Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Hello Govna
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, gm fan, all the way. bias'd opinions stated below the link. if you don't want to know the outcome ahead of time, don't read past the link.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout1.html

i love how the ford gasser has the v10 to chevy/dodge v8's. goes to show where fords gassers are in the power dept. i didn't know gm's plain ole 6.0 would take down dodges prized hemi.:eek: ought to make hemi fans wonder how bad a$$ gm's lsx motors are.

"We'd park the Chevrolet Silverado 3500 and its Duramax in our driveway tomorrow and not give it a second thought. For our reasons why, just read the results below and our assessments from each test."

need i say more:flipoff2:

if this is a repost, deal with it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
first off, gm fan, all the way. bias'd opinions stated below the link. if you don't want to know the outcome ahead of time, don't read past the link.

i love how the ford gasser has the v10 to chevy/dodge v8's. goes to show where fords gassers are in the power dept. i didn't know gm's plain ole 6.0 would take down dodges prized hemi.:eek: ought to make hemi fans wonder how bad a$$ gm's lsx motors are.

"We'd park the Chevrolet Silverado 3500 and its Duramax in our driveway tomorrow and not give it a second thought. For our reasons why, just read the results below and our assessments from each test."

If dodge or GM offered a v10 or big block in a current truck, then i would want to have include them.. its gas engine to gas engine, not V8 to V8 IMO...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

The Dodge's Hemi blew the 6.0's doors off when it debuted. The 6.0 in the 07+ trucks is much more updated then the current 5.7 Hemi. The 6.1 would make the 6.0 look silly.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Honestly, who cares? I'm not going to read crap like that. If I were to even consider buying a new truck I'd go out and do my own research and test drive all the trucks and make a decision based on that. Not what someone else tells me is good.

Additionally, who is to say that the test isn't biased in some way? Most magazines have companies paying them and/or supplying them parts for evaluations. They know where the money comes from so do you think that they are going to write a bad article about a company's product who pays the magazine's bills?

·
Banned
147 Posts
Honestly, who cares? I'm not going to read crap like that. If I were to even consider buying a new truck I'd go out and do my own research and test drive all the trucks and make a decision based on that. Not what someone else tells me is good.

Additionally, who is to say that the test isn't biased in some way? Most magazines have companies paying them and/or supplying them parts for evaluations. They know where the money comes from so do you think that they are going to write a bad article about a company's product who pays the magazine's bills?
Well then I guess we should tell all magazines to stop production then.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well then I guess we should tell all magazines to stop production then.
I'm not saying that, I was just trying to say that I would only take what is said with a grain of salt. A good salesman will tell you all the advantages of their product vs. the competition and totally ignore all the shortcomings of their own product. YMMV

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Since GM dropped the 8.0 liter V8, no surprise the Ford v10 kicked ass. I drove a severely overloaded 26ft u-haul 600 miles through the mountains with a 8.0 liter alison combo that kicked ass. If it wasn't for 6MPG fuel economy and the GM chassis, I would mind owning one :flipoff2:.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
I'm not saying that, I was just trying to say that I would only take what is said with a grain of salt. A good salesman will tell you all the advantages of their product vs. the competition and totally ignore all the shortcomings of their own product. YMMV
Did you even read it?

I did and it was pretty unbiased except for the F-450 which has no current competitors.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
It is quite difficult for me to accord any weight to the piece when they can not even get the GVWR correct for both the Dodge and Ford 1 ton SRW and the "mistake" certainly is in GM's favour.
I saw some other questionable things too but I thought it was a decent piece overall.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a duramax and it has yet to let me down.

·
Hello Govna
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is quite difficult for me to accord any weight to the piece when they can not even get the GVWR correct for both the Dodge and Ford 1 ton SRW and the "mistake" certainly is in GM's favour.

how do you figure? there is no 1 ton SRW in the shootout. it's 3/4 ton gas and 1 ton DRW diesel.;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
... no surprise the Ford v10 kicked ass. ...
Uh, Norm, did you read the article? The v10 didn't kick ass. :shaking: In fact, it was dead last in all the unloaded tests and only won one category in the loaded tests (0-40 MPH) and that was only due to the 4:30 gears. It got it's ass handed to it on all other categories.

·
Registered
17,121 Posts
yeah, whatever! :shaking:

all i know is that i'll be smiling when you ford and gm guys are whipping out your credit cards to get a rebuilt trans and then an engine replaced while my dodge is just barley broken it. i can give up a little styling and fru-fru interrior crap for that anytime! :grinpimp:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
well if the gas motor test was unfair because one brand had 2 extra cyl's, how could a diesel test be fair since the dodge is short 2 cyls? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Uh, Norm, did you read the article? The v10 didn't kick ass. :shaking: In fact, it was dead last in all the unloaded tests and only won one category in the loaded tests (0-40 MPH) and that was only due to the 4:30 gears. It got it's ass handed to it on all other categories.
Better re-read the article, remember a lower time is better :flipoff2:

It looks like the V10 kicked ass in all the towing uphill tests, but who would buy a truck to do that :shaking:

Actually all the gas engines are all pretty close, with the same gears it would have been damn close. I used to tow 7K trailer all over town with a 150HP F250, so IMO all the newer trucks fully kick ass.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Better re-read the article, remember a lower time is better :flipoff2: ...<deleted stuff>... all the newer trucks fully kick ass.
Perhaps we're not reading the same article? I find on this page: http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout2milan.html that the Ford V-10 ran zero-to-sixty in 9.71 seconds and the Chevy 6.0 did it in 8.60 seconds. That works out to be 1.11 seconds slower than the Chevy. It finished the quarter mile in 17.45 seconds while Chevy again got a lower time of 16.63. The top speed at the end of the quarter mile showed Ford lagging behind Chevy by about 7 MPH.

Moving on to the uphill drag race, we all know that nobody actually runs their trucks like this so it's kind of a moot point. However, the Ford does manage to take full advantage of the lower rear end ratio and higher torque. Once the trucks actually get moving (similar to real-world towing down the highway...) the Chevy again takes the win based on the higher final speed at 450 meters. As far as the 15% grade is concerned; congratulations. You can pull a 10,500 lb boat up the ramp faster than anybody else! That test is great for macho bragging, but has no practical application to how we actually use our trucks.

Closing remark: We can certainly agree on one point. ALL the new trucks kick ass over the old ones.

·
Registered
78 Posts

If that's the case, you would think the Ford would have looked a little better, especially considering the tests were performed on Fords own Proving Grounds in Michigan.

·
Hello Govna
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah, whatever! :shaking:

all i know is that i'll be smiling when you ford and gm guys are whipping out your credit cards to get a rebuilt trans and then an engine replaced while my dodge is just barley broken it. i can give up a little styling and fru-fru interrior crap for that anytime! :grinpimp:

i call shinanigans!!:flipoff2:

where's your point? how much torqure do you think that stock clutch of yours will hold and for how long? nevermind a sick clutch is a fraction of a sick auto.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
IMHO, the "hemi" is a POS motor, and I am a dodge fan. I drove a 2500 hemi before I bought my cummins, and the extra $5k I paid for the diesel option was well worth it.

Scott

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a 07 cummins, I love the motor but I feal that the Chevy has a over all beter finished truck. Mine is new and I have had several problems with seal in the doors and the doors rattling when i go over bumps in the highway.
But out of all the new 07 trucks. the Dodge get's the best gas milage and does tow the best.
I guess if you want a pure tow rig get a Dodge with the Cummins, if you want some comfort and towing get a chevy.
Yes I know I can not spell.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts