestimated and it kept getting steeper and steeper and then ran out of traction and turned around. It's a tough one. underestimated did not look that well traveled, but I think there have been a lot of people that did not know exactly where those two trails are.

You really can't go wrong at harlan. Just give yourself enough time to hit all the trails, and even then you won't want to leave.
I have been to both trails, it will be interesting to see how they change once more and more people find them. Did you try Crawford's Cry while there? I think it's the one right across from the top of Your Turn. Got denied the first try on 40 Iroks and 109" WB. We'll see who wins this time w/ the new 42" rockers and 114".
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 127761
Lions den is my favorite trail in harlan. It is not the hardest but it is definitly a must see trail if you go to harlan. Don't even think about trying it unless you don't mind some body damage or at least some fresh scratches. I don't know about anyone else but as soon as i drop down into it it feels like I just went back to midevil times. If your rig is not up to it, go up there an watch everyone else that tries it. I think It is well worth the drive up there just to check it out.
uglyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 124536
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyoffroad View Post
Lions den is my favorite trail in harlan. It is not the hardest but it is definitly a must see trail if you go to harlan. Don't even think about trying it unless you don't mind some body damage or at least some fresh scratches. I don't know about anyone else but as soon as i drop down into it it feels like I just went back to midevil times. If your rig is not up to it, go up there an watch everyone else that tries it. I think It is well worth the drive up there just to check it out.
I'll definitely be checking this one out. How long does it take to get there?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 67517
[QUOTE=heepr;9735114]

So where is your turn & underestimated? I know the park pretty well, but I'm not aware where these 2 are. We're heading back on memorial weekend.

Lion's Den has some BIG rocks. It's not far from the exit of mason jar.

Thks,

Low Lock

Last edited by lowlock116; 04-27-2009 at 08:37 PM.
lowlock116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 127761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter82i View Post
I'll definitely be checking this one out. How long does it take to get there?
Lions den is about a 20-30 miniute ride from lower rock garden. It is on the new maps. Last time we were there only place that had the new maps was the chevron on the left just before you get into evarts.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
x2

Dana 70 kits $300 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. . Sterling 10.25 kits $390 -->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dana 60 front 3/4 ton kits $295-->
. .
GubNi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 127761
[QUOTE=lowlock116;9751748]
Quote:

So where is your turn & underestimated? I know the park pretty well, but I'm not aware where these 2 are. We're heading back on memorial weekend.

Lion's Den has some BIG rocks. It's not far from the exit of mason jar.

Thks,

Low Lock
From Baileys creek trailhead stay straight on trail 10 going up the mountain past trail 12. Take the first left once you pass trail 12 onto trail 12 A. when you get to the creek crossing underestimated will be on your left, and your turn will be directly in front of you. I'm heading down May 7-10. These 2 trails are on my list of must do's this time. Last I was there i found them but it was so muddy and there was so much water coming down your turn we decided to wait. I'ts just no fun breaking in 2 feet of water when it's raining.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
I don't know if there is an on line map, but that would help.

Some of the more difficult trails are

creampuff (waterfall near by)

lions den

tail gate (most people don't know about this one)

little jagger

upper rock garden with can opener

big perm

your turn

underestimated

mason jar

pony hill (virtually impossible)

lower damnation

I'm sure there are others I have forgotten also.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->

. .
Old 04-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 127761
Quote:
Originally Posted by GubNi View Post
I don't know if there is an on line map, but that would help.

Some of the more difficult trails are

creampuff (waterfall near by)

lions den

tail gate (most people don't know about this one)

little jagger

upper rock garden with can opener

big perm

your turn

underestimated

mason jar

pony hill (virtually impossible)

lower damnation

I'm sure there are others I have forgotten also.
Whats the shortest wheelbase rig you have ever seen climb "tailgate"? I'm at 104 , and I haven't got the nerve yet to give it a try. All I can think of is how many times I'm going to roll on the way back down.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 67517
Quote:
Whats the shortest wheelbase rig you have ever seen climb "tailgate"? I'm at 104 , and I haven't got the nerve yet to give it a try. All I can think of is how many times I'm going to roll on the way back down.
Tailgate is near the middlefork playground. I had heard someone last fall dug it out with some 54 boggers.

So where is Big perm???
Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 26806
Send a message via AIM to heepr
Yep those are good directions to your turn that ugly posted up, and nice list of hard trails gubni. I agree, lions den is a lot of fun too. We found tailgate this past time but there's no way I could tell you how to get there without cheating off the map.

big perm is the trail near middle rock garden that parallels grapevine right? or am I getting mixed up.
heepr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 67517
Quote:
Yep those are good directions to your turn that ugly posted up, and nice list of hard trails gubni. I agree, lions den is a lot of fun too. We found tailgate this past time but there's no way I could tell you how to get there without cheating off the map.

big perm is the trail near middle rock garden that parallels grapevine right? or am I getting mixed up.
Ok, I know that hill,but didn't know that's it's called Big perm. It's a good hill.

Low Lock
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 127761
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlock116 View Post
Tailgate is near the middlefork playground. I had heard someone last fall dug it out with some 54 boggers.

So where is Big perm???
I have actually been there a few times, once even drove all the way up to the steepest part then got nevous and backed down. Just curions what kind of wheelbase others have done it with and not felt like they were going to roll over backwards.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
3Cs

Member # 45122
Lions Den, Mason Jar, and Canopener are all fun spots. The only way I made Crawfords Cry was by pulling cable. We were there in the fall after a ton of rain, the top was so dug out that my 38's didn't stand a chance.
A number of us are going to be there Memorial weekend, is there something going on?
3Cs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 92235
Next time you try lions den. Go to the left of the tree over the big rocks. I did it at the spring crawl. Just trying a new line and it worked. I beat the crap out of the DOA racing engines F toy to clear this side. Two other trick rigs behind me were denied. Gotta love big HP four cylinders and leaf springs.

Also after you slip through the can opener look to your right. There is a ramp shaped rock that is fun. Too slow and you will high center with all 4 wheels hanging in the air. Too fast and you will end up on your lid or side. Not tough. Just technical.

Last edited by ftoy507; 05-05-2009 at 06:26 PM.
ftoy507 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 41098
I always thought the left of the tree was the line to take,
custom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 122636
lions den

I heard of a blue buggy that turned around in lions den
Ramrod50cal. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 96437
turned around

ive seen a blue yota and go in from the backside all the way to the first ledge turn arounf and go back out. also a sami and a yj entered the lions den from the side and dropped off the big rock to the right of the tree in the middle of the lions den. both without winch or help. sami on 35s yj on 39s same sami drove over the rock to the left of big tree where people put one tire on it and other against the tree.
macm715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 06:09 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 41098
My buddy took a yj on 42 backwards all the way out the first ledge.
custom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 124536
What would you guys say would be the smallest tire size you would try lion's den with. I've never tried it but I'll be going down memorial day weekend this one is on a must hit list.

I'm not worried about mine but some of the guys in the group only have 33's. Is there a bypass trail?

Just trying to get a feel for how to organize the group.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #24 (permalink)
Disc brake guru

Member # 25927
Quote:
I'm at 106 so I think you'd be fine as long as you don't let up on the gas and are quick with the steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlock116 View Post

So where is Big perm???
It's right before the middle rock garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter82i View Post
What would you guys say would be the smallest tire size you would try lion's den with. I've never tried it but I'll be going down memorial day weekend this one is on a must hit list.

I'm not worried about mine but some of the guys in the group only have 33's. Is there a bypass trail?

Just trying to get a feel for how to organize the group.
I think there is a bypass. I wouldn't personally try it without 35's and two lockers.

Dana 70 kits $300 -->

. .
Old 05-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 101159
i enjoyed tailgate...OVER the rocks...NOT around them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in