Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here is the deal, i have a 99 ram 1500 that i love, its lifted and nice sterio auto 360 nice everything, but thats just it its a 1500 can't even tow my play rig or trailer house.

well i work at a 4x shop and ther is this regular that has a 96 or 97 3/4 diesel thats lifted with 38 perrelli jones tires, weld wheels, fender flares, lift, the hole 9. he is looking to sell so he can buy a house. the tranny that he has in it now is a one ton because the other tranny's kept crapping out on him. is that auto tranny worth its one ton name, will i be able to pull the 8,000 lb trailer with two bikes in the back without haveing to stop half way up moutain passes? he as regeared the truck to i believe 456's and even had us install a LS in the rear end.

what is your opions, should i go throught the hassel or just waith the four and a half years i have left on my loan to get the truck i really want?:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
the 46 series is what is in the 94-98 half tons, 3/4 ton and one tons are the 47 series. Very similar transmissions. I believe dodge upgraded in 98 though to a different trans, but am not sure.
I could have upgraded one, but i didnt think it was worth the hastle, expecally with all the electronics (I have a 46re)
Honestly, the reason why you shouldnt haul an 8000 lb trailer, is because your breaks arent rated for it, your engine doesent put out enough power, and the axles cant handle the weight.
they are rated at around 7800 lbs.. of which i wouldnt trust with my truck, but you could try.. honestly, i rate it t more of 5000 lbs trailer.
Also remember the 9.25" is rated at 3900 lbs.. so watch out on overloading it.

Garrett

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Oh, and BTW, your four and a half year loan is why i like to buy cars with cash (or a hefty down payment), and be able to do what i want.. and sell them.. but then, thats me.. and i dont mind the extra maintance.

Garrett

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Both have the 47RE, most 1 tons have 4.10s but the 3/4 tons may have 3.55s, so you're towing capacity may be greater with the 3500.

Really, I don't think a '96-97 on 38"s with an auto will be trsutworthy. These are sensitive to heat and unless you are watching the temp gauge, they do smoke occaisinally.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so the 0ne ton and 3/4 ton trannys are the same?

he has installed new 456s, that won't offset the bigger tire? i wouldn't be towing with it every weekend, once a month would be more my usage for the truck,otherwise it would be a daily driver.

thanks for the input so far, i just need to think of a solution. i have that ford that needs to see some off raod use but i have now way of getting it there because it is not street legal. i have a trailer that i can use that weighs in at 1800 lbs but i don't think that i would trust my tranny witht that much weight.

but is the auto tranny in general a horable, bad , decent or just plan regular as far as towing is concerend. i drive alot of around town stuff and even if i do not buy this truck i would like to know if it would be bad idea to buy an auto for occasonal towing usage?

thanks again!!!:p :p

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I don't know. Everyone i know who tows with a 47RE and a Cummins kills trannys regularly. They tend to just be the T/C but I habe the 46RE and a temp gauge and 45000 miles so far so good, of course, I have only towed 7000 lbs a couple of times.

I just wouldn't trust used, I would look for a manual ona used pickup, new, add more cooling and a guage and its probably fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks hicks and ramv for the input, i might try to get into this pickup if i can, you atta go check it out at http://www.percision4wheeldrive.com they have a pic of it under thier gallery. its white.

thanks again!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya this truck is way bad ass!!! i really wnat to buy it, he gonna give me a smokin deal less than i payed for my 99 1/2 ton stock!!!!!!

but as far as the truck riding bad the perelli jones ride way better than boggers!!!! way better they ride as smooth as all terains!!!

yep gonna work on getin into it, my monthly payments as far as insurance,gas and truck payment will go down!!!! way awsome.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Autos

Well the 47RFE should be the trans that you have. I have one in my 98 and it doesn't give me any trouble. It has 90K on it. The fact that it has 4.56 gears is a good thing. If you want more cooling for it, there is a 4 quart pan you can get. But what do I know, I only work for a dealer! The new trans behind the HO Cummins is a 48RFE.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've got the 47RE in my 99 3/4 diesel and had it rebuilt in Dec of 01 after 92K miles of towing (over a three year period). The new rebuild would have worked great except that a PCM glitch and a few other things that got missed had the tranny frequently starting (from a standstill) in second gear instead of first. This lead the tranny to an early death in only 11K more miles.

Now after two tranny rebuilds, one major/one minor, plus two new PCMs, one body hardware module, one oil pressure sensor, internal and external tranny wiring harnesses, transfer pump, and a throttle valve pressure cable, it is running well again.

For the small fortune in parts/labor, at least it's back to normal. A tranny temp gauge is a very good idea in my opinion.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Oh, that Dodge in the picture is a SWEET looking rig! I'd drive it! Take the lift down to 2" and put 33s on it and that's what mine looks like; white, quadcab, longbed, 4x.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts