Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
TotalImmortal said:
will this be sufficient or shoould i double up tabs (1")
if you can, why not?

is that just surface welded?

have fun clank clank clanking down the trail! :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I`d be more worried about it being welded properly to your bumper than making it 1" over 1/2". It looks cold but it's pretty hard to tell painted, looks "gooped" on. 1" or 1/2" wont matter if you can't get good penetratin.

I`d also worry more about the strength of the bumper than the mount now, is it 3/16" or 1/4". If it was 3/16" I`d have a problem pulling from there because I have seen 3/16" pull apart.

I`ve never done a mount like that in fear of having to do some serious pulls and ripping it off... but if I had to do something like that I would go through the bumper weld the back and front. I like to be extra safe. (possibly put a slot in it and slide a piece of something thrugh it in the back and weldt hat up too.. extra safe lol)

·
Registered
889 Posts
i am not a pro at welding but as others had posted just make sure it is supported on the back side of the bumper,
if not it will rip the shit out and at the worst possable time.
try fixing it to the frame.

·
thhhpptthh!
46,721 Posts
the 1/2" should be fine as long as the welds are strong. hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the weld might be undercut a bit. like others have said make sure it goes all the way thru the bumper welded front and back. also cant tell if thats just formed sheet or rectangle tube. if its just sheet, i wouldnt pull on it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I would not pull off of that

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
I would not pull off that without it being doubled up.

Is that bumper only held on with 4 bolts? The back of the wrangler frame is thin at best. I would definetly use all 8 bolts with backing on them for support.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks for all the help guys. after thinking my whole design over, im a little ashamed at my "underengineering". i'll post pics after revision number one. heres what im thinking:
-running a piece of 3/16" plate the length of the rear of the frame
-2 1/2" tabs doubled up running to both sides of the bumper, using a break to bend each at 90* to get some surface area to weld to on the back of it.
-at least one more bolt on the face a little lower and towards the middle of the bumper more
-a tab runing from the bolt on the bottom of the frame to the edge of the bumper
anything else?

·
Registered
842 Posts
[flame suit on]
mount them verticle so you can pull from all angles!
[/flame suit on]

·
11,307 Posts
man, do not be ashamed, the rest of the bumper overall looks like very clean build and fab. I just would not trust the mounts for pullinmg your rig as it is right now, could hurt you or someone else in the case you had to use it, a bad way to find out.

Gui

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
DOes your welder have the capacity and or the person operating it have the skill where YOU would trust it so you wouldn't die.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my welding is sufficient (dare i say better than average:eek: :flipoff2: )

i trust my welding but after reading your responses its my design that worries me

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
Ok, if you CAN'T go through the bumper you could always add some 1/4 gussets to each side top and bottom.. it`ll be be ghetto but spread the welding area over the bumper so its not pulling from one cencentrated area, also help for side loads. Just an idea heh.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no i'm going to. did you read this?
thanks for all the help guys. after thinking my whole design over, im a little ashamed at my "underengineering". i'll post pics after revision number one. heres what im thinking:
-running a piece of 3/16" plate the length of the rear of the frame
-2 1/2" tabs doubled up running to both sides of the bumper, using a break to bend each at 90* to get some surface area to weld to on the back of it.
-at least one more bolt on the face a little lower and towards the middle of the bumper more
-a tab runing from the bolt on the bottom of the frame to the edge of the bumper
anything else?

these are my planned revisions

1 - 20 of 41 Posts