Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, need some help identifying what year my engine is. This engine was already in the vehicle when I purchased it. It is a 1.6L-8V Tracker engine... serial # G16K131622. First letter could be a C . Anyway to tell what year it is from the serial number?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Well is it fuel injected or carburated?

·
Registered
17,975 Posts
hmmm. let's see if my search+cut+paste worked.....:D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
engine serial #
G 16 R 10000 etc.

the G is engine type

16 is displacement 1.6

R is the model year (R=1994 S= 1995)

on the two wheel drive trannys from 99 and up, only fit the 99 and up motors
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'k based on this (I think "O" was not used in the Alpha sequence, and possibly "Q" ???) I would hazard a guess at your engine being a 1989 or 1990 maybe?

EDIT: just realized you said "tracker" I thought 'Kick.....so I don't really know if there is a difference, or how different the process is for GM labeled critters....?

·
Registered
115 Posts
EDIT: just realized you said "tracker" I thought 'Kick.....so I don't really know if there is a difference, or how different the process is for GM labeled critters....?
Tracker motors are supposed to be marked according suzuki numbering. I asked identification for my tracker 1.6 8v from local suzuki importer and they got all information for it directly from Suzuki Japan.

·
Registered
235 Posts
the 95 4wd all came with 16v 1.6 for the trackers not sure about kicks.

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
marcutah said:
the 95 4wd all came with 16v 1.6 for the trackers not sure about kicks.
No, they didn't.
In 1995 the Tracker still had a mix of 8-valve and 16-valve, depending on the model. In fact, I think even the Sidekick had the 8-valve on the JS model, but the 16 valve on the JX and JLX.

·
Registered
216 Posts
First letter is a G, G16: 1598cc, G13: 1298 or 1324

·
Registered
31,026 Posts
WFO4ME said:
Anyone know if this could be a kick engine?
Sure. It's just as likely to be a Kick engine, as a Tracker engine. The engines are all built in Japan, and they're dropped into either body, at the CAMI facility in Ontario.

There are two variants of the G16 in Track/Kicks - the G16KC and the G16KV - the KC is the 8-valve, and the KV is the 16 valve. These have also been referred to as the G16A and the G16B.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Well to dredge this up from 2 years ago, I need a bit of additional help on this.

Where on the block are you finding the casting numbers?

A friend has a 1.6L 8V engine, fuel injected (throtle body) and we need to ID the year to get parts.

Anyone have some more info on this subject?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
THanks Uzi, but we dont even have a VIN, I was hoping to be able to ID it by the casting numbers.

If not the casting numbers, perhaps the type if injection, or distributer, or something. there has to be a way to ID a block
Thanks again
:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
So If I'm reading mine right "G16L243915" it should be a; 1990 model.

Does or can it tell me anything else? 2dr or 4dr? I got the engine in the backseat of my project sammy and was curious as to its history is all.

jimmy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts