Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 660 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Calling it the warranty build to try to rationalize the work I'm doing to my 03 TJ even though it's not paid for yet. Figure if Jeep would do it right the first time I would already have what I want. So that makes all this warranty work.

Bought it brand new a year and a half ago and started like most do with a small lift. Then it just snowballed. Went 32's first. Then 35's on stock drivetrain. Destroyed my Dana 35 first trip out (no surprise I know :flipoff2: ) So I put in a 9" with custom 3 links front and rear and moved up to 36's.

Couple pics of last year on the 36's

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So the list for this year includes....

Dana 60's front and rear
Disc brake conversions
Flipped Dana300
42's
Another set of beadlocks
Coilovers
4 link rear
3 link with panhard front
Tube fenders front and rear
Relocate gas tank
Full cage
Snorkel

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started with the beadlocks. Got a set of 8 bolt rims from a local shop (Rocky Mtn Offroad). Picked up some 1/4" steel and had some rings cut. Last year I cut my own rings (pics above). This year I wanted more than just circles so I had them cut by a friend with a CNC Plasma. The shape is basically like Wold359's. First time I saw them in person on his new buggy I thought they were perfect.

Inner Ring welded onto rim

Torquing fawking bolts for hours :mad3:

Finished result was well worth the effort. 42" TSL mounted up

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next I started on the rear suspension.

Housing stripped bare

Truss finished.

Another

Wanted to make the uppers adjustable on the axle. In fact I actually made it that way first. But when I slid it under the jeep to find angles it didn't leave enough clearance to the floor for any uptravel. Decided that the low center of gravity was more important than the extra adjustabiliy. Will make lots of options at the frame end instead.

I have lots more pics of everything if anyone wants to see anything specific. Just posting the highlights.

Have the frame mounts and arms built for the rear. Just need to tap the arms for the new 1.25" heims. Waiting on a drill bit for that.

No pics with me tonight though.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Redmist said:
It's an 03 and you have not cut the ass end out or flat fendered it yet? :flipoff2:

To be honest I rather like the fendered look of them. But it just doesn't give me clearance for the 42's. I plan to sqeeze the 42's under without lifting it any further than it was with the 36's.

Plus I want to stretch the wheelbase so the sheetmetal is gonna go. Nothing really extreme. But enough for close to 0 deg aproach and departure angles.

·
Registered
591 Posts
That truss/bridge is big, heavy and fugly. I love it! Diggin' the jackstands as well.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I would weld that truss in more than two locations. Those welds don't have much surface area, and only really help with lateral forces. Perhaps you could integrate it into the diff bolts like the BTF truss.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Love to stroke it but not this year. Maybe a supercharger next though. :smokin:

The tab on the back of the truss in the first pic ties to the dif cover like the blue torch ones. Where it mounts to the tubes is welded inside and out on both sides of the truss, with good penetration. Do you think it still needs more than that? Not being an ass. Opinions like this are of value to me. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brink_ said:
The tab on the back of the truss in the first pic ties to the dif cover like the blue torch ones. Where it mounts to the tubes is welded inside and out on both sides of the truss, with good penetration. Do you think it still needs more than that? Not being an ass. Opinions like this are of value to me. :cool2:

I thought this was how the blue torch ones are done. Just the welds on the tube in 2 spots and the bolts to the cover. Is that right or wrong?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Optical illusion or is there some serious coning going on with those rings?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GiS said:
Optical illusion or is there some serious coning going on with those rings?

You're right Joey. Plenty of coning from torquing the bolts. Probably could have stayed 10lbs less on them. From everything I've read it doesn't effect performance or safety at all. Last years had no problems. Nylock nuts can't back out anyway so it's just cosmetic. And to be honest in person they look good this way.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dan58 said:
What was the lift you ran with the 36s?

Had ....
4" Procomp coils
3/4 spacers
1" body lift (allowed for the flat skid)
and 7" flares that made room for the tires to tuck inside on full stuff.

If you need more info or pics on that version of my Jeep let me know.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nah but Brink, tell us about those stands!!!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sweet ass eh? Dreamed them up one night.

Building my 9" I used Jackstand and the fawking thing would fly off of them while grinding. In fact as I tried to catch it I had an "incident" with the grinder....

Who'd have thought that mechanix wear gloves wouldn't stop a grinder? Weird eh? :shaking:

So this time I wanted to secure the axles to something. Used 2 lengths of tubing, one that slides into another. And some old rims I got from a bodyshop in town for free. Welded the larger tube onto the rim. Then drilled a hole in it big enough to run a bolt through. Welded a nut over the hole so the bolt threaded into it and would tighten against the smaller tube for vertical adjustment. Then welded some 1/4 flat to the top of the smaller tube. And drilled 2 holes spaced for 3.5" muffler clamps to run through. Now I just set the housing up there, throw the muffler clamps around them and tighten the nuts to hold it in place. They hold the pinion angle and height all at once. Makes it great for sliding the housing in and out from under the Jeep and not losing all the setup on it everytime :grinpimp: I marked the floor around the rims where they go under the Jeep so I can pull it out and then slide it back into the same spot everytime without breaking out the tape measure and plumb stick to get it all aligned.

I'll get a couple more pics of them tonight if I remember.

Or do you mean the ones I built for the Jeep to sit way up off the ground on???:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Outstanding. I just ordered a set of 36s to run on 3.5"BS'd beadlocks. Springs will be 5.5RK with a Clayton LA kit. What tranny do you have in the 03? I'm stuck with the auto, 42RLE. If you have any more detailed pics, I'd appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 660 Posts