Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just ended up with a 2000 f250 7.3 lariat 4 Dr short bed. It was too good of a deal to pass up.... 2500 bucks running driving and it has about 80k miles on a rebuilt Motor and tranny and 280k total. So I had just recently posted in the chevy section about building a expedition style suburban. But after a Lil conversation. It all came back to a diesel swap... which I didnt really have time for. So I went on a diesel hunt a dodge actually but stumbled into this. My goal here is a DD dependability with offroad capability along with good. Road manners as I would like to road trip this to the trail. No with it being a 2000 it has a D 50 front... I want to keep a low COG but still run in 40 in tire range. And be able to tackle trails with
Out destroying the front axle... so I went on a hunt found a 05 radius arm super 60. This thing is huge and only cost 350 bucks... now the problem is I'm not 100 percent sure the best way to go about putting it in. From what I have found The radius arm frame brackets are almost bolt on to the 99-04 trucks so I could go that route but removing the cast spring perches looks sketchy and would be a huge pain to keep my leafs. Just wanting some Info from any1 who has done this. Also would my abs still work? Or would I just be better off finding a 02-04 60 and sell in this?

·
Just another dude.
922 Posts
havent done it. but am in a similar situation. i would do the radius arms over the leafs if you really want a 60 in there. the radius arm 60 already has 35 spline outers, turns better, rides better, etc. the leaf sprung 60 has 30 spline outers and is going to ride like stock.

factory radius arm setup will work fine for your goals.

keeping it low with 40's and 4" lift is possible as well.

read this

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/ford...lift-40-dick-cepeks-500-rwhp-thread-vids.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it off Craigslist in houston dude parting out an 05 350.

So I should do a complete swap and go to the radius arm style suspention. What all is involved? Outside of the obvious brackets spring buckets and such. Will the tone rings for the Abs be the same? I couldn't find any Info on the ABS. System.and the difference between the two years. Is there an after market kit with the brackets? Or should I source stock brackets. How durable are they? Will they flex well? Would it be easier to 4 link it? Any1 done anything like this? Measurements should be the same as far as the cast brackets due to the frames being the same?

·
Registered
394 Posts
you can buy brand new coil buckets from ford, 90 bucks left, 30 bucks right side.
great deal on the axle!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Links please I have only found one and it's pretty vauge... has a couple pictures and then a bunch of pages about how he couldn't find the correct power steering hose after the swap. I just want as much Info as possible... If I'm gonna do this. Out side of the coil buckets.... what would I need if I bought a lift kit that converts to 4 link it will come with link bars and the frame side bracket. Would that cover everything I need for the swap?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Measure WMS on the super 60 then on your rear axle. I have an 05 with the super 60. I swapped in a single wheel rear and the front axle is over 6" wider than the rear.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Kevin is yours the super 60 with 1550 u joints?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine does not have a 1550 joint.... perhaps I am mistaken and it is not a super 60..... I think it is only 3 in wider than the current rear in my truck now. I am at work and will not be able to measure till next week or so.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My truck is an 05 F550 with the stock front axle, the super 60. From my research the super 60 only came in 450 and 550 trucks 10 lug wheels. You can swap the unit bearings to f350 but you still have to keep the big brakes so you need to run 20" wheels. with 39.5" tires and 4.5 backspace it turns stop to stop with no rubbing.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Go read the 05 60 thread regarding "super 60" and what it means. Your easy choice is sell your 05 axle for an 04 one and bolt it in. For what you paid there is still room to profit. Next easiest is swap the 05 brackets off the donor truck onto your to go radius arm. If you get the axle for $350 I'd imagine the rest will be cheap.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If you're gonna do this use the radius arms over leaves, it'll ride so much better and as others have said you can use a bunch of stock parts.

4 link is out of the question for a bunch of reasons but I'll go with 2 easy ones: bump steer and packaging (especially since you said you don't want much lift).

·
hi-steer ninja
3,183 Posts
all 05-up axles are super 60's by gvwr according to dana axle. the 4.30 and lower numerically geared axles have the larger c's and axles that people like to refer to as a "super 60". "typically" they are found under f450-f550's.. the axle that is popular and the most usable is the 3.73 geared super 60 found under f250-f350 trucks. we have hi-steer kits in stock for these axles.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are many after market companies selling long arm 4 link conversion lifts. Just converts the radius arm into an upper and lower link. And most replace the factory radius arm mount. And they are not bad price wise. If I went this route or even built my own links and frame mounts all I would need then is coils buckets and track bar mount. Or is this just a horrible idea and im missing something.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That had alot of good info in it. but if I plan on lifting it and wheeling it would I not get a better flex out of a 4 link setup than just the factory radius arm with drop brackets.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I swapped in a 06 axle under my 99 SD. At first I just swapped in all the OE suspension and it all pretty much bolted in. Later I got a full traction long arm 4 link kit and it works pretty good. If I were to do it again I would make my own parrelel 4 link and buy their drop trackbar mount. Would be cheaper and I would make a little longer links to level out the link rake. I got 6" coils on bfg 37s. I think dropping to 4.5" would smooth out the suspension more for me.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you going trail rig build your own 4 link w/panhard with beefy ass lowers. supposedly the abs should work, but mine doesn't. The light turns on after I've been driving a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts