Recomend Me Some Fun Scenic Moab Trails - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mayor of Flat Rock

Member # 15447
Recomend Me Some Fun Scenic Moab Trails

We will be there in early Oct for 2 weeks. Not looking for the extreme stuff. Will be driving a lightly modified 2-Door Rubicon (2" lift, winch, 33" tires, skid plates). Looking more for the fun scenic trails with low probability of major damage.

A list of recommended trails would be great or a recommendation on a 4x4 trail guide book for the Moab area.

Thanks for any help,
NIB
Old 06-11-2018, 03:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 268242
Chicken Corners and Long Canyon would be a couple to get your feet wet and won't pose much of a challenge for your Rubicon. The 2 door with a 2" lift is a pretty capable machine.

Here's a website with a few more trails and a map of the area. There area also a bunch of off road rental shops there that rent out UTV's and bikes that have pretty detailed maps you can pick up.

So turns out I don't have enough posts yet for links, but the website is Discover Moab.
jk_inferno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2018, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 100326
Buy Chuck Well's book on Moab, they are all listed from easy to hard, with a map for each trail..
brewbugs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
We just did that.

We ran La Sal pass and Geyser pass. It is up in the mountains with a bunch of different scenic spots.

We ran Elephant Hill. Technical bits with a great section down in Joint Trail. Can go to the Confluence Overlook as well.

But the best of the best was running White Rim trail to the Shafer Switchbacks down to Potash road. We ran all of Potash Rd down to Long Canyon then back into town.

Definitely buy the book ahead of time. Then do some research on Youtube.

We had a fantastic trip taking it easy and enjoying more of the stuff Moab has to offer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 77407
Like others have said, buy the book by Charles Wells. It has everything you want to know. If you don't get it ahead of time, there are plenty of places in town, but I would advise looking though it, and making some choices before getting to town. The trails already mentioned are great scenic trails, but it is almost hard to go wrong. I know you said not looking for anything extreme, but you will be surprised what you can do there with that setup.
Boss444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2018, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 235646
Like Boss444 said, you would be amazed at what your jeep can do in Moab. Buy the Funtreks book (Charlie Wells). The only two trails I would advise you NOT to run would be Pritchett Canyon and Rusty Nail. Everything else is completely doable without damage. How can I say this? Because I have run all the harder trails in Moab with a Rubicon TJ on 33s, with a winch and skid plates.

I recommend Charlie's book, but be advised he is overly cautious and makes shit sound 3x harder than it really is. I suppose it is some attempt at not getting sued??

Don't be afraid to run any trail except the two I mentioned. Maybe I would throw in Moab Rim, just because it gets a little tippy coming down the Z turn if you pick a shitty line. Pick a decent line and no problem. Which is pretty much true on any trail in moab, well except for the dirt roads with the subies and pick up trucks on them.

For scenic, you cannot beat Top of the World. Its stunning. And take Rose Garden Hill out. You will come out via Onion Creek which you will cross about 50 times. Great fun on a hot day.

Then there are the Moab epic trails. The ones everyone does (and you should too). Hells Revenge. Maintain situational awareness and you will be fine. Get shit faced, do stupid stuff, ride out on Flight for Life (seen it more than once). Go out to Hells Gate. Park. Walk up to the river overlook area. Very cool. Check out Hells gate, but don't attempt it without a spotter than KNOWS THE LINE. (not some dipshit who thinks they know the line) In October, that will be tough.

A trip to Moab is not complete without doing the trifecta - Poison Spider / Golden Spike / Gold Bar Rim. Again, nothing terrible. If you have a receiver in your rear bumper, stick a receiver extension in it. You can drag that down the steeper ledges to save your bumper. Otherwise its a real bumper thumper. But not in a damaging way. Going up the Launch Pad on Golden Spike will not be soon forgotten. Just remember, momentum is your friend in moab on slickrock. Speed is not the key, slow, steady momentum. That is all you need. Carry too much speed and the Launch Pad will give you a surprise. Again, not trying to scare you. Do it right and you will be fine. Doing it for the first time is a rush you won't forget! Going across Golden Crack can be intimidating, but I have done it many times in my old TJ on 33s. You can see where everyone goes across and pretty much the line they take. Just don't try to force your steering wheel to turn as you come up, or you can snap a sector shaft and have a really bad day.

Metal Masher is a fun trail with lots of bypasses, so you can choose how daring you want to be. Cliff hanger does not have bypasses and it does have a couple of narly spots, but nothing terrible. (Unless you are afraid of heights....) Steel bender can be a bit intimidating coming down "the fall". But certainly doable, just don't stab the brakes at the bottom - let the jeep run out. Behind the Rocks has an even bigger "fall" (white knuckle). Unless you are up for the challenge, I would probably stay off that trail. Its doable, but you really need to have some time to build up your skills for that one.

Dome Plateau is one of my personal favorite easier trails. Just make sure you do the optional section that takes you to the overlook. That is the best part of that trail. Elephant Hill was mentioned. The highlight of that trail is a short hike to and through a slot canyon called "the Joint" (because it feels like a prison). Its very cool and worth experiencing. Its not real well marked so make sure you get directions from the Ranger at the entrance. Ask him or her to HIGHLIGHT it on the little map they hand you. Its so easy to miss the damn road to the joint. marked for shit.

that should give you some things to chew on.
nucleophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 235646
You said 2 weeks in Moab. That is a lot of time to explore a lot of trails. Something you might want to consider is doing the RimRocker "trail" between Montrose and Moab. (You can run it in either direction.)

Rimrocker Trail -

Its 160 miles of some trail, mostly dirt back roads. On the dirt roads you can easily manage 30 MPH or more. So it is very doable in about 8 hours one way. You can camp along the trail, or spend the night in Montrose or take the highway back to Moab (plan on 3 hours). The scenery is fantastic. Its not hard at all, most pick up trucks could do it. Stock SUVs can do it.

Since you are going to be in Moab for a nice long time, I would HIGHLY recommend doing this hike:

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvis...ry-furnace.htm

But book a time slot NOW!!! They book out months in advance. And of course a hike to the delicate arch in Arches is a must do as well. Plan at least a full day in Arches.

Back to some trail ideas. I mentioned Elephant Hill. In addition to hiking into the "Joint", take the short hike to the confluence overlook. Gorgeous!! You can easily spend a couple of days exploring Canyonlands National Park (where the Elephant Hill trail is).

Here is my standard advice for anyone doing moab for the first time. Trail number one should be Fins and Things. It is rated "difficult" but that is a stretch. It has lots of optional obstacles to tackle. About 15 minutes into the trail, you will come to a large rock fin that you have to descend off of. There are 3 ways down, small, medium and large. Try all 3. Practice controlling the speed of the vehicle on the slick rock. Use Hill Descent Control if you have it. Practice letting the jeep run out at the bottom instead of stabbing the brakes. Then turn around and go up each size. Go up the small, then the medium and finally the steepest climb. Get a feel for how much traction you have on the slickrock. (You won't believe how much traction you actually have.) Practice with lockers first if that makes you feel more comfortable, then turn the lockers off and do it. See, you don't even NEED the lockers! (Be careful not to try and turn the jeep on a radius with the front locker locked when you are on slickrock. There is so much traction the outter tire cannot slip and you can easily break an axle shaft or U-joint.)

Then do the rest of the trail, except for the optional loop near the exit. There is a pretty steep climb back there, probably not the best idea for day one, unless you are feeling comfortable. Its similar to the Launch Pad obstacle on Golden Spike. You can drive back there and check it out, you don't have to do it.

Tuscher Tunnel is another scenic trail I would recommend. The natural tunnel at the end is worth checking out.

You mentioned you wanted trails with a "low probability of damage". I have been going to moab for 12+ years. I organize and lead 2 trips every year. I have had many, many first time to Moab people on my trips, some with ZERO off road experience. We have never had any major damage. And very little minor damage - a scraped flare here, a bent tie rod there, nothing to speak of. (Well until lately when we started doing the harder trails - Prittchet, Rusty Nail, Area BFE, but hey, comes with the territory!)

I might even be out there during that time period.
nucleophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 856092
The Red Rock 4 Wheelers web site lists many trails, most with kml downloads.

I will add to the above comment regarding Delicate Arch: don't go there if it's raining in the Book Cliffs, the road & parking area may flood. There have been several occasions that people have spent the unexpected night out there. Monsoon season is ending, so I wouldn't expect that to be a problem.
moabyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mayor of Flat Rock

Member # 15447
Thanks all for the great trail information. We are definitely using that info to start planning our days in Moab. I apologize for taking so long to follow up. Our trip is still on. We bought the Charles Wells book and it does have great info. We also got the two National Geographic Maps which show many of the trails in the area. Looks like we will have 4 or 5 rigs out there in early Oct. Thanks again!
Old 06-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 45481
Bumping this thread hoping I can get some info or a honest opinion. Iím in Colorado Springs for a family reunion/wedding and the trip was supposed to also extend out to Moab as I had planned on towing my rig but those plans died when the rig didnít get done. With that said Iíd still like to see some of Moab but not kill my tow rig in the process. Iím driving a leveled Ď16 Superduty on 33Ē A/Tís and itís a CCLB boat so Iím realistic with it capabilities. It is a E-lock equipped truck and I have spent a fair amount of time wheeling so I had hoped I could drag this truck around some of the easy trails and have some fun in the process.

Iím not afraid of bumping the running boards or scraping the hitch but Iím sure it would be slow going and I donít want to be a trail tampon...should I leave my truck in town and take a tour or are there some places I can have fun on my own?

Aerospace Tool&Die by trade..Don't call me a machinist!

TEAM CARWASH 2010 TTC CHAMPS
JeffHPK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2019, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 869312
Along with the FunTreks book, you can download GPX files online. Just do a google search and im sure youll find them.
AZBCE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 05:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 856092
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHPK5 View Post
should I leave my truck in town and take a tour or are there some places I can have fun on my own?
I'd rent a jeep when you get here and not risk your truck. Twisted Jeeps has nice rigs and a very permissive selection of trails.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Quote:
Bumping this thread hoping I can get some info or a honest opinion. Iím in Colorado Springs for a family reunion/wedding and the trip was supposed to also extend out to Moab as I had planned on towing my rig but those plans died when the rig didnít get done. With that said Iíd still like to see some of Moab but not kill my tow rig in the process. Iím driving a leveled Ď16 Superduty on 33Ē A/Tís and itís a CCLB boat so Iím realistic with it capabilities. It is a E-lock equipped truck and I have spent a fair amount of time wheeling so I had hoped I could drag this truck around some of the easy trails and have some fun in the process.

Iím not afraid of bumping the running boards or scraping the hitch but Iím sure it would be slow going and I donít want to be a trail tampon...should I leave my truck in town and take a tour or are there some places I can have fun on my own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moabyte View Post
I'd rent a jeep when you get here and not risk your truck. Twisted Jeeps has nice rigs and a very permissive selection of trails.
I concur with Moabyte. Jeep rentals are stupid expensive, but if you get a four door and have a few people to split costs with, it is no too terrible. I have an ECSB F250 on 33" ATs that I will take on easier trails when taking the trail rig isn't really warranted, but there aren't too many trails I would take it on in Moab. It is not that the trails are really hard, but good approach, departure, and break over angles are pretty important for any of the good trails. For reference, a buddy of mine did many of the famous trails (Hell's Revenge, Fins 'N' Things, Kane Creek, etc.) no problem with his '97 TJ with just a 4" lift and 33" Toyo MTs. It had the factory 3 speed auto and 3.07 axle gears too. Obviously he wasn't taking the optional hard lines, but I don't remember him struggling to make it through anything. I would not consider taking my truck on those trails.

If you are set on wheeling the tow rig, Gemini Bridges should be doable, and maybe make your way through Chicken Corners up to Hurrah Pass. Bull Canyon should be good as well, but I think it was pretty sandy in the washes. Pretty much any of the easy "trails" listed in the Charles Wells book should be fine, and maybe some of the moderates. Obviously your big limitation is your size, and I assume body damage wouldn't be acceptable. Mechanically, your truck could handle fairly difficult trails, but your size and lack of clearance is what will kill you.

Personally, I think you'll be happier if you shell out for a rental and hit some of the famous trails instead of tiptoeing around on the easy trails.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 45481
Quote:
Originally Posted by '84 Bronco II View Post
I concur with Moabyte. Jeep rentals are stupid expensive, but if you get a four door and have a few people to split costs with, it is no too terrible. I have an ECSB F250 on 33" ATs that I will take on easier trails when taking the trail rig isn't really warranted, but there aren't too many trails I would take it on in Moab. It is not that the trails are really hard, but good approach, departure, and break over angles are pretty important for any of the good trails. For reference, a buddy of mine did many of the famous trails (Hell's Revenge, Fins 'N' Things, Kane Creek, etc.) no problem with his '97 TJ with just a 4" lift and 33" Toyo MTs. It had the factory 3 speed auto and 3.07 axle gears too. Obviously he wasn't taking the optional hard lines, but I don't remember him struggling to make it through anything. I would not consider taking my truck on those trails.

If you are set on wheeling the tow rig, Gemini Bridges should be doable, and maybe make your way through Chicken Corners up to Hurrah Pass. Bull Canyon should be good as well, but I think it was pretty sandy in the washes. Pretty much any of the easy "trails" listed in the Charles Wells book should be fine, and maybe some of the moderates. Obviously your big limitation is your size, and I assume body damage wouldn't be acceptable. Mechanically, your truck could handle fairly difficult trails, but your size and lack of clearance is what will kill you.

Personally, I think you'll be happier if you shell out for a rental and hit some of the famous trails instead of tiptoeing around on the easy trails.
Thanks , thatís exactly the kind info Iím looking for. Itís just my wife and I so Iíll be covering the whole bill for a rental but it might be 3-4 years till I can get back out here and Iíd like some sights.

Thanks again for the replies.

Aerospace Tool&Die by trade..Don't call me a machinist!

TEAM CARWASH 2010 TTC CHAMPS
JeffHPK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Quote:
Thanks , thatís exactly the kind info Iím looking for. Itís just my wife and I so Iíll be covering the whole bill for a rental but it might be 3-4 years till I can get back out here and Iíd like some sights.

Thanks again for the replies.
I rented a Jeep once from Canyonlands Jeep rental a little over six years ago. At the time a non-Rubicon Jeep with a spacer lift and 33" ATs was $150/day for a 2-door and $175/day for a 4 door. You could do some of the iconic trails (Hell's Revenge, Fin 'N' Things) in these, but if you wanted to do harder trails they had Rubicons on ~35s with armor and proper suspension lifts for $250-$275/day depending on whether it was a 2 or 4-door. You can do a few trails per day if you are on it. Personally I think it is worth it for at least one day over trying to wheel a CCLB, especially if it may be a while before you get out there again.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 856092
I'll 2nd Canyonlands. I rented from them many times until we moved here and I bought one of their jeeps. They have a more restrictive limit on where you can take them (I looked on their web site but couldn't find a definitive list).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in