Pirate 4x4 banner

241 - 260 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Nice!

Just a little rubbing at full articulation?

The front just barely rubs, the rear is pretty bad. I need to work on it but I want to change it anyways. I’d like to put some different leaf springs in it and move the mounts on the frame around to make it work better. It’s a typical XJ, all the flex is from the front but the rear is super stable.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Spent most of yesterday and some of today making bump stops for the rear.

Only to find I need about another 1.5 inches. I must have measured incorrectly....

I haven’t decided what I will do to fix it yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your gonna find those bump stops compress pretty far. I’d add at least another 2.5” if that pic was taken with the tire touching the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Your gonna find those bump stops compress pretty far. I’d add at least another 2.5” if that pic was taken with the tire touching the body.

I had about 1.5 inches. I’ve only got it to touch in real twisty stuff. Most of the time it’s just close. I think I’m going 2 inches.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Even easier, just get some 2x2 box and some longer bolts on he body side.

Probably what I was going to do. I’m going out of town for a few weeks but on the way home I go through Ft Worth(closest non-bulk steel supplier) and I’m going to pick up a bunch of stuff. Thanks for the info also.

·
Registered
127 Posts
How wide are you outside of tire to outside of tire?? Looking at doing this same swap and not sure how wide I will end up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
How wide are you outside of tire to outside of tire?? Looking at doing this same swap and not sure how wide I will end up.

I’m on vacation right now but I’ll measure when I get home. With stock super duty wheels it wasn’t much wider then the stock axles with 4 inch back spacing wheels. But with the pro comps it a little wider then my Yukon is, but not by a ton.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #253

You know now that I think about it’s right around 84” wide. Maybe a little more. It’s a little wider then a standard 16’x83” trailer.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
Well I finally redid my rear bump stops. I need another half inch to keep these bumps but I may just spend the money and buy some solids. I think that would fix it. I went out to my buddy’s and screwed around for a few hours. Jeep did well and I’m getting more comfortable with it.

·
Wheeler
2,780 Posts
That wouldn't have been a bad candidate for a 50, plenty strong enough for a 4.0 and no carrier breaks .

But it is hard to put a 50 in where a 60 fits the same .

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I buzzed through but didn’t see it, what sort of up travel do you have? My last XJ I ran the same axles and suspension setup (in the front) with 38 TSL’s and with roughly the same fender trimming was only able to net about 3-4” of uptravel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #259
I buzzed through but didn’t see it, what sort of up travel do you have? My last XJ I ran the same axles and suspension setup (in the front) with 38 TSL’s and with roughly the same fender trimming was only able to net about 3-4” of uptravel.

I’ve got quite a bit of up. At the shock it’s probably 4-5 inches. Maybe around 8 at the center of the tire in a normal situation. It be way less if I was trying to desert race, which I’m not.

241 - 260 of 424 Posts