Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE:
Front wheel bearing.

My 2002 2500HD Crew Cab - 2WD, 6.0 gas engine - 120K miles. Original owner.

I'm getting a low droning type noise. Loudest around 30mph, but getting noisier as time goes on. M&S Michelins getting worn, but seems to be more than just tire noise.

Rolling down the road at, shift into N - noise is the same. Driveshaft seems nice and tight.

First thought is front wheel bearings, jack up the tires and spin. Both sides seem fine, don't feel anything.

Rear wheels (locker diff), full floating axle, but seems fine.

Autozone has Timken OEM hubs for $250 each. At this point, ready to drop $500 in those to see if that is the issue, just checking on PBB to see if anyone has run into something similar.

Other than fluid changes, and a EGR at 80K, still running strong. Plugs and new speakers are on the to do list. :flipoff2:

Tom

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
need a little more info on the sound. Is it like a high or low pitched drone? Hum? squeak?

Dropping 500 bucks just cause you're ready can possibly do nothing more but empty your pocket. When you had it jacked up in the front, did you shake the tire top to bottom and left to right? If not do that first. if you have any play at all then you can get closer to the cluprit. Top to bottom movement is caused by worn wheel bearings and left to right movement is caused by worn tie rods ends, center links, etc. Check that out and see what ya got.

Also, check your transfer case fluid. If you got the pump rub hole and you're loosing fluid, that would cause a drone... a drone that leads to something more expensive than 500 dollars.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just had this happen on my truck. Your tires are cupping. Usually caused by either cheap tires or bad shocks. If its the tires your best bet is to rotate them and hope for the best.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As was said earlier drive it and saw the wheel back and fourth at about 30 mph where its loudest and listen if the pitch of the noise changes. That will indicate wheel bearings 99% of the time. My 02 duramax had a similar noise that ended up being wheel bearings but when checked they were tight. Replaced one side and got lucky, noise was gone. Also may be stupid but check your trans fluid, have heard newer trans cause a drone due to being low on fluid or half plugged filters.

Robbie

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
deflate your tires about 25% and inflate them to 100%, drive and see of it still does it. If not, change your shocks and upper balljoints if you havent already.

If thats not the issue, when was the last time you washed it? I used to get dirt in the E brake and it would make a weird drone, you could really hear it with the window open, and it sounded like it was coming from the front. I actually had to tear the disc off and wash with brake cleen.

·
Registered
270 Posts
did you lift the rear axle when you checked the driveshaft? Sounds like a shitty u joint to me. The shaft will have a little load and feel tight untill you get the tires off the ground..

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the idea's.

I was looking forward to shop time and working on the truck while on vacation.... only to pull my back out! Doc has me on flexeril, and to take it easy until I get into an orthopedic surgeon to have things checked over.

In the past I've done the "twist and lift" resulting in a sore back... but always comes back after a few days of taking it easy. This time, nope.... this sucks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
My 2002 2500HD Crew Cab - 2WD, 6.0 gas engine - 120K miles. Original owner.

I'm getting a low droning type noise. Loudest around 30mph, but getting noisier as time goes on. M&S Michelins getting worn, but seems to be more than just tire noise.

Rolling down the road at, shift into N - noise is the same. Driveshaft seems nice and tight.

First thought is front wheel bearings, jack up the tires and spin. Both sides seem fine, don't feel anything.

Rear wheels (locker diff), full floating axle, but seems fine.

Autozone has Timken OEM hubs for $250 each. At this point, ready to drop $500 in those to see if that is the issue, just checking on PBB to see if anyone has run into something similar.

Other than fluid changes, and a EGR at 80K, still running strong. Plugs and new speakers are on the to do list. :flipoff2:

Tom
When the hubs on my 04 started going south I got a clicking sound, no drone.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd checked front wheel bearings for run out, but within spec. Kept searching, but couldn't find anything wrong or loose with
the truck.

Finally when turning left, less noise! Left front wheel bearing. Timken replacement was $250 + TX from Autozone (had it in stock). Autozone gives a three year warranty on them.

Hub and Bearing Assembly to Steering Knuckle 4- Bolts 133 lb ft
Axle Shaft Nut 155 lb ft (added for your 4x4 folks)
Caliper Mounting Bracket to Knuckle, Front 221 lb ft

Timken Part Number SP580310 (2001-2007 2500HD 3500HD)
(Timken is OEM, don't use cheap bearings!). I smiled when I noticed MADE in USA on them. One part number for both 2WD and 4X4. Seemed odd to see an empty splined hole in them, but Timken had different part numbers in the past, and superseded to one new design.

Doing some online searching, a store called DMAXstore is recommended, and sells the Timken bearings for $189, including shipping!

http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main...ducts_id=254:a0348ef3e75dba2cfb67e50c7891363a

I'll order another bearing for the right side (125K on the 2WD truck, 265/75-16 Wheels). So pretty good service life.

So other than maintenance, an EGR at 80K miles, now front wheel bearings... not bad for a 10 year old Truck.

Tom

Mental note to self: oil drain plug. 15mm. 15 ft/lb torque. Transmission Drain Plub (4L80E) 15mm - 25 ft/lb torque. Ya, I'm getting old and using torque wrenches on drain plugs these days! :flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update. 140K miles, replaced the right side.

Amazon price was $157! My son was nice enough to replace the hub, about a 2 hour job (2WD). Those caliper bolts are 221 ft-lb, and had never been loosened. Impact wrench wouldn't loosen it.... he was like wtf is going on, as that impact loosens everything! Smacked the head with a 2# ball peen a couple of times, impact spun the bolt right on out! GM used a ton of locktite material on those threads, which was a good thing.

Good for another 100,000 miles. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have an 03 2500hd. I did my front hub timken @ 75k? Can't remember how much i paid. I was trying to track down a vibration at freeway speeds. turns out I think it is coming from the rear driveshaft. lots of play where it goes into the tcase. Anyway, I can't believe how tight those caliper bolts are, i had to get a torch on it to loosen up the loctite. EGR? I don't think my truck has egr, what year trucks had egr? Did you get the pump rub taken care of? If not google it.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2WD Crew Cab 6.0 Gas. Hence EGR issue, and no transfer case. :)

Tow rig, once in a great while wish it was 4WD. Got stuck one time, unloaded the Cruiser... pulled the truck/trailer forward 40 feet onto firm ground.... reloaded cruiser and hit the road. :flipoff2:

On the 4WD trucks, friends have replaced those bearings at 50K miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts