Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some info for a buddy.

He has a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has the 4.7 V8 motor.

Not too sure if the following is true, but he stated he has a cooling fan that runs off the power steering pump in some fashion. I have not seen it, so I cant verify this or go into much more detail. Is there a way to swap a regular fan into the Jeep? He mentioned some models have a regular fan with a clutch mounted to the water pump and some models have the fan running off the power steering. His current fan setup is on it's way south and the dealer replacement parts are several hundred bucks. I suggested he just run some sort of electric fan from Summit/Jegs (something along those lines). What say Pirate?

I am not a Jeep person at all, but he helps me out a ton -- so here I am. :D

·
Vendor
3,519 Posts
Yep he has a hydrualic setup, powered off the power steering system, what part is going south?

The power steering pump has some changes over regular ones (fitting diameters, possibly valving difference?). Also different power steering reservoirs for the extra line(s).

The jeep throws a check engine light if it's not happy with what it sees coming from the solenoid that actuates that fan, so if you get rid of it you'll have that to worry about

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He says the fan bearings appear shot. Basically, it will no longer free spin -- it is locked into place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Trying to get an edumacation here so please help me out. I have never heard of a fan running off the power steering esp on a 4.7. I also don't think there were a lot of changes on the WJ.

My daughter has a 99WJ with 4.7. It has an electric fan bolted to the radiator as well as a traditional mechanical fan with clutch running off the front of the water pump. To my knowledge, the 4.7 has not changed since it was introduced, so I am having trouble understanding this thread. Obviously, the serp belt runs all the accessories, so maybe he is confused.

PS> stuck fan usually means the viscous fluid has hardened.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts