Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, lets say you run a 1/4 elip setup. how come you need more than 2 more links? couldn't you just run a wishbone link (2 on crossmember to one on the pumpkin) with out probablem? don't the leaves act as a link themselves?

what about running a 2-link along the leaves above/below? Like if you made the springs SUA, then a link mounted 6" above them.

also when you cut leaves in half, does that change the spring rate? i mean, do you have to use a thicker than stock spring to acheive the same rate as the stock ones?

thanks

Paul

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
paulevans76 said:
Ok, lets say you run a 1/4 elip setup. how come you need more than 2 more links? couldn't you just run a wishbone link (2 on crossmember to one on the pumpkin) with out probablem? don't the leaves act as a link themselves?
the axle side of the 1/4 ellip spring mounts with a shackle, so they do not work as spearate links. Additionally, the advantage to a full 4-link is using longer links than the springs would provide.

what about running a 2-link along the leaves above/below? Like if you made the springs SUA, then a link mounted 6" above them

also when you cut leaves in half, does that change the spring rate? i mean, do you have to use a thicker than stock spring to acheive the same rate as the stock ones?
1/2 a spring pack = 1/2 the spring rate...one reason F250/350 packs are common for 1/4 ellipticals on light rigs.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool. thanks for the info

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Don't forget that leaves are flexible. Bendy links just might give you a bit of a hopping issue. ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
hate to high jack this thread but i would like to know how many people actually drive their 1/4 vehicles in the street..........thats kinda the route that im planning on going.......ive heard of people driving them on the freeway but i was just curious

thanks

laurie

·
Registered
132 Posts
yea, i was kinda wondering the same thing, i want to do a 1/4 ellip setup on a daily driver, but im not shure weither or not to do it sence i will be driving it on the street almost every day

·
Registered
709 Posts
Toyota44x4 said:
yea, i was kinda wondering the same thing, i want to do a 1/4 ellip setup on a daily driver, but im not shure weither or not to do it sence i will be driving it on the street almost every day
My friend runs one under his CJ7. bought it from Avalanche Engineering. 4 link setup and he drives it everyday to and from work. says he no problems at all. riding in it feels more stable than my leaf sprung Jeep also.

·
Registered
539 Posts
lauries95jeep said:
hate to high jack this thread but i would like to know how many people actually drive their 1/4 vehicles in the street..........thats kinda the route that im planning on going.......ive heard of people driving them on the freeway but i was just curious

thanks

laurie
I drive mine all the time around town... coil over'd front, 1/4 elliptic rear, 32 bolt beadlocks, 39.5 boggers running 4psi, and full hydro steering.... I cruised at 70 mph this weekend for about 30 mins straight.. no problems..

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
1/4 elipticals are just another spring, so it will handle just as well as a linked up coil setup.

As mentioned you *could* use the leaf as a link but you are asking for wheel hop and limiting flex/wearing out springs faster.

also don't mount the leaf with a pivot at the frame, free fall flex is for ramp champs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts