Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I should start a build thread on this forum finally since I'm sure I am going to have questions here soon and the guys here seem much more knowledgeable than my other forum I usually post on.

2000 S10 Blazer 4 Door Frame and I'm building a 3 link front and 4 link dual triangulated rear, with 86 Wagoneer Dana 44 axles. Currently prepping the frame and axles, getting ready to mock up my suspension with pvc before I buy some DOM for the link arms. I have used the calculators to get preliminary numbers and I will post those once I get things mocked up and adjusted for a final review if someone here would be kind enough to help me look over that part. Oh also planning on running with 37" HMMWV Tires on 16.5" steel wheels (gonna be chevy 6 bolt pattern and will beadlock in the future...)

Andddddd, guess I can't post pictures yet :shaking::flipoff2: So yall will have to wait on that....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like fun... What gears you gona run??? Manual hubs??
Yup warn premium hubs, and I'm pretty set on 4.27s at the moment but I also have 4.56s probably going to end up going to. Haven't made up my mind yet because both those gear ratios put me in a good spot with my calculations, but on one side or the other (efficiency/torque).

Few questions dealing with the 3 link/4 link calculators if anyone can give me some feedback. The link lengths from the calculations page should be from eye to eye on the links correct? Also, I have my upper link sitting about 5 degrees inward from the frame to the axle and 2 degrees downward (so it's nearly flat), should be ok?

Also link to my build thread over on BlazerForums until I can post pictures on here for anyone who is curious. Preliminary 3 Link calculations are also over there if anyone can look them over for me. Currently everything is looking pretty good on placement of brackets from what I can tell. Next I'm going to be plating the frame around where the motor mounts are so my shock towers for the coilovers can sit nice and flat. Thats this next main project and then I can tack all the brackets in place, get some pvc pipe to cycle the suspension and see if it's working as it should.

:eek: Aaaaaaand I can't even put a freaking link in here yet.......:shaking::shaking::shaking::flipoff2:

Well if anyone is interested, I have a build thread on BlazerForum and my username is the same as on here. Once I get to whatever the freaking requirement is to post links/pictures I will......

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hands down 4.88. Thats what i ran in my zr2 blazer and will be again when the 1 tons go under it. It was on 36's and according to every "calculator" i should have went with 4.56 which may have been fine with a v8 but the 4.3l liked the extra little bit of rpm. It pulled better with the 4.88/36" than the 3.73/31".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely consider the 4.88s, but I got 4.27s inside the axles when I bought them and then I picked up a detroit locker for the rear and the dude gave me 4.56s with that so I mean worst case I'll run that for a little while. Idk just depends how funds are looking when I get toward the end of this build. I'm really hoping I can get her finished up by end up spring/summer to be able to get some wheeling in at uwharrie. Plus my command is talking about moving people around by summer so it's kinda full steam ahead at this point to get it done.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone in need of an 8.8 eaton detroit full locker and 4.56 gears? LOL Turns out the gears I picked up awhile back are hp 44 front and 8.8 rear when the guy told me they were all 44 and a truetrac. Oh well, because I found another guy selling 2 sets brand new 4.88 gears and install kits for a killer deal. They are for a tj rubicon 44s but from my research the only difference will be the pinion seal from the install kit. Any chance anyone can verify that before I go pick it up this weekend?

On another note, finally put in my final order from Ruffstuff for my rearend goodies and trusses :) So hopefully will be able to get back to welding and building this thing this weekend. 125 doll-hairs for shipping all that beef to my buddy's house :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I think I might actually be able to post some pictures now, let's see how this goes... Again if anyone wouldn't mind looking over these calculator results and giving some feedback. Just waiting on 4 link rear parts in the mail now/build tranny x-member and then can start burning everything away if it cycles the way I want it to

Front:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Little update:

I did end up picking up 4.88 gears. They're initially for a TJ Rubicon 44 but apparently the only difference between that axle and a standard 44 is the pinion seal. But spent 4 days in the garage this weekend and finally got most of the front end in place now. 2 days of measuring and math, and the other 2 days full of welding. Only things left for the front end are figuring out the steering (still trying to find me some flat top knuckles...), then track bar, then put the truss in on the axle. Next weekend my buddy and I are tackling the dual triangulated rear end. Should be interesting!

Initial Flex Test for clearances:

And a little action shot of me for fun :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update since it has been awhile. Finished mocking up/tacking my four link in the rear. I've cycled the suspension a few times now and everything seems to be looking pretty good. Just going to verify my numbers that are on the frame do for sure match everything that I have in the calculator today and hopefully be able to get ahold of filthy motorsports today for a little phone call....the real expensive part is coming soon....hope some people are still following along so I can get some feedback and opinions from different points of view. My calculations gave me 76% anti-squat where the links sit now, and if i move to the other positions on the brackets it'll take me to 90% and 107%.

First beadlock put together and everything looks as it should. Ready to order 4 more custom wheels to turn into beadlocks!

Linkage Pt 1

Booty Shot

Super impressed with this de-ruster stuff. Disks I got with the axles were brand new, just rusted to crap.

And about 12.5" of droop on DS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Realized I haven't updated my thread at all in awhile. Been some progress and hopefully in the next couple weeks will finally be ready to body swap the Blazer body onto this awesome Blazer 2.0 frame! All that's left is a little finishing work/welding and a little bit of planning for bumpstops and limit straps. I also still want to go back and rebuild the transmission crossmember because what I did in the beginning is just down right ugly and I need a tubing bender....anyone in NC have one and want to bend a hoop for me? LOL This is the "I just bought King coilovers so I'm broke" me.... Once the little things get done hopefully this weekend will be blasting the whole frame and ready for some Eastwood extreme chassis black paint and be minty fresh! Also got all my new energy suspension mounts so hopefully this will be swapped soon!!!

Because I felt cool and weld life

Actual links made out of DOM finally and full flex test

Junk blazer body on frame to give me an idea of what I'll have to cut

Tapped my steering box for hydro assist and rebuilt it with a kit from west texas offroad along with an astro van internals. If anyone needs help doing this, I got you. Took me an entire day and a half to get this stupid thing back together. BTW the ball bearings are a pain in the [email protected]@

Steering box assembled and mocked in place. Still need to build a frame plate for it I think

Fuel tank from a 2 dr blazer mocked up in place and also some frame reworking for coilover clearance to axles

Another look at gas tank and also axle at full droop

Front axle at full droop with all steering finally tacked together. My steering arm and track bar ended up within a .5 degree difference which was either perfect planning or good luck...not sure which anymore haha

And lastly for now, my jeep buddy (Pope) and I in the back of mock up. She's gonna be tall...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess I haven't updated you guys on my build progress in awhile. Literally just finished getting the truck back on its own weight here right before Hurricane Florence rolled in (perfect timing)! Let me know what yall think!

Finished painting the frame with Eastwood chassis extreme.

This part was sketch but got it done. Swapping frames under the body.

Cut the rear tub for shock hoops, need to cut some more out.

Beadlocks all finished up

Rear end all together now

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Front end finally coming together. Gearing the front took way too long :shaking:

And back on its own weight literally night before hurricane florence

1 - 20 of 23 Posts