Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a question regarding one ton axles . I have an 81 blazer and its a half ton even though I have a 12 bolt rear with 6 lug nuts. I can't tell if its a ten bolt or 44 front. But my question is there a paticular year of axles I need to get so that they pretty much just bolt on. I know that i want the rear to be full float, but also is there a peticular year that has a higher gear ratio. Thanks for the help. :smokin:

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
If the axle in the front is original, then it's a ten bolt. GM started to switch to ten bolts about 77. I've seen that year with both axles. A Dana 60 will bolt in, don't even have to change the u joint. Not sure on the brake lines. The 3/4 ton 14ff will bolt in as well, but you will have to get a conversion joint, or get a different shaft with the bigger joints on them already. You could use a 1 ton 14b, but will have to put spring pads on it, the width is different between the 1/2-3/4 and 1 ton. For a 60 front, look for a 1 ton only 77 thru 91 pickups only. 88 thru 91 were crew cabs and cab and chassis only.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You will have to change the brake lines on the 60.
they use a 7/16" banjo and the 44 uses a 3/8" went thru it on my swap.
other then that, it was a straight swap.
Oh, you will have to have your front drive shaft shortened about an inch or so. the 60 has a longer housing on it, if you don't, and you hit a bump hard enough you will jam it into the transfer case.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The only way (I believe) to get higher gears than 4.10 in 1-tons is to get them from a CUCV. They came with 4.56's and a detroit in the rear. The front will bolt right in except for the d-shaft being too long. You can also cure that problem by moving the front axle ~ 1.5" forward though. In the rear if it's a 3/4 ton, it'll bolt right up besides the u-joint. If it's a 1-ton, you'll need to move the spring perches and redo the shock mounts. Overall it's a pretty easy swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts