Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of the fuel saver chips out there make a significant difference in mpg? From what I've read it seems the best thing to do is drive smart and maybe invest in an aftermarket exhaust. If anyone has had good experience with chips, which did you use? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
505 Posts
I put an SCT on mine and didnt see much of a difference between the stock tune, a tow tune, or a hot tune (Spartan and Gearhead tuning). I averaged between 13-15mpg. No hills. Grandpa(ish) driving. Can't comment on exhaust as mine came with 4" already on it.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I haven't tried any of the chips, but I seem to get just as good fuel mileage with a street tune as compared to an economy tune. I've run 2 different econo tunes from custom tune writers, and I didn't like the way the truck drove. It if was straight highway, it might have been OK, but the fuel delivery was just too weird and hard to get used to.

I weigh about 8400lbs, and run 315s and I still average 14-15mpg in town, and that's driving it hard. But, I have a lot of mods. What's your budget, and where are you looking to go with the truck and maybe I can make some suggestions. If you are going to run any kind of chip or tuner, you need to upgrade your exhaust. Period.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Get custom tuning. It makes a world of difference mainly for the transmission. Your 5R tranny is all electronically controlled and a generic chip/tuner like superchips and edge will make it not learn a tune before you go and romp around on the throttle with your extra hp. This will end up hurting the tranny by making it shift at the wrong point and eventually burn it up. Talk to someone like Innovative Diesel or Gearhead tuning. These two guys are the best of the best and will walk you through what you need and what they have to offer.

As everyone will say, do some research before jumping the gun. Get on powerstrokenation.com or a Ford specific site and do some research. You'll be surprised at what you find.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Agreed. Custom tunes are the only way to go with a 6.0. Especially with these transmissions. Stuff like Edge and Hypertech don't do anything with the tranny. SCT and customs tunes increase your line pressure, and can adjust your shift firmness, which is critical to its lifespan. I tried Hypertech first, and then again to correct my speedo, and that stuff just didn't work.

I personally use ford-trucks.com for most of my technical questions.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Agreed. Custom tunes are the only way to go with a 6.0. Especially with these transmissions. Stuff like Edge and Hypertech don't do anything with the tranny. SCT and customs tunes increase your line pressure, and can adjust your shift firmness, which is critical to its lifespan. I tried Hypertech first, and then again to correct my speedo, and that stuff just didn't work.

I personally use ford-trucks.com for most of my technical questions.
The edge evolution lets you adjust shift points and firmness/pressures. Manual setup required for the personal tune. You can only polish a terd so much..

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I didn't know Edge started doing that. I went SCT with custom tunes a long time ago and never looked back. Still, I would recommend tunes custom written by folks that have made names for themselves in the business of writing their own tunes. Innovative was mentioned. A lot of people seem to like their shifting the best. My truck seemed liked Spartan's tunes a lot, and I liked how their power delivery better than Innovative, however their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I'm currently running a Gearhead tune written for the Powermax and a studded truck. I've used all 3 and they're all good tuners.

Something I forgot to mention earlier is that FICM tuning by Power Hungry Performance was an amazing mod for my truck. It pretty much wiped out turbo lag on my stocker, and I saw 2mpg with winter blend fuel. It was probably the best $125 I've spent on my truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts