Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need to help a friend w '02 Tacoma 4x4, one leaf on the driver rear is broken. Not sure how it got that way, don't much care.

They'll occasionally "overload" the truck so I'd also like to add a bit of suspension capacity, ideally by just throwing in an additional stock leaf somewhere in the pack. Have done this on almost every truck I've ever owned (albeit Fords) w great results.

I'm having a hard time finding actual Toy leafs so I'm wondering what else will work. I've got some 2.5" stuff lying around, but it appears the Toy is 60mm or roughly 2 3/8". Are there other good candidates for donor leafs? I'm fine with cutting leafs down to length, but the width concerns me, and I'm not dicking w re-drilling center pin holes.

oh and edit: I called some place called Yoda Jim's I stumbled upon on CL in Denver.....they wanted $125 per rear spring pack. Fawk that, who the hell pays $125 per side for used leaf packs??? Jeebus!!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow up: I got some stock Taco springs on CL. Turns out the broken leaf was due to interference between the clamps for the main leaf pack and the overload. For some reason, these overloads were mostly flat instead of curled down like Toy likes to do. At some point the ends of the overload nailed the pack clamp both front and rear, and broke that leaf a few inches in from each clamp.

I replaced the flat overloads w nicely curled ones from the donor pack, and added a leaf per side right under the main leaf to improve ride height and load capacity.

I don't know why Toyota felt the need to make the clamp leaf and overload leaf in lengths that they could fight with one another. Never seen this issue on GM or Ford. Just make the clamp leaf a few inches longer or the overload a few inches shorter :shaking: Then you don't need that gay overload curling down toward the ground either.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts