Pirate 4x4 banner

07 HD's to have a Solid axel

4K views 53 replies 20 participants last post by  1967K10 
#1 ·
I'm hearing that the 07 HD's will have a strait front axel :cool2: .Has anyone else seen this info. It is from GMInsidenews Forum.

#2 ·
I see none of these rumors except from people who are wishfully thinking. What I found over there was some guy asking "I wonder if they will have solid axles in 07".

I absolutely do not believe Chevy will put a solid axle under the trucks in 07. If they do, I'll be there to buy one, but I still highly doubt it.

#3 ·
sled_dog said:
...........I absolutely do not believe Chevy will put a solid axle under the trucks in 07. If they do, I'll be there to buy one, but I still highly doubt it.

(I'll buy the GMC, as I ABHORE the Chev styling)...........that's what's holding me back from buying a new GM truck (I've talked myself out of a Dodge CTD about 3 times now). Just the 'feel' of driving is different than the other two trucks (Ford, Dodge). I like the way the Ford and Dodge track on the highway better. More 'truckish', less car with a big trunk like.

#5 · (Edited)
1967K10 said:
The guy that posted it up is with GM.He posted that he was unsure :confused: earlier in the year then sometime recently then he specifically stated that they would have a strait axel.By the way it's post 945.

......945 (???:confused: -- got a link?).....checking.....that'd be sweet if they'll do it, but I'll believe it when I see it.

#9 ·
mbryson said:
(Just the 'feel' of driving is different than the other two trucks (Ford, Dodge). I like the way the Ford and Dodge track on the highway better.
You like the way a SFA truck tracks on the highway better? WTF? :confused: I've towed with a lot of SFA trucks and have NEVER had one that was even remotely as comfortable to tow with as my IFS GMC. And by "comfortable", I'm not just talking about the ride - rather, I feel "comfortable" that my truck will actually go in the direction the wheel is pointed and that I will maintain control despite any pavement irregularities I encounter. The only thing that tracks worse than a SFA is Ford's old TTB - talk about scary :eek:

Dude, SFA trucks have their benefits TO BE SURE. The way they "track" on the highway is NOT one of them, though.

TEX

#10 · (Edited)
i call bullshit. i don't think chevy has any plans to bring back the solid front axle. by the way, the dodges handle great on the highway with the coiled 4 link design. the fords don't handle terribly either for a leaf sprung suspension. too bad they both use unit bearings. :shaking:

#11 ·
JJS said:
by the way, the dodges handle great on the highway with the coiled 4 link design.
My dad has one. Vast improvement over old SFA trucks, still nowhere NEAR as good as IFS. And like any coil-sprung SFA truck they are prone to wheelhop if not properly shocked (check out the diesel pulling class at any local fair for a REAL good example of this ;)).

the fords don't handle terribly either for a leaf sprung suspension.
Again, better than before, still not as good as IFS.

TEX

#12 · (Edited)
TEX said:
You like the way a SFA truck tracks on the highway better? WTF? :confused: I've towed with a lot of SFA trucks and have NEVER had one that was even remotely as comfortable to tow with as my IFS GMC. And by "comfortable", I'm not just talking about the ride - rather, I feel "comfortable" that my truck will actually go in the direction the wheel is pointed and that I will maintain control despite any pavement irregularities I encounter. The only thing that tracks worse than a SFA is Ford's old TTB - talk about scary :eek:

Dude, SFA trucks have their benefits TO BE SURE. The way they "track" on the highway is NOT one of them, though.

TEX

Honestly, that's my opinion. Not to turn this into an IFS vs. solid axle thread, but here's my explanation. I don't like the way the suspension cycles and the way the front 'bobs' as it does so. My wife and I were considering replacing our '89 Suburban (obviously, that's kind of an old vehicle but has and will continue to serve us well) and we drove about 10-12 3/4 ton IFS Subs and we both liked the way the 2 or 3 Excursions rode and drove better than the IFS Subs (ranging from older '94ish to late model '02ish). I'd have to admit, the newer generation felt better than the '91-99 versions. (and I did just get back from Oregon where we towed a CJ8 on an IFS ext. cab----I get the same feeling---it wasn't a bad feeling, just not what I'm used to and a little more 'funky' than I like). My family has been a GM family for at least 3 generations, and I want to buy a GM truck (despite the 'styling') just because I 'trust' the brand more than the alternatives, but I think my $$$ will go to F*rd just because of the suspension and the interior.

I respect that you like the suspension feeling of a '76 Caprice wagon while towing, but I'd rather have a more truck-like ride. The Dodge or the Ford give me that. (and frankly, the Dodge is pretty nice riding---kinda similar to our ZJ, which we both like quite a bit--If they only had a full size SUV, it'd be a no brainer)

A lifted solid axle Chev (the kind the suspension doesn't cycle because there is significant arch in the springs) will behave like your describing, but the stock '89 Sub I have is very predictable. If it had a turbo diesel, and a respectable air conditioner I'd just keep it until it started totally falling apart.

We live in Utah, and have some of the worst freeways I've been on. (I'm not a truck driver or anything, so there are probably worse around, but I'm not sure where) Lots of expansion joints and elevation changes within short distances on our rebuilt (for the Olympics) freeways. I'm not sure if that's a factor or not. :shrug:

Oh, and unit bearings........ They just sound like they plain suck on the modern pickups (I haven't had any issues on my coil sprung Jeeps, though) ..... :barf: $$$$ :barf: $$$$ :barf: ......

#13 ·
Originally Posted by C/K Man
Did I read a few posts ago that the HD 4X4's are going to have SFA's??? Has that been decided for sure?

Yes SOLID FRONT AND REAR AXLE On The 2007 GMT 900's. LoL Im Sorry If I Didnt Make Myself More Clear, So That Should Make Alot Of You Happy.

What the hell is a GMT 900????

#15 ·
Our 05 Dodge 2500 CTD SFA rides better and handles better than my 97 1/2 ton Chevy when it had IFS, no contest. Our 96 F-250 with TTB rides and tows like ass though, I agree. And the fuelie 460 under the hood is gutless.

So in conclusion, who the fuck knows if GM is putting a SFA under there trucks in 2007 until they start rolling off the assembly line?

#16 ·
TEX said:

TEX
just my 2 cents but my 05 coil front SFA f350 tracks VERY well dispite any load. the problem with IFS is that when u get a heavy load on the back the front end lifts up and then the tires bow in, SFA doesnt have that problem. I also have an 01 silverado, and it tows HORRIBLE at highway speeds with more then about 500 or 700 lbs of toung weight which is what its rated for. The reason I went with the ford over the chevy is because of the front axle, as compareing the superduty to the HD the superduty does feel alot more man like just because it's so much bigger body wise. My buddys got an 03 HD with 6" and 36s, my truck with just a 2" coil spacer and the same 36s sits taller bed, bumper and hood wise.. Just my 2 cetns of experience

#17 ·
383Stroker said:
...the problem with IFS is that when u get a heavy load on the back the front end lifts up and then the tires bow in, SFA doesnt have that problem....
Interesting point. Having never towed with an IFS truck, I'd have never thought of it before purchasing an IFS truck (as a what if).
mbryson said:
...(and frankly, the Dodge is pretty nice riding---kinda similar to our ZJ, which we both like quite a bit--If they only had a full size SUV, it'd be a no brainer)......
If only Dodge would offer a full-size *suburban* type SUV with the CTD. I might dump my 3-door subs for such a Dodge SUV. But it's gotta be with the CTD. Amongst light trucks, no other Dodge engine is worth going Dodge for, IMO.

I was BSing about Dodge trucks with an older used car salesman who claimed that when Chrysler *needed* the govt bailout in the '80s, F@rd and GM got some concessions including that Dodge would not make certain style trucks. One of which being a *suburban* type vehicle. So I have it on the highest authority that Dodge can't make a burb until the *deal* expires. :flipoff2: :p :laughing:

#18 ·
383Stroker said:
just my 2 cents but my 05 coil front SFA f350 tracks VERY well dispite any load.
One of the few SFA trucks I haven't driven, so no comment.

the problem with IFS is that when u get a heavy load on the back the front end lifts up and then the tires bow in,
No they don't. TTB did that, true IFS does not. GM's IFS does NOT swing in an arc as it cycles. BTW, if you're squatting the rear to the point of unloading the front, you have your load all wrong.

I also have an 01 silverado, and it tows HORRIBLE at highway speeds with more then about 500 or 700 lbs of toung weight which is what its rated for.
Is this a 1/2 ton truck? Are you seriously comparing a 1500 to an F350?

TEX

#19 ·
I hope they do go solid axle in 07, I could never afford one but I'd still like to see it. I've never towed anything, but when my s10 had IFS and I went to get my axles, t-case, wheels etc. for my SAS, I had that little trucks bed loaded down pretty good and it raised the front end. That toed it in pretty good and I had death wobble plus roadwalking all over the interstate. Couldn't hang onto it over 55mph. My tow rig is solid axle and I prefer that, but like I said I have no experience towing with IFS or SFA.

#20 ·
TEX said:
One of the few SFA trucks I haven't driven, so no comment.

No they don't. TTB did that, true IFS does not. GM's IFS does NOT swing in an arc as it cycles. BTW, if you're squatting the rear to the point of unloading the front, you have your load all wrong.

Is this a 1/2 ton truck? Are you seriously comparing a 1500 to an F350?

TEX
My thoughts exactly. IFS, just like any suspensions, will cycle differently depending on how it's setup. From my experience the only reason you would get weird handling or angles out of the IFS when hauling a load is because you have the load wrong with WAY too much tongue load. The post about the S-10 handling like crap on the highway with who knows how much weight in the bed is pretty much a moot point also. It's kind of like saying "I put 33" all-terrain tires on my truck and it got stuck in the mud........so all 33" tires must suck in the mud" without taking into consideration all of the different tread patterns out there.

#22 ·
It better be a Dana 60 :)

#25 ·
who cares if the HD trucks are going to have solid axles... aren't those things ungodly expensive? Thought they were just used to work trucks and the like. Now, 3/4t and 1t Gm trucks getting solid axles, now THAT would be worth talking about! :) unfortunately, gm has its pride and a gazillion dollars sunk into IFS... and there seems to be no coming back. I think its pretty funny how a bunch of white collar guys getting paid millions of dollars a year can't figure out why Ford is always on top and dodge has picked up some market share in recent years...

j

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.