Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, after struggling up the to big bear with my 91 with a 460, we're looking at new tow rigs.

current truck we're looking at is a 05 350 4x4 with the 6.0 and 5 speed auto. I don't care for the dodges myself although the cummins is good.

have the issues with the 6.0 been worked out yet?

and to find a manual is damn near impossible. I can get the 05 for about 18,000 LESS than the 06, so, I'm not gonna order a new one right now, if I can get this one.

I'd like a 7.3 but, it isn't around anymore, and the wife wants a New truck, not another used one to worry about someone elses problems. gotta love that. :D

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
From what Im hearing Shaun, the 05 6.0 problems have decreased significantly.. If I was looking for a new truck, Id have to take a serious look at fords.
Scott

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
the 3 6.0s in my extended family have been great.. 1 late 03 and 2 late 04s.. they have gobbs of power and i love the torqshift 5 speed auto...the 03 has about 65k on it and has been to the dealer once for some sensor, i dont remeber which one..

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I have about 20K on mine now without any problems, same combo as you are looking at. My other truck is such a different beast that I won't bother making comparisons.

·
Registered
10,684 Posts
surveyboy said:
well, after struggling up the to big bear with my 91 with a 460, we're looking at new tow rigs.

current truck we're looking at is a 05 350 4x4 with the 6.0 and 5 speed auto. I don't care for the dodges myself although the cummins is good.

have the issues with the 6.0 been worked out yet?

and to find a manual is damn near impossible. I can get the 05 for about 18,000 LESS than the 06, so, I'm not gonna order a new one right now, if I can get this one.

I'd like a 7.3 but, it isn't around anymore, and the wife wants a New truck, not another used one to worry about someone elses problems. gotta love that. :D

So what kind of price have you worked out? And where?

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks scott.

I've been looking at the dieselstop site and found some info but I know the PBB seems to be the most difficult to get people say something good :D :D

well, the 06's are going for about $51K for a fully loaded f350 Lariat, inc. leather 4x4 tow package and so on and so forth. the 05's we were looking at were in the $35k with the 'employee pricing and other ford discounts' 4x4 or 4x2 with leather and ect. from a ford dealer in fontana.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you really want a 6 spd 6.0L goto Ford dot com and do a dealer search for Corning Ford. They have 2 Crew Cab 4x4 XLT 6.0L PSD trucks. They're maybe a hour south of Redding.

·
Premium Member
108,048 Posts
surveyboy said:
thanks scott.

I've been looking at the dieselstop site and found some info but I know the PBB seems to be the most difficult to get people say something good :D :D

well, the 06's are going for about $51K for a fully loaded f350 Lariat, inc. leather 4x4 tow package and so on and so forth. the 05's we were looking at were in the $35k with the 'employee pricing and other ford discounts' 4x4 or 4x2 with leather and ect. from a ford dealer in fontana.
Build it. You should be able to get a 06 for about $47k. The King Ranches are $51. $35 is good. I paid $38 for mine in 03.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I drove one last week, and whooo boy those things are nice. The dealer here is suppost to get a bunch of 06s in this week. Hopefully one will be a stick so I can try it.

Adrianspeeder

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bob, I'm having a hard enough time making myself think that getting this truck is worth it at 35k much less 45k or so.

what are the first things I need to get put on it. I'm thinking trans temp gauge and EGT temp gauge. what else, I don't wanna chip it early on just cause I wanna get a good baseline of what it should be like first.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tranny gauge is a must have for the tow rigs. Go with a pyro if you chip it.

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
553 Posts
No, you will run out of fuel long before you get that hot. Different story after chipping though.

Your tranny on the other hand CAN get too hot even with a stock engine, and the gauge that ford has from the factory is nothing more than an idiot light, so a real temp gauge is a must before heavy towing.

Adrianspeeder

·
Premium Member
108,048 Posts
surveyboy said:
bob, I'm having a hard enough time making myself think that getting this truck is worth it at 35k much less 45k or so.

what are the first things I need to get put on it. I'm thinking trans temp gauge and EGT temp gauge. what else, I don't wanna chip it early on just cause I wanna get a good baseline of what it should be like first.
You could stick those on there, but you're not going to max it out. If you properly equip it, they have a tow rating of 33k. You won't need those gauges until you chip it.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Haole said:
You could stick those on there, but you're not going to max it out. If you properly equip it, they have a tow rating of 33k. You won't need those gauges until you chip it.
For a pyro gauge I agree, but for a tranny gauge I think it is too much to risk not to have one for towing.

The most common way i have seen to get them to puke is this... Hauling good down the highway with your big camper or toyhauler. Now you are moving fast enough to get great airflow to the cooler and are in a locked torque converter mode. You get to your spot to park the trailer, and it is a tight one so you start to jocky between first and reverse to get the trailer in right. This is then an unlocked torque converter condition, and no airflow over the cooler. Throw in a little bit of a grade and boom, that tranny will be toast in no time.

A little trick I use to help with these parking situations is if you get 4x4 is to go to low range without lockin the front hubs. Obvious to do with the manual 4x4, but if you get the ESOF just unhook the vac pulse controller so the hubs never get the message to lock, and you have 2low.

Adrianspeeder

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haole said:
tow rating of 33k??? please explain!!! I'll certainly be getting a tranny gauge, and as re:todd pointed out prolly the banks 'transcomand' for it also. won't be on for my first trip or two, but, I'll keep it easy on it.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not haveing the truck yet I have no clue as to where that sensor is yet, but I like that tip and it makes perfect sense as to when the tranny would really start to cook. I'm starting to feel a little better about getting this truck every day.

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
surveyboy said:
not haveing the truck yet I have no clue as to where that sensor is yet, but I like that tip and it makes perfect sense as to when the tranny would really start to cook. I'm starting to feel a little better about getting this truck every day.

You're just getting used to the idea of spending that much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :flipoff2:

Shaun, if it was me I'd do a dealer stock search and see if you can find a manual tranny truck.
I had to get mine from Santa Maria, up near where camo and Air Ride live.

·
waterboy
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I was going to order an '06 I'd do it that. but, for the $$ its HARD to order a new truck when the 05's are still around and 12k less.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts