Big Cypress, Possible Opening Of 140 Miles Of OHV Trails - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Way Over Chicked

Member # 121339
Send a message via Yahoo to HITMONEY
Big Cypress, Possible Opening Of 140 Miles Of OHV Trails

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MI125708/

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectH...rojectId=11164

There will be a PUBLIC HEARING on Monday August 10, 2009, from 4 - 7:30 PM at the Miccosukee Resort and
Convention Center, 500 SW 177 Ave., Miami (Tamiami Trail and Krome Ave.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Built One State At A Time.
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 11982
Man that is great news! With all the closings going on, it is nice to see something trying to be opened. Are you guys planning on attending that meeting? How far is it from Rico's shop? Maybe I can be voice to stand behind Pedro Ramos who seems to be pushing for this. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to spread those links around a bit my friend.
InstaGator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 11982
Found this while I was about to post it on FL4WDA web site. http://www.fl4wda.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1164045283/0#1 Looks like it has been in the works already.

Dan Stewart:
Quote:
Well went to the Big Cypress meeting this week. It was an interesting meeting. I never been to one like it. The gist of the meeting is a workshop to get input about what to do with the additional lands they have in the Big cypress Inventory. From what they said, they have had the land since 1988, but didn't/couldn't do anything with it yet. The NPS (National Park Service) has to do a survey of the land to see if the land can be wilderness spec land before being able to do anything with it, this is set in the rules. OK, back to the meeting. WE arrived and signed in and got to talking with some of the Big Cypress personnel and read over the typed info we were given. Then there was a 15 minute power point presentation just giving the background info on the land, and how large it is, and its history, and a general overview of what this meeting is about. After the Power Point we were brought into a classroom (it was held at a college) and this is where the discussion was held.

The Discussion was a sort of informal talk/brainstorming yadda yadda. The NPS agent (Pat Kenny) was there is a discussion facilitator. He wanted the users to answer 3 questions about what they wanted with the land. The discussion was about ORV usage and a little about the potential Wilderness designation of the land. With that Pat Kenny wrote on a board all points brought up by the users involved. There was also another NPS person that took notes to get everything on record. There were 3 sessions. I am not sure who crowded the first 2 were, but the 3rd had about 15 people in it, all who were ORV users. The session went well, not heated, and it was not meant to be, Pat Kenny did a pretty good job at keeping it a very open discussion. I felt at times i was raising my hand too much to add stuff... and i can see he didn't choose me sometimes to talk.

Interesting things i found out

1. The Wilderness designation is a very long process, can take 25 years to decide, and the process to decide that is fairly structured. I asked about Bias in the decision making about it and mentioned how biased the Ocala National forest people were, and i was assured it was more than just NPS people involved (so take that with a grain of salt) but i was at ease a bit about the answer.

2. Making a wilderness designation for the land doesn't have to be the WHOLE parcel of land. Say they find 10,000 acres to be wilderness material, the rest of the land could be used for other forms of recreation.

3. The Additional Lands area seems to have had a history of ORV usage on them, being legal or not legal, there are established areas.

The discussion session lasted an hour, and general was just there to give the NPS what the local users wanted to do with the lands. Pretty much all the answers the NPS got was the land is to be used for ORV and hunting, just like it was. And the Wilderness designation was really brushed aside, nobody wanted to have anything to do with it and said pretty much no to it.

I raised a point in the discussion about Big Cypress only having one trail available for ORV usage, the rest are for buggies and ATVs only, which is a really large section of trails compared to the ORV offerings. I found out the park was originally setup like that for reasons unknown, as said by the current heads of the ORV section Ed Clark. He did mention that possibly it could be changed, because it was so long ago that the trails were made for buggies only, and now there is a lot of demand to have licensed vehicles to use the trails. I also asked Ed Clark what about Special use permits to use the buggy trails with licensed vehicles, he said that was a question he was never asked, and that the special use permits were available for something like that, so that is a possiblity to use other trails as an organized club ride. So i am going to see about that, given the buggy trails are going to be really deep during the summer, so most licensed vehicles are not large enough to survive.

Another point of topic was the dreaded limestone that was spread out to make traction. They admitted it really didn't do any good. And it was proposed to the NPS that they make a trail system that was labeled as to what level of difficulty that the trail condition was. As to avoid improperly equipped vehicles from tearing stuff up. And it was made apparent to the NPS that ORV users bought or made their buggies 4x4 so that they can get away from where 2WDs can go.

There was a lot of other things said, and i may have forgotten, but all in all the meeting was constructive. It was not meant to decide anything right now, but to start dialogue with the local users to decide what to do with the Additional lands they have. This is still a long process, and they will have other meetings liek this. I just have to say, everyone attend these meetings. this is how things start and get done, don't expect the land to just be served to us, we need to work and get more lands available to off roading.
Keep us in the loop HM.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Way Over Chicked

Member # 121339
Send a message via Yahoo to HITMONEY
Yes it is good to hear about something that is actually opening instead of closing..

The meeting isn't all that far from Rics... 30 mins tops.

Here is the location for this meeting..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=500+SW...image&resnum=1

There a re few people that will be attending.. I am gonna try, but Monday's are hard.

I got my info from Southernstylev8 on the JeepTalk Forum.. he is well in tune with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Built One State At A Time.

Last edited by HITMONEY; 07-15-2009 at 01:54 PM.
HITMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 11982
Well, keep us all posted. Also when you see or hear of stuff like this, try posting on fl4wda.com I'll see what I can do about making a trip down there. If I do, you better get the nakud girls ready!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 138521
nice to hear, i'll give the guys over at NOAS a shoute out about this.
06_footy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in