Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that Jack and Dhondagod have used late model ferd rear springs on their 1/4 eliptic. I was just wondering what your impression of the spring rates was?? I have the perfect spot for a 1/4 eliptic spring pack on my 60 but was worried that the weight of a 60 would be too much for the stock ferd spring packs..

I know I could just add some more leaves to the stock spring pack but..

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Finish it?

Chris:flipoff2:

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fawker...

That is whatI am trying to do..
When do you want the cardboard box?

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Whenever you get a chance..... After new years is fine too....

Update your thread with some pics if you get a chance... I want to see more of what you were talking about..

edit: of the frame

Chris:cool2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i did coils in the rear of my 84 yota and used the old leafs for my 1/4 illiptics on my k5 i used the existing rear spring hanger and lengthed my wheelbase and ran a shckle with a heim on the axle....the full spring like proffitts cruiser guys run for example

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, what is the length of the ford packs from the eye to the center pin?

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
I use F350 Super Duty springs and I remove one leaf from the OEM pack. For your heavy assed rig, you might just leave that leaf in the pack. If no one else posts the length I can measure tonight because my memory fails me on that number.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Medusa said:
I use F350 Super Duty springs and I remove one leaf from the OEM pack. For your heavy assed rig, you might just leave that leaf in the pack. If no one else posts the length I can measure tonight because my memory fails me on that number.
Shhhhh.. you'll hurt Bob's feelings!!!

Thanks Jack..

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Once Jack linked/coilovered the front the rig feels really balanced and working better then ever. The rear always felt great and one of the nicest working 1/4 's I've ever watched. The stock fj60 leafs when they were in the front always seemed to soft compared to the rear.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Linking the front is not in the cards right now. I just don't see the need or the benefit. Teh onyl reason I am linking the rear is to reduce the overhang issue. Why Bob a FJ60 if you are just going to drag shackles all over the place.

Looks like F350 springs with nothing removed shoudl work out nicely..

Hopefully they are short enough for easy fittment..

If not, I'll have to start looking around..

·
Discount!
4,539 Posts
The first set I used were 70's era F250, they were too soft, so I went with late 90's F350. The leaves are much thicker.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I have custom packs made by National (IIRC). Not sure of the spring rate but I could double check my paperwork. They work great on my YJ:cool2:

·
Old Rock Doc
1,779 Posts
The F350 springs that I am using (with one leaf removed) are nearly flat at ride height/weight and measure approximately 32.5" from center of eye to center pin.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bummer, I need it only an inch or two shorter than that to be effective.

These are the frenched in spring hangers that I was hoping to use for the 1/4

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts