Top Moab Trails to Hit? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2019, 06:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 74066
Top Moab Trails to Hit?

Some buddies and I are planning to go to Moab the week before EJS in April this year. This will be the first time any of us have been there. I've rebuilt a ton of my Jeep in preparation for the trip (4 linked the front, full hydro, new tires, new rear end, new skid, added 8" of wheelbase, etc). I was already on tons and 40's, the rig should just be better now.

Anyway, I only have 4 days there, unfortunately. I'd like to focus on more challenging trails while I'm there, and have narrowed it down to wanting to do some of the obvious ones:
-Pritchett Canyon
-Poison Spider Mesa to Where Eagles Dare to Golden Spike to Rusty Nail to Gold Bar Rim
-Area BFE loop (but is Area BFE going to be open in April!? I hear it's closed right now, and possibly indefinitely)

I'm assuming those three I listed will take enough of the day each day that I can't add another trail to them, am I wrong?

And lastly, what should be my 4th option for my 4 days there? I have it narrowed down to:
-Hells Revenge (with Hells Gate, hot tub, the Escalator, and Tip Over)
-Metal Masher
-Cliff Hanger
-Behind the Rocks
-Moab Rim

I am there to wheel my ass off, and sun up to sun down wheeling is fine with me. I'm leaning towards Hells Revenge, seems the most iconic of them besides Cliffhanger. Will I regret this decision? Hells Revenge and Moab Rim are both pretty close to town, right? Can they both be done in 1 day? I'm trailering my Jeep for the most part. I'll be with at least 2 other guys with similar rigs, and 1-3 more rigs "slightly" less built.

Help me make my trip perfect, guys. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 856092
BFE is still closed with no apparent work happening -- do not count on being able to go there.

Hells Revenge is in Sand Flats Recreation Area on the east side of town. It's a fee area, currently $5/vehicle per day, or $10/vehicle for a week. If you've never driven on slickrock, I'd do that first to give you an idea of how your vehicle performs. Moab Rim is on the west side of town about 15 minutes from the Sand Flats entrance gate, depending on traffic.

Poison Spider thru to Gold Bar Rim will be a long day.

With Pritchett Canyon on day 3, Cliff Hanger would be a good 4th day.

If you trailer to the start of Pritchett Canyon, be aware that the exit is in the Behind the Rocks area about 15 miles away.

Are the vehicles plated & street legal?
moabyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 14882
i just went for my first time in october. you should definitely run pritchett canyon one day, poison spider/golden spike/rusty nail another, cliffhanger and moab rim the next, and then whichever you decide for the fourth. you're right that hells revenge is very iconic and i enjoyed our time there, but we did most everything there in half of a day. might be good to start with hells revenge on the first day.

pritchett canyon day and cliffhanger/moab rim day were my two favorite from our whole trip and i think we wheeled for six days.

Hey moabyte!!
blay127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crawlin'BC

Member # 21813
Go up Moab rim in the late afternoon. Come down at night

I'd agree with doing Hells Revenge your first day too. Get used to slick rock and what you can do with your rig. Lots of optional fun on that trail too.

2 of my favs are 7 Mile Rim and Top of the World. Not the hardest in the area, but very fun and scenic.

Pritchett is a no brainer. If you have time, when you're done Pritchett, hit Behind the Rocks. Also very fun
Team Crawlin'BC (Pro-Mod #250)
Team Brink Fab Motorsports #312 Co-Driver
Rich Walker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Find me on
CanadianZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2019, 12:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 208176
You don't necessarily have to take the long way back through BTR from the end of Pritchett. You can turn around at the top and come back down for some variety on the same obstacles you hit going up.

Moab Rim is fun, but can be done up to the overlook and back down in an hour or two if you aren't peckering around. Definitely wouldn't plan on making a day trip out of it. Maybe hit Cliffhanger and Moab Rim in the same day.

Last edited by TheHardWay9; 01-31-2019 at 12:13 PM.
TheHardWay9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 856092
Rear Steer is another 9+ trail that doesn't seem to get much press.

Hey blay127!! What did you think of your time on Rear Steer? Do you have a gps trace you can share?
Old 02-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 1663
Rear Steer makes Pritchett look easy. It is above BFE a couple miles. The exit dumps you out on the road (you have to drive by it to get to the start). Stop and look at the exit and decide if you want to try the rest of it. It is a fun trail.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 14882
We did coyote canyon one morning and then hit rear steer after that. Unfortunately one in our group broke an axle shaft on coyote so we ended up with not much time on rear steer before it started to get dark. Rear Steer is no freakin joke! It was also a bit wet when we were there so it was all kinds of nasty. I think we got a third of the way through before turning back.

I do have a pretty good GPS (.kmz) file put together of a bunch of moab trails if anyone wants it, pm me your email address.

Last edited by blay127; 02-06-2019 at 09:51 AM.
blay127 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 862790
any trail you pick for day 4 will be good. there is no bad trail around Moab.

I like Steel Bender, but Hell's Revenge is iconic.

but 4 days isn't enough time, you'll be itching for more at the end of your trip.
LEEROYJENKINS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 74066
Thanks for the help and suggestions, guys.

I know 4 days isn't enough, but it takes 17 hours of driving to get there, so a couple days are going into travel, and I have a big, young family, so for my wife to cut me loose for 6 or 7 days I'm already thankful, so though I'd like to have about 10 days total for the trip, I'll gladly take what I can get.

And I'm really close to talking her into a 5th day down there, so that would be great.

Any other suggestions, keep them coming. I'm going to look into 7 mile, rear steer, and the others you guys suggested. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 856092
If you don't have it or have not seen it, look for Chuck Well's 'Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails' (3rd edition with the spiral binder).
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 74066
My wife actually got me that book for Christmas, I love it. I've been pouring over it trying to decide how to maximize the time I will have down there. A lot of the trails are rated to take 3-5 hours, so I feel like that makes a kind of short day, but didn't know if I was being unrealistic in thinking I could hit 2 trails in the same day or not with load/unload time and transit between trails. Also, there seem to be so many on my "want to do" list that I wish I had more like 8 days to wheel instead of 4, or MAYBE 5.
SkysTheLimit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2019, 02:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 856092
If you want to go out with a group, check the 'Moab Friends for Wheelin' FB page closer to your trip to see if they're doing any runs.

Last edited by moabyte; 02-15-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 55123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkysTheLimit View Post
My wife actually got me that book for Christmas, I love it. I've been pouring over it trying to decide how to maximize the time I will have down there. A lot of the trails are rated to take 3-5 hours, so I feel like that makes a kind of short day, but didn't know if I was being unrealistic in thinking I could hit 2 trails in the same day or not with load/unload time and transit between trails. Also, there seem to be so many on my "want to do" list that I wish I had more like 8 days to wheel instead of 4, or MAYBE 5.
Based on his books for Moab and AZ, in my expericence, the times seem to accommodate a couple minor issues, medium group of new drivers, and photo ops on every rock and view point. Cruising through with a small group of experienced good drivers and skipping some of the overlooks/photo ops saves a bunch of time.
Saluki ATO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 856092
Since Strike Ravine crosses a significant amount of BFE, it's effectively closed. It has been removed from the EJS lineup this year and RR4W is working on rerouting it around BFE.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 866616
it's been such a long time but Poison Spider and the Rim were always my favorites
AugmentedXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in