Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my last 3/4" heim on my trianglated 4 link in the rear. I want to go to the 1 1/4" and will have to make another upper control arm. Can I tap directly in 1.5" .250 wall DOM with a 1 1/4 "x12 tap? Does anyone know what the ID requirements are for the weld in threads? Not sure which way im going yet.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
a 1 1/4-12 drill tap will require a 1 11/64 opening.

i dont know the required ID of a tube insert for a 1 1/4 heim, sorry.

·
Registered
311 Posts
U need 1-5/8 .250 wall and it will have to be drilled out a bit before you can tap it. Any machine shop should be able to do it.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Sorry, I don't know anything about 1 1/4 hiems. I would like to know what brand of 3/4 hiems you were breaking. How long did they last?I run QA1 5/8x3/4 and they have held up for me....thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Running the same QA1 5/8 x 3/4 on a 1/4 elliptical. It snapped right at the jam nut. It looks like the lateral load from a lot of flex causing the 3/4 bolt shank to break. I was running 5/8" mis alignment bushings. I'm running a center restraining strap, didn't want to strap the corners, I like the flex. I'm thinking about maybe trying an Aurora HXAMT-10 first, 38 degrees misalignment, 32Klbs static load. At least I could still wheel until I redesign the rear UCA. I've heard some are using Johnny joints, I'm just not sure how they would respond to the high misalignment.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I'm not sure but I think the QA1's are rated for like 40,000 or something like that. I'm sure you thought of this already...but a $30 spare is a lot cheeper than switching to 1 1/4" hiems;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The $30 heims are running about 13 degrees, the High misalignment, 38 degrees jump up to about $80 each. Looking at the lateral stress on the shank im wondering if that is what caused the fracture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts