Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 1 1/2 ton GMC trucks and since my dad passed away I don't need both of them anymore. They are both setup for welding/mechanic trucks. What I am wanting to do with one of them is I have a suburban that is the same body style that I would like to mate to the frame and have it for tow rig duties. It would have the front clip and front half of the original cab then the rest would be suburban. My question is what do I register it as at the DMV, the 1 1/2 ton or the suburban? They are very different in tag prices and registration fees. I If it matters any I live in AL.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Different states have different laws but if you're not using it for commercial stuff or obviously heavy duty work, you can probably just keep it registered as a Suburban. Your legal weight-carrying limit won't be any higher than whatever the sticker in the Suburban says, though.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Locally you would need to register as rebuilt, submitting the list of VIN's used to make the final product, and all receipts for work. You would then have the choice of which vehicle to register it as, but if you choose the lighter one, they will enforce the registered weight at the scale. Also, if you look like a MDT, the commercial guys might chase you done for scale skipping here, the registration would get you off but it might be a pain.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more question. Do you hafta go thru the scales when you are using for personal use and have "Not For Hire" on the rig?

The truck I am wanting to convert requires cdl's also and I dont want to get them just to drive my maybe tow rig.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
If it was me and they were my trucks, I would swap the burb body over and use the shit out of it. Would I tell anyone I did it?, no. Just as an aside, how hard would it be to just swap the running gear into the burb and not do the frame? I don't imagine the frame has the right shape for a burb. I am assuming you are talking about a mid-late 90s 3500hd with the 10 lug wheels and beam front axle?
Travis..

EDIT; this is assuming you are using it for 100% personal use and not for business.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just realized what I posted while in the bathroom.

The truck I am thinking of doing the swap on is not a 1 1/2 ton.

The one that I am keeping is a 1 1/2 ton

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just realized what I posted while in the bathroom.

The truck I am thinking of doing the swap on is not a 1 1/2 ton.

The one that I am keeping is a 1 1/2 ton
So what your saying is...this post is crap??:laughing:

Here in NV all you have to have is the vin & title for the rig you want it registered as & show bill of sale for the other part.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what your saying is...this post is crap??:laughing:

Here in NV all you have to have is the vin & title for the rig you want it registered as & show bill of sale for the other part.
It is kinda shitty.

I do have the title for both vehicles.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Pics or GTFO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts