Wheelin around Flagstaff, AZ? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 137046
Wheelin around Flagstaff, AZ?

I may end up moving to the Flagstaff area and was wondering if there are many good trails/ good rock crawling near by? I don't know Arizona at all, did some searching on flagstaff wheelin and didn't really end up with anything. Let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chaps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 80664
not much wheeling around Flag but good stuff within an hours drive. Really good stuff within a 2 hour drive.

There are some OHV sites and lots of dirt roads to hit around town, but not much 'rock crawling' trails. The Cinders OHV area is pretty popular for off-road play time:
http://www.azlro.org/events-main-men...08-cinders-ohv
Old 04-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 137046
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy View Post
not much wheeling around Flag but good stuff within an hours drive. Really good stuff within a 2 hour drive.
Thank you sir, thats not too far but not quite as close as I would like it. What are the driving regulations like could I get away with driving my rig on the street?

Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 105900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Thank you sir, thats not too far but not quite as close as I would like it. What are the driving regulations like could I get away with driving my rig on the street?

You should have no problem with that, some buggies are considered legal here. You may not even need mud flaps as your vehicle is likely considered a "station wagon". Most great wheeling is within a couple of hours of freeway/highway driving.
JJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 132931
if it has reg and ins you can drive it here.
blazerv10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 137046
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerv10 View Post
if it has reg and ins you can drive it here.
That's good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJackson View Post
You should have no problem with that, some buggies are considered legal here. You may not even need mud flaps as your vehicle is likely considered a "station wagon". Most great wheeling is within a couple of hours of freeway/highway driving.
I consider it a more of a "grocery getter". If it was a four door it would more of a "station wagon". Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by Chaps; 04-01-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 10249
Yea no mud flaps on the Cherokees needed in AZ.
My Jimmys is street legal.

AZ Undertaker
ashmanjeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6363
Check out flagstaff4wheelers.com

website is down right now, but will be back up shortly
IRUNROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 134154
Quote:
I may end up moving to the Flagstaff area and was wondering if there are many good trails/ good rock crawling near by? I don't know Arizona at all, did some searching on flagstaff wheelin and didn't really end up with anything. Let me know.
There's good wheeling up here in Flag. you just need to know the right group to show you around. Just be worned that wheeling in AZ. will cause body damage. The canyons we crawl in are tight. Moab is a 6 hour drive, between Cottonwood and Sedona is about 2 hours, Table Mesa is about 2.5 hours. Lot's of good crawling with in a short drive.

Flag 4wheelers is not very active at this point but Let me know when you get here I a will hook you up with some guys that wheel hard.

Mike
oakesmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 105900
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakesmi2 View Post
There's good wheeling up here in Flag. you just need to know the right group to show you around. Just be worned that wheeling in AZ. will cause body damage. The canyons we crawl in are tight. Moab is a 6 hour drive, between Cottonwood and Sedona is about 2 hours, Table Mesa is about 2.5 hours. Lot's of good crawling with in a short drive.

Flag 4wheelers is not very active at this point but Let me know when you get here I a will hook you up with some guys that wheel hard.

Mike
Mike, I may need to get a wheeling fix some time. I only know a few locals to wheel with. Did you ever buy an F-toy?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 137046
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRUNROCKS View Post
Check out flagstaff4wheelers.com

website is down right now, but will be back up shortly
Thanks for the web address man, I'll check it out.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 137046
Quote:

Mike
Thank you sir I appreciate the info and the offer. The full bodied setup is really due to the wet and cold conditions we deal with here in the NorthWest. If I were to move down there I would lose alot of the body, definatly the back half or build a tube buggie. This full body is a lot of weight to lug around all the time.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 134154
Quote:
Thank you sir I appreciate the info and the offer. The full bodied setup is really due to the wet and cold conditions we deal with here in the NorthWest. If I were to move down there I would lose alot of the body, definatly the back half or build a tube buggie. This full body is a lot of weight to lug around all the time.
Flag is not like the rest of the State, We get really cold snowy winters.
Many nights in the winter are below 10 deg. and we get around 5 snow storms a year that bring 12-24" of snows each. Full body rigs are nice to have up here.

Jamie,

I have not gotten a F-toy yet, I am still planning to buy/build some type of buggy though.

Mike
Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 137046
Well fair enough, I did not know that about Flagstaff. Like I said before, I know nothing about AZ but I am learning. Sounds kinda like central Oregon high desert, that's my old stomping ground.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 105900
Quote:
Well fair enough, I did not know that about Flagstaff. Like I said before, I know nothing about AZ but I am learning. Sounds kinda like central Oregon high desert, that's my old stomping ground.
We're classified as high desert. Plenty of ponderosa pine forest up here. We actually have winter, though it never really freezes, and when you get tired of it just head about 45 minutes down the road and voila no more snow and winter.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 201093
not sure if you would be interested - but in May is the Overland Expo (event is in AZ this yr)...not the rockcrawling group, but def a ton of people that like to wheel outdoors.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 137046
Quote:
We're classified as high desert. Plenty of ponderosa pine forest up here. We actually have winter, though it never really freezes, and when you get tired of it just head about 45 minutes down the road and voila no more snow and winter.
Sounds pretty nice to me, I'll have to come take a look around some time this year.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 51266
Quote:
One of these days you, Bull & Rat are gonna have to show us lowlanders some of your trails......
High Country Renegades
Symon623 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 134154
I am going out to do some flexing tomorrow. Give me a call @ six 1 six 836 eight two 2 8 if you want to go. I will give mountain rat a call to see what he is up to.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 105900
Quote:
I am going out to do some flexing tomorrow. Give me a call @ six 1 six 836 eight two 2 8 if you want to go. I will give mountain rat a call to see what he is up to.
May be able to play, just know that I am not street legal. Hopefully my trailer is not blocked in at my friends house. Bull may be working tomorrow, we do not have any east holidays, but I am not sure if he works 8's or 40 10's like I do.

Last edited by JJackson; 04-05-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 134154
Quote:
May be able to play, just know that I am not street legal. Hopefully my trailer is not blocked in at my friends house. Bull may be working tomorrow, we do not have any east holidays, but I am not sure if he works 8's or 40 10's like I do.
We are meeting at 10am at the waynona shell gas station off I40, talked to mountain rat today and it looks like he is doing a run out by twin arrows on sat. But he said he would come out with us tomorrow as well. I may do the run on saterday as well.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 105900
Quote:
We are meeting at 10am at the waynona shell gas station off I40, talked to mountain rat today and it looks like he is doing a run out by twin arrows on sat. But he said he would come out with us tomorrow as well. I may do the run on saterday as well.
Dead Doe wash near twin arrows is fun, I will se about getting away from the kids today though. Dead Doe Wash Dec 26th 2011 (IN) - YouTube
Old 04-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 105900
No chance of me making it this morning.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 192648
Your gonna love az for regulations I drive mine daily pinched and cut up width tons and 40s and cops just waive or pull you over to check it out... But a body lifted ranger on 32s gets busted for mudflaps gotta love station wagons.. I live over in show low about 2 hrs away there is some fun stuff around be nice having another beastly xj in the area.
Shane
Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 86222
Sorry to being up a dead thread... anyone want to wheel Thursday, Friday or sat? I'm supposed to leave to go to work in moab Sunday.... I'm locked on 35s in a xj

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
sandyeggoxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in