Pirate 4x4 banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,213 Posts
For what it's worth I've had good luck with my Mickey Thompson Baja Bosses and had great luck with my ProComps, both in 40" flavor. Both are lighter than the Toyos (and Nitto TG) and probably competitively priced and likely not on backorder. The Toyos are a fine tire, so I understand if you'd rather wait.

Bummer to hear the price went up. These definitely will be less maintenance than your typical outside-beadlock - I know my friends with those wheels are typically tearing them down once a year or so and it's a solid 6 hour job or so. I agree that the 8 lug spoke pattern isn't the prettiest, but it could certainly be worse.

I love the argent silver. For my rig, I'd probably go silver to match my current H2s. For what it's worth, I've only ever lost one bead with the H2s. *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 · (Edited)
thanks for the intel on the Mickey's and ProComps. I've also been eyeballing the KM3s and Nitto's, but I've got time so if the Toyo's don't show up I'll go to plan K, N, M, or P... ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
finally over the hump - mockup is complete :smokin:

After brushing on a healthy coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer and Rustoleum Satin black, the frame is 'done'. The tail section under the bed still needs to be finished but I can't finish it (including welding) until most everything is bolted up, so that part still remains, but the main section is ready to go. Took a while to get all the welding nubbins cleaned off, do all the grinding/sanding, then cleaned with mineral spirits, but well worth it on the long run. I love that 'oil-based paint smell' - takes me back to when I was 7 helping dad paint his Jeep :) .

Now the shop gets a thorough clean up itself, and I can finally start bolting things up for the last time :grinpimp:

primer -

plated the indentation where the upper front suspension used to be -

heavily gusseted the area where the front leaf spring rear hangers are - the frame narrowed down right here - I think it may have been designed as a crumple zone - not no moe -

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
...and Satin black (I love this color for chassis hardware) -

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice work. Buddy of mine ran those same rims on his jeep with 37" he didn't like them and eventually sold them. He said he could never get them to balance well. I drove his jeep about 20 miles on pavement it seemed fine to me. Rode a lot better than my truck with non bead locks and 42"

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
...tanks are in, complete with their new sending units. The original sending units were not going to do the j.o.b. so my friend Wayne milled out a pair of sweet aluminum 'pucks' the same basic dimensions as the OE sending unit tops. Then with a hardware from Tanks.com, some brass fittings and aviation sealant #3 everything is bolted/sealed up for the long haul. A nice bonus was scoring brand new OE sending unit rubber seals from the dealer for less than online. All I need now is 48 gallons of go-go juice!

main tank sending unit -

aux unit -

new OE seals -

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
...next - preparing the tanks and exhaust -

things are gonna get hot under there and I figured I'd better try to mitigate any heat-related issues now. I wrapped the muffler with a full wrap kit, wrapped the twin inlet tubes with header wrap, and put peel-n-stick heat insulation directly on the tanks -

...and now that there's nothing more to work on underneath there...on goes the big up-armored belly cradle -

the bash bars will protect the back halves of the tanks - I just haven't finished them yet...

so...that's where it's at - slow progress...but sure progress

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I noticed from one of your other posts your located near falcon Colorado? I have an 02 Dakota on 33s with 3:55 gearing and I can't even get the tires to break loose on a gravel road. Was curious if you'd be interested in selling your 3:92 gears out of the original Dakota axles and maybe your aftermarket diff cover? I live in Florissant but frequent the springs. Been following along with your build and I'm a little jealous haha. Wish I had the time/experience and money to turn my rig into something like this haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Outstanding fab work, can't wait to see the final product.

I see where you said you switched from the Skyjacker C125S to the C140S front springs, with weight on them what is your distance from the frame to axle centerline? Trying to get an idea of how much lift those (and the D60) are giving over stock.

Also, how is the front axle position fore-aft relative to stock?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 · (Edited)
So I noticed from one of your other posts your located near falcon Colorado? I have an 02 Dakota on 33s with 3:55 gearing and I can't even get the tires to break loose on a gravel road. Was curious if you'd be interested in selling your 3:92 gears out of the original Dakota axles and maybe your aftermarket diff cover? I live in Florissant but frequent the springs. Been following along with your build and I'm a little jealous haha. Wish I had the time/experience and money to turn my rig into something like this haha.
yah we're directly in Falcon. Alas the OE axles are long gone - sorry.

As far as money - I've got about about as much $ in this truck as a good used stock JK costs, so I figure it's right in the realm of reason...with the bonus of also being 10 times stronger.

Reactions: Crash734

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Outstanding fab work, can't wait to see the final product.

I see where you said you switched from the Skyjacker C125S to the C140S front springs, with weight on them what is your distance from the frame to axle centerline? Trying to get an idea of how much lift those (and the D60) are giving over stock.

Also, how is the front axle position fore-aft relative to stock?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
oh man - no way I can give you an accurate measurement on that - at least not until the thing is all back together. But, as far as lift over stock...IIRC the last time I had it all mocked up with weight on it the belly had right around 25 inches between it and the ground.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
...reinforced what seemed to be a couple more potential crumple zones in the frame - at least they look like crumple zones...or used to -

before -

after -

before -

after - and this one happens to be right where the gearbox will bolt up so, bonus (y)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 · (Edited)
alright - starting' to look like something

Engine's in, and front suspension/axle are in -

Front 60 is all buttoned up and ready to rock, complete with Dana/Spicer 5.38s, Grizzly Locker, Reid knuckles, RCV shafts, Speed House GM brake conversion brackets, Yukon spindles, Warn hubs, and a Crane cover with LubeLocker gasket. Also, part of the GM brake conversion included replacing the Ford wheel studs with the GM studs, which pressed right in -

These things are pretty cool to work with -

Welded some armor to the lower kingpin caps hoping to keep from ripping off the zerts -

The GM rotors fit over the Ford hubs from the outside and the wheel holds them in place (OE Ford rotors are held in place on the inside by the wheel studs), and in order for the GM rotors to clear the Ford hubs the outer diameter of the hubs had to be machined down a bit as did the centering race at the WMS. Fortunately Ben was able to chuck up the hubs in his lathe and turn 'em for me, and another nice perk was the fact that the OE GM wheel studs press right into the original Ford holes, so now all the wheel studs are all from the same '02 GM 2500

Speaking of grease, RCV has their own grease, and for the rest I started using Lucas Mining and Construction grease with Moly, which the company says is also good for high-speed/high/heat wheel bearings (disc brake systems), and it's ideal for all metal-to-metal contact points like tie rods and suspension joints, so now all I have to carry is one type of grease

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
...Da, already copypasta'd, tho I won't antipasta this one...

·
Registered
3 Posts
yah we're directly in Falcon. Alas the OE axles are long gone - sorry.

As far as money - I've got about about as much $ in this truck as a good used stock JK costs, so I figure it's right in the realm of reason...with the bonus of also being 10 times stronger.
Alright, thanks man I appreciate it. Ended up finding a pair of loaded axles out of a dakota the same year and size as mine at upull&pay for about $150 with the 3.92 gears so I figured I'll give those a try and see if I'm happy with the results. Enjoy seeing the progress you've made, keep up the good work man. Excited to see it rolling under its own power haha and hopefully I'll get to see it around town. We headed up to Last Dollar Rd this week and surprised how well my dakota did seeing how thats the longest trip I've had it on haha. Maybe we can hit up some trails together when your ready, such as Tin Cup Pass from St.Elmo?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
oh yeah - I know Tin Cup and many other trails surrounding Buena Vista very well, one of which is Chinaman (one of my favorites), which I've done in my Dakota when it was on 33s...tho I did leave some of the undercarriage behind last time out. You should check out our club too - Big Horn 4x4s of Colorado Springs - good peeps.

Glad you got your Dak rolling - keep up the progress and send a link if you have pics etc.

181 - 200 of 229 Posts