Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got started cutting and assembling parts that ive been collecting for years. I wrecked my ol green truck and bought her back from ins.
05 z71 sierra with an l33
4l60e going to a jeds machine doubler
03 f350 front dana 60
Sterling rear (looking for a 14b)
4link front and rear
14" sway away coilovers for the rear
I plan to keep the extended cab and make a hybrid exo truggy. Tube front clip with bolt on skins to keep the truck look.
I think my first project should be a drive train dolly so i can move this stuff in and out of my garage. Ive already got a 4x8 plasma and a tube bender in there and i could use the floor space.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I worried how i was gonna hook up the np203 to the 4l60e. Turns out the stock adapter i had was a tight fit around the np203 bearing retainer so it was fairly easy to drill and tap the tcase to the 6 bolt pattern. That cast iron was some tough stuff to tap.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im probably being over cautious but i still havnt fully welded the 203/205 adapter in case i really need to correct the front driveline angle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my idea for my truggy layout is 40" tires on a 144" wheel base with a 68 inch track width. im going to measure the full actual drive train length and see where that pushes things in the model.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont want to go over a 40-42 inch tire so im trying to shorten the wheelbase a little. drive line length in the rear is a little short now. i liked it better when both drivelines where equal. if anybody has any suggestions id like to hear them.
im planning on 2x6 rectangular tube for the frame the original frame is twisted i was thinking all round tube at first but this will make it easier to mount the cab.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the CAD models. It's so much more helpful to pre-build something.

I'd keep the driveshafts the same length, for convenience more than anything, but I tend to like a little more wheelbase.

What would the wheelbase be with equal length shafts?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like the CAD models. It's so much more helpful to pre-build something.

I'd keep the driveshafts the same length, for convenience more than anything, but I tend to like a little more wheelbase.

thanks.according to what ive read the tire size determines ideal wheelbase and a 144 inch wheelbase is too big for 40s. i guess i could move the front axle back to match the driveshaft lengths...but im also trying to keep cog closer to the middle of the truck

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
starting the cage design. the truck model i downloaded is a little wonkey and doesnt match my measurements but i double checked and the cage numbers are right. just imagine the truck being taller and wider in the roof area. ill tie the roof rack into the interior pillars via sandwich plates on the roof.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry idk how i missed your question. At 144" wb i had eqal length drive shafts.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,192 Posts
I had a ~148" wheelbase on 40s before I shortened my rig and it was too long for my tastes. Now it is 133" and I love it. It's more nimble in the woods and gets hungup on breakover far less often than it used to. Still very stable on steep climbs, as well.

I'd shoot for sub 140s if I were you.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a ~148" wheelbase on 40s before I shortened my rig and it was too long for my tastes. Now it is 133" and I love it. It's more nimble in the woods and gets hungup on breakover far less often than it used to. Still very stable on steep climbs, as well.

I'd shoot for sub 140s if I were you.
thats good cuz ive shortend it to 131 and if it was much shorter the tires would be in the cab.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,192 Posts
Yep, my 40s are about 6" from the back of the cab. With 42s and 131, I imagine they'd be just about touching.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i need to pinch the lower bar in to clear the boggers but it takes super long to convert the bend tech files to sketchup and its time for dinner.:homer:

Attachments

·
Get Off My Lawn
13,166 Posts
Where do you wheel? I'm just curious what kind of terrain this is aimed at.

Should be a cool truck. Reminds me of a build I helped a buddy with back in high school. We got to about where you're at before the whole build went too far with Rockwells. We wheeled mainly in Ketemcy (K1) before it shut down.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Should be a cool truck. Reminds me of a build I helped a buddy with back in high school. We got to about where you're at before the whole build went too far with Rockwells. We wheeled mainly in Ketemcy (K1) before it shut down.
Been to K2 yeaaaaars ago and we used to go to hidden falls quite abit. Id love to go back to k2 anytime.

·
E-Locker or Bust!
4,192 Posts

Was that Mickey's red truck?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cut my sills and replaced it with some 2x6 3/16 wall rectangular tube i left it 6 inches long front and rear to land my tube fenders on.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyway im gonna replace the 2x6 with 2x4 and build out the rub rail with 1.75 dom tube. I think the 6 inch stick out looks goofy

1 - 20 of 47 Posts