Harlan trail suggestions? (This weekend) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Harlan trail suggestions? (This weekend)

I'll be co-driving an A class rig at the ECORS race on Saturday, but will have my jeep there as well. Any suggestions for some half day trails? Friday, Saturday, and or Sunday? We are camping off of trail 10, if that helps.

The jeep is a locked and stretched TJ on 37"s. Looking for anything short and challenging.

Thanks!
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 45977
You are going to find all kinds of people wheelin this weekend. Find some rigs that are built like yours and fall in.

I would try and hit
Lions Den
Mason Jar
middle rock garden
Railbed,Pinball and Creampuff will be on your left as you come up the hill.
twentyfootdaredevil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 112382
White Tail is a good one too. It's not as far away as it looks on the trail map either.
rstrucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyfootdaredevil View Post
You are going to find all kinds of people wheelin this weekend. Find some rigs that are built like yours and fall in.

I would try and hit
Lions Den
Mason Jar
middle rock garden
Railbed,Pinball and Creampuff will be on your left as you come up the hill.
Sorry for the noob questions. I usually do way more research before posting, just ran out time for this trip. Those trails you listed, would you consider each one of those "half day" trails or shorter?

Ideally, I would like to crawl around on something Friday afternoon, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 107882
Send a message via AIM to MTUBlaZeR2
Lions den and mason jar will take some time as they are the furthest away from the main area of the park. Those will take a half day to do. I'd suggest hitting them one after the other because they are pretty close together.

Middle rock garden is a play area, so you can spend as much or as little time on it.

Railbed, pinball, and creampuff are real short. Creampuff is a steep climb. Railbed is only a hundred yards or so long.

Killin time is short and a fun trail, along with lower damnation. Both short and close to lower rock garden area...

I'd try to hit up whitetail trail. Its a fun trail with some challenging climbs and shouldn't take more than an hour or two depending on # of rigs.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUBlaZeR2 View Post
Lions den and mason jar will take some time as they are the furthest away from the main area of the park. Those will take a half day to do. I'd suggest hitting them one after the other because they are pretty close together.

Middle rock garden is a play area, so you can spend as much or as little time on it.

Railbed, pinball, and creampuff are real short. Creampuff is a steep climb. Railbed is only a hundred yards or so long.

Killin time is short and a fun trail, along with lower damnation. Both short and close to lower rock garden area...

I'd try to hit up whitetail trail. Its a fun trail with some challenging climbs and shouldn't take more than an hour or two depending on # of rigs.
Lower Damnation was recommended on my local forum as well. I really appreciate the help, especially on what to expect on the ones listed above!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 115734
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
Lower Damnation was recommended on my local forum as well. I really appreciate the help, especially on what to expect on the ones listed above!
I would hit Lower damnation first, then come out and hit the middle rock garden and killing time is right there. If you have more time then I would head to white tail crawl after that. I have seen your rig and you will be fine on those trails. The Lions Den and Mason Jar are a haul like mentioned but very cool to see the Lions den in person. The vids do no justice.
[B][COLOR="Olive"]Broadsword Racing #762 [/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR="DimGray"]KOH 2011[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR="Gray"][SIZE="2"]Volunteer 2012[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR="Red"]Smile, shake hands with everybody, but always have a plan to kill them.[/COLOR]
JeremyUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 45977
It really depends on how hard you like to ride. if you dont have a big group and you dont fawk around you can see alot of the park in two days.

But that isnt going to happen this weekend I dont think.

I would make sure I took the time to see the trails everyone talks about and Lion's Den seems to be on everybody's list. It doesnt take long to run the trail so you could do that and Mason Jar pretty quick.

BTW I would leave Can Opener alone if you are in a TJ that has a halfway decent body!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 53677
Lions den will be a traffic jam. You get one rig down in there that wants to show off for the crowds that will surely be there...and he goes boom. You are stuck in there behind him waiting. There is not really much "let me go around" going on in there. Nor is there really any turning around once you pass the little area after dropping in. I, personally would avoid RUNNING it unless you get there and there arent lots of rigs already there. You cen take the road around (OP's rig is street legal if i am not mistaken [im on nc4x4 as well]) to the back side and come in that way and you are pretty close to it. Saves alot of time getting to it.

The other trails listed are really close and really short and should be doable in a half day. If you are moving and dont get hung up/break too bad you should be able to do Lower Damnation, Railbed, Lower Rock, Middle Rock (with big perm, etc), and Upper Rock (avoid canopener if you like your driver side). in a day easily. You may have to split them up and do half and half since there will likely be crowds at all of them...but you should be fine.

Most of them will have crowds standing around and lines waiting so you can just pull off the main trail, ask where you are...and decide if you want to hit it.

IG: @partiallycommittedracing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
slravene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 96437
hit lil jagger

very short and fun trail only 50 yards long. it is always challenging and try car opener as well short trail only 150 yards long.
macm715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 45977
Quote:
Originally Posted by macm715 View Post
very short and fun trail only 50 yards long. it is always challenging and try car opener as well short trail only 150 yards long.
For a TJ on 37s?

I would leave these two trails alone. They are not something you can't do but your TJ wont like either of them.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 96437
why not

we have had yotas on 35 and samis on 35 on both of these with success you just cant be scared and have some driver skill
macm715 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mall Crawler

Member # 68929
Thanks for all of the advice! I didn't realize how easy it was going to be to navigate around the park, so we were able to hit several of the trails listed above. It rained all Saturday night, so the trails became much more interes ting on Sunday....

We ended up completing:

White Tail Crawl (up)
Grapevine
Pinball (after the rain)
Middle Rock Garden
Lower Rock Garden (both up and down)

We attempted a few others (Lil Jagger, Lower Profanity, Rail Bed's waterfall), but between the mud and the water on Sunday I was having to use too much throttle and just didn't want to break it.

Harlan was different from anywhere I have been. Amazing obstacles and gnarly trails- I saw some climbs that looked impossible! Great weekend over all.

A few pics from the trip-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in