Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pendy asks if I think the ZF transmission (or tranny for those of you who are comfortable with your sexuality), will hold up to the SBC 350.

******DISCLAIMER*******

I am not a mechanic, do not understand fully how automatic transmissions work, do not understand fully the torque and HP that engines generate and how they affect other components like transmissions, etc...

The following is my OPINION and is given with absolutely no guarantees or implications that they may be correct. Odds are they are probably incorrect.

*******END OF DISCLAIMER******

Hmmm...an interesting question. It is one that would make the conversion a bit easier I imagine.

I think that if the transmission were fresh, adequately cooled (more so than the factory offers perhaps), and the user was adequately familiar to the equipment it would probably work.

I have only had one problem with the ZF, and that was after the PO ran it dry and overheated it. The fittings on the tranny cooler leaked and she was too lazy/stupid to get it fixed until it was too late. I ended up swapping out the transmission for a junkyard unit after it refused to shift into any gear. Didn't give much warning prior to failure BTW.

The 350, although more powerful than any Rover engine, can be driven in a manner that is gentle on the components that come after it.

I have *HEARD* that the ZF is a common transmission in many British and German cars with more HP than a LR, so perhaps the idea of putting a 350 in front of it isn't a bad one.

I think though, that honestly, someone with a heavy right foot and the balls to drive the shit out of the engine/transmission is going to have to do it and be the guinea pig.

It's not going to be me.

This is what I am dreaming of next though for the CrewCab...

Duramax/Allison conversion :D

I had my dad's truck this weekend and man it was sweet. It laughed at the canyon, cruised smoothly and QUIETLY down the freeway, and got 22mpg. I wasn't trying to drive 'economically' either.

So, I have a post in the Chevy section looking for a Duramax/Allison transmission and am doing my research in a very similar fashion to what Bird is doing with his conversion actually.

In my case, since we've already done one swap on the truck, have the wiring figured out for the vehicle, and the fact that the CrewCab is easier to dissasemble than a Range Rover, I think it won't be that bad.

I have no delusions of doing it in a week, but when my ship comes in and I have some down time, I'm seriously considering it.

Either that or sell the CrewCab and get a Chevy with a Duramax.

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Tranny:D

I love it.

Well I'd love to say it's in the cards for us with Lil Crispy, but alas I think it will be the SBC/TH400/NP205/D60/14b combo.

We have more time than we know what to do with and Will is the master of stuffing 5 pounds of shit in a 3 pound bag...so we shall see...

We will be keeping the electric/heated seats and wil be using the TBI with custom harness (ours for engine "managment" and possibly Centech for the rest)

Anyone want the old tranny for the sake of science?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have a holden 355 ci (not chev) aussie engine in my RR.

Spec:
Eight cylinders, V-formation, OHV/pushrods, cast-iron, cross-flow heads.
Capacity (Cm3): 5737cm3
Fuel System Type: PFI
Maximum Power: 215kW @ 4800rpm Now about 250KW:
Maximum Torque:
475Nm @ 3600rpm Over 400Nm is available at 1200rpm
Cylinders: V8
Valve Train: OHV
Valves Per Cylinder: 2v
Block Material: Cast-iron
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Fuel Type: 91 RON ULP

THis engine performs brilliantly in the RR heaps of torque available at low revs. Cruises down the hwy very nicly, hills dont exist.

Used the ZF auto:
all is well to date and is surviving with out any issues.
12 months now.

Under normal driving (wife drives car daily) no issues and g/.box handles all very well.

Moderate to hard driving performs faultlesly.

flogging it hard, it seems to slip or is slow to change from 1st to 2nd full throttle changes into 2nd at around 4500rpm.

If I did this again I would uyse the clutch pack from V12 jag as I have been told there is more discs in the jag ZF, dont know trhis as fact.

Would I use the ZF again YES.

Michael.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man I'm a fucking idiot.

When Pendy was asking about the 350 I thought he was talking to me!

Doh!

Sorry MichaelRangie, I totally forgot that you were the one uniquely qualified to comment on the 350/zf combo.

I'll go back to looking in the mirror now (f-in narcissist).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
LMAO Slade - what was that that john told me once on another (more embarrasing to me) tranny thread? "Even served up his own humble pie" :flipoff2:

Purnell also has some good info up, including a scan of the guy that put the LT1 into his RRC. According to that article the jag V12 ZF 4HP22 had 7 clutch packs instead of five to deal with the extra torque.

the 4HP22/24 variants were also used in BMW 5 and 7 series sedans. The 540i and 740i use a six speed ZF 6HP26 something or other, as do the high zoot Jaguar XJR's. I think the XJ8's use a "5" model ZF, ZF5HP*. Newer XJ40 Jags and X300's used the ZF 4HP24E. I have no idea if the 5 and 6 series ZF autos from the sedans have anything in common with our lowlier ZF4HP22/24 series, but I would guess the spud shaft might be easily adapted, given the mfr's relationship with multiple car makes.

http://www.jpurnell.com/RR/default.htm

dig around on there to get to the article - i think there's a link to "engine swap" or something like it.

cheers,

isaac

[edit: had some of my numbers mixed up; fixed now]

·
Registered
25,560 Posts
AV4x4 said:

Anyone want the old tranny for the sake of science?
I can't believe you have to ask:flipoff2: Lemme know when it is available and we can make arrangements. Maybe Pendy will be making another parts run:flipoff2:

FWIW-the only ZF I have seen damaged was due to transfer case fluid (90 wt in this case) leaking into the tranny due to a bad intermediate seal. Mine has 186K miles on it, has been thrashed , still has original filter (cobbler's kid's shoes?) and has had the fluid changed once.

If one follows the same rules for not blowing up CV joints (my CVs also have 186K miles), the ZF should hold up for a while (says the man who has broken Muncie 4-speeds with SBCs, and broken ring gears as well).

Peace,
PT

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DieLucas! said:
If I answer this question, do I get a million dollars?
I'll agree with Pendy - NO.

But, if you bring me back my sawzall today I won't have to charge you that Million Dollar deposit on it.

We want to put up our tree, but need to cut the bottom off of it. :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Come on Mike,

Is there not something you need to share? I've to leave the office in about 20 minutes and was hoping to see....

<grin>

Merv.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts