Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this the generation of Superduties that turn tight?

The truck I'm looking at is an XLT 250 superduty. Fully loaded with a 7.3 and 6 speed.

What are some problems I should look for in this truck? It still has warranty on it. It comes with a new sprayed bedliner and brake controller. It appears as though the previous owner mostly towed with it, as the rear overload springs are scuffed from the bump stops, but shows no other signs of abusive wear.

How do most folks feel about the auto vs manual on these fords?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read your first unedited post! Truck must've been a lemon, I hope.

At work, I almost strictly drive superduties. I'm partially biased towards them; I know that my 04 turns a lot tighter than say, another guys 00. I'm wondering when the transition year is for tighter turning radius?

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ramv said:
The '05 went to coils/radius arm that should be the tighter turn radius then '04 and prior.
I'm not very keen on the 05's. I don't like the way the look or what they're about right now. The radius arms hang down lower than the front diff does! I 4x4 my work truck at least every day, sometimes all day.

Most of our Ford's hit 100,000 miles before they're wrecked. I figure if a truck can do that, then it should last me until 300,000.

I'm just wondering whether or not there are any particular problems associated with these years that I should keep my eyes peeled for?

Chad.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Interesting that your 04 turns tighter than a 00... AFAIK, there's no difference in any of the steering or suspension components. I know mine has the turning radius of a small barge, but, it's also an ex. cab long bed.

About the only things I can think of that are worth noting on the manual trans trucks are that all 01's and up have a D60 up front, not just a D60 with 50 guts as found on the 99 and 00 SRW trucks.
Also, the 01's have powered metal rods(engine production dates starting mid September 00) VS the older engine's forged rods. It makes absolutley no difference unless you want to break the 400 HP mark.

Now that I've got the bugs out of my 00, and don't start pulling my hair out when I look at it, it's a good truck(I still have some injector issues to work out... Whoever serviced it last before I got it forgot to put the o-ring on the fuel filter... aaaargh...) Considering that it took 140K miles worth of beating as a company truck and probably saw 95% gravel roads, and it hasn't fallen apart, I've got to give it more credit than I had.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have a 2000 F250, 4x4, PSD, 6 speed and I love it! If it got stolen tomorrow, I'd buy the exact samething again. I tow almost everyday with at for work. The truck has 275,000km on it and all it's needed is a cam position sensor, 1 alternator, 4 sets of tires, oh and I warp front brake rotors every 30k-40k or so... cryo treated rotors and/or an exhaust brake would solve that.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
bigtoyfreak said:
I have a 2000 F250, 4x4, PSD, 6 speed and I love it! If it got stolen tomorrow, I'd buy the exact samething again. I tow almost everyday with at for work. The truck has 275,000km on it and all it's needed is a cam position sensor, 1 alternator, 4 sets of tires, oh and I warp front brake rotors every 30k-40k or so... cryo treated rotors and/or an exhaust brake would solve that.

Why not just do the EBPV exhaust brake($20 exhaust brake) then?

·
Premium Member
4,526 Posts
if his 04 was a regular cab and the 00 was a crew cab long bed then yes the turning radius would be different.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Really? I didn't think that 40" of wheelbase would make any difference in turning radius :flipoff2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts