Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well i fried the POS harbor freight grinder so ill take a break and post some questions and info.

i took a set of mid 80's f250 rears and cut them in half(using the longside). cut into the bottom of the frame(frenched) the thickness of the spring pack and welded in a 3.5x3.5x.250wall chunk for them to sit in. they mount just like a normal leaf on a spring perch with holes on both sides for the centerpins. i used square ubolts around the frame to secure them to u bolt plate under the packs.

my links are triangulated lowers of 1.75x.250 DOM, 45" long 35-36" spread at the axle housing on poly bushings, and 7/8" heims under the Tcase flange about 11" apart. the upper is a wishbone about 33" long of the same tubing with poly bushing at the frame and a 1 1/4" heim at the housing. its about as wide as it is long, since it sits just inboard of the frame rails. the verticle seperation at the axle housing mounts are about 10" and the frame mounts are about 7-8" apart, but about 12" apart horizontally when looking from the side,as the lowers are longer.

to be honest, i dont know what the fawk im doing, im just copying ideas from many on here and some pointers i got from a VERY friendly frankie fountain(hes building that 4 seater sniper type rig in the general section).

im assuming everything should work out regarding antisquat and rear steer as the links are sumwhat long, triangulate and have a gentle angle up to there mounts from the axle as my suspension is quite low when compared to many. i compromised on clearance for flatter links as weel, the mounts for the lowers are as low as the Tcase crossmember...

pics would be worth a thousand words right about now, but i dont have the links mounted and need a tube bent for the wishbone mount at the housing, and need to call a friend to see if i can get my heim adapters TIGed into the tubing...

any feedback? questions, comments or snide remarks:D zags, can you describe the system your building....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
Right on! All your measurements and stuff is good tech. good details alot of ppl tend to leave out. When you gonna be done?
How much were your heims, and were you buy em? gotta start my list of shit for the buggly :D

Pics!!!!
 

·
I brought the beer
Joined
·
11,347 Posts
Makes sense now Paul, What is the consensus of pros/cons with your wishbone setup compared to 4-link with the same geometry.

Ditto on the Jigga questions regarding hiems.

d

Edit:

3 more questions:

Length of spring from center pin to axle (along the arc is fine)

Distance from back of Tranny to the center pin of the spring (Using the tranny to make it more adaptable for us poor slobs with only one Tcase)

Height of attachment setup form axle tube to spring eye

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got the heims,etc. from tonyk at rock equipment:

http://www.rockequipment.com/index.html

kool, friendly guy with a garage full of cabinets with all the goodies.

the 7/8" aurora's were $26/each and the insert for the tubing $12/each, the 1 1/4" monster was $49, the adapter is actually a HUGE long nut $3 and the jam nuts for everything were $3/each...

i paid :eek: $5.10/foot for the tubing(15 feet). the shackle bushings are like $2/each...

i saved the other halves of the springs and cut centerpin holes in them incase i need to add them to the packs after i get it tested out. i believe the main was 31" from eye to centerpin...

i choose the 3link with wishbone because it located the axle a bit better(IMO) and dustin emick (who flogs his rig all season)has a great setup i nearly copied...

I NEED A SOURCE FOR MISALIGNMENT BUSHINGS FOR THE 1 1/4" heim???????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,996 Posts
Booger Weldz said:
I choose the 3link with wishbone because it located the axle a bit better(IMO) and dustin emick (who flogs his rig all season)has a great setup i nearly copied...
So let me ge this straight: You INTENTIONALLY copied a 3-link setup off of a truck with a really low roll axis that is excessively prone to roll overs? :confused:











































Just screwin' with ya. :flipoff2:
I know less about the crap than lots of people who like to use the big words whenever a linky-coily thread pops up. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stainless steal dave said:
quote: need to call a friend to get my threaded adapters t.i.g welded to my tubes. anybody i might know? ;)
no, old friend from high school, but id rather come over to your house with some cold ones???????:D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Booger Weldz said:


no, old friend from high school, but id rather come over to your house with some cold ones ???????:D :D :D
yes i will donate some free welding and i'll supply the beer too! e-mailed you my phone number earlier- if you want i will teach you how to t.i.g weld and you can weld them up yourself-or if you'r not comfortable with that i will weld them for you;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
hey paul, sounds cool. do you know what coils dustin uses? greg is debating coils vs 1/4, just cant decide. should be done soon tho. hope moab works out for us and you both---brad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,719 Posts
Booger Weldz said:

to be honest, i dont know what the fawk im doing, im just copying ideas from many on here and some pointers i got from a VERY friendly frankie fountain(hes building that 4 seater sniper type rig in the general section).

im assuming everything should work out regarding antisquat and rear steer as the links are sumwhat long, triangulate and have a gentle angle up to there mounts from the axle as my suspension is quite low when compared to many. i compromised on clearance for flatter links as weel, the mounts for the lowers are as low as the Tcase crossmember...
It doesn't take a whole lot of thought to make a good 4-link. you are on exactly the right track, just copy someone elses only improve upon it and adapt it to your rig.

The only time a lot of though needs to go into a suspension is when it is for competition (eg, baja racing) or to be driven on teh road. Other wise you can get away with some ghetto shit and make out alright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,032 Posts
Re: Re: 1/4 elip rear w/ wishbone 3 link

TRD said:


It doesn't take a whole lot of thought to make a good 4-link. you are on exactly the right track, just copy someone elses only improve upon it and adapt it to your rig.

The only time a lot of though needs to go into a suspension is when it is for competition (eg, baja racing) or to be driven on teh road. Other wise you can get away with some ghetto shit and make out alright.
Thats why we like to go crawlin!!!!! :flipoff2: :D :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,363 Posts
Sounds good Paul to bad you had to go and fawk it all up with using hiems! Uggg. I hope you didn't get the QA1's that tony sells cause those just plain such arse! Get some pics so we can see the angle of the dangles and such. I've started project light weight and hopefully I can get it done in time to wheel JV for th jambo. See you then. Sorry we didn't hook up when Randy and I came up.
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Top