RNIrvin - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 160325
Manual or automatic transmission

New to off road. Want to purchase jeep wrangler 4x. Need to hear opinions about manual verses auto transmission.

Last edited by RNIrvin; 05-15-2010 at 06:31 AM.
RNIrvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 126327
One requires you to change gears and the other does it for you.
wichita lineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 29016
autos are for faggots and amputies, sticks are for thoes that like to handle knobs.

which one are you?
trkklr77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 162290
I would say really, it just comes down to what you are more comfortable with. An auto will still get you there but you need to learn to properly use it. You may still need to shift it from time to time in order to keep the gearing you need to go where you want in stead of just putting it in drive and going. It depends alot also on where you will be going. I read an article many years ago where they used 2 identical jeeps except one was Manual, one was Auto and they followed each other through the trails, off road, and mild rock crawling. The jist of the article was that if you take care of your transmission, it will take care of you. The newer, more modern auto transmissions aren't as fragile as they used to be. You can pretty much do with a stock Auto, what you can with a Stock Manual.

I don't do any major off roading but I have a Manual 92 Bronco and an Auto 08 Ram Megacab. I go both places no matter which vehicle I'm in. With the Ram, I can concentrate on where I am and enjoy the scenery a little more than spending more time keeping the eye on the road/trail ahead so that I make sure I'm in the proper gear as I get to it. Saying that, some times I do catch myself(luckily when no one else is in the Ram) trying to hit the clutch and grab for the gear shift when going down the road. I do love my manual Bronco. I feel more part of the driving experience when I'm actually operating it instead of just driving it.

You just have to decide what is the best fit for you.
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 161164
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkklr77 View Post
autos are for faggots and amputies, sticks are for thoes that like to handle knobs.

which one are you?
I wheel an auto and the wife wheels a stick! She does like to handle knobs but I have all my limbs and love pussy so I'm not sure how that equates!

Seriously though RNIrvin, it all depends on the rig setup and what your trying to accomplish with your setup based on your needs and wheeling habits. So what are your goals for wheeling and experience may help guide you or at least those who like to. LOL! Both stick and auto have pros and cons.

2000 and up before they went to the 6 speed used a NV3550 which has a nice 4.01 1st gear which is nice for crawling. Rubicon's with the 4:1 Tcase, 4.10 diff and lockers are a nice start to get a more capable rig quicker.

If your love the extreme rock crawling and ultimately want a V8.... a nicely built TH350 auto with a throttle body shifter will help ease the R to 1st gear shifts to better your chances out of hairy situation like rolls and flops.

So it all depends. A little more about your goals my help. I'm guessing your a newbie or new to wheeling with the question though. Don't let the hard core folks around here scare you off. LOL!

Later!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProComp, Smittybilt, MLS, DOS, GMZ, CipherAuto, 4WD Factory, SuperATV, JM Rigging, EVOPS, Factory UTV, Filthy MS, 4WP, Ogio, Rockwell, Ryno Power, Slick Products & Ironman!
bmanga is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in