Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently aquired an '03 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab Hemi & want to know all/any info about the rear axle it has. The glovebox info says 10.5" & 3.73 gears. I believe it's built by AAM. This things arse is bigger than an eastern fed sow!! :D :D It's appears to be a full floater too. Not sure what type traction device is installed. Any inside gouge is appreciated. Thanks for any/all info.

BTW, it's the tow rig for my Jeep.

YJ in tow:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Both the 10.5 and the heavier 11.5" axle on the '03 HD Rams are made by American Axle Manufacturing, who also supplies axles to GM for their trucks.

It is a full floater, and the Limited slip is of a "helical" gear design (no clutch packs to wear out.)

BTW, what tranny do you have in that rig? How does it pull?

CJay

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info CJay! The tranny is a 5spd auto & has a huge cooler that's almost as large as the radiator. At 70mph it glides along at ~1900rpm.

As far as towing goes, I've only towed a handfull of times so far with it, and not on any long distances or up any long inclines or declines. Basically just testing it. My trailer has electrical brakes & the 2500 has the tow package (class 4 hitch etc). I intend to take her out this weekend & see better how she does for tow duties.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

The Hemi does just fine towing my YJ! Set the cruise for ~65mph & leave the auto trans alone & she shifts perfectly all by itself. Uphill & downhill have no driver illeffects. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.