Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1 Ton ball joint fix(got pics)

hey there I am in the middle of replacing the ball joints in my truck. I have a set of 1Ton axles out of a 99' F350 superduty I believe, and this is my first time having to do ball joints. I feel stupid asking this cause Im pretty sure I know whats goin on, but better be safe then sorry and disasemble more then I really have to. I was looking at my knuckle and seen that there isnt enough room for the upper ball joint to drop out, so I have to pull the axleshaft. My question is can I unbolt the whole hub assembely off the knuckle(4bolts)and slide it off the short shaft or do I have to disasemble the hub itself first?
(sorry if you dont like the dodge I had to show you my truck/project)

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Take out the 4 nuts, everything should slide right out.

WTF is going on with the front hanger/x-member thingy?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
x2 remove the unit bearing. or, you can try to disassemble it, but if you do... take pictures. :flipoff2::laughing: i think its 4 bolts.

pull the unit bearing, the shaft, then it gets easier. make sure you torque it all back to spec (including the unit bearing) when your done...

edit: do you have a press? or a ball joint installer/remover? it becomes a bitch really fast if not...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet thanks for the info thats what I was hoping to hear. Does anyone have any pictures of this unitbearding and is there anything I should know before unbolting the 4 nuts. I have a bubby with a press so Ill just take it over there,

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
x2 remove the unit bearing. or, you can try to disassemble it, but if you do... take pictures. :flipoff2::laughing: i think its 4 bolts.

pull the unit bearing, the shaft, then it gets easier. make sure you torque it all back to spec (including the unit bearing) when your done...

edit: do you have a press? or a ball joint installer/remover? it becomes a bitch really fast if not...
BFH and a couple good whcks on the side should pop em right out. Don't be such a pussy.:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
I'm going to have to laugh at you.
A) Because you drive a dodge
B) Because it has way too much lift
C) Because you're running thornturds
Ayup :laughing:

But at least it has Ford axles :D

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to have to laugh at you.
A) Because you drive a dodge
B) Because it has way too much lift
C) Because you're running thornturds
:laughing: ya ya I knew someone would have to say that, but thanks for not ignoring me cause of that like some other people would on this site and others
and thanks for all the info guys the knuckle is off and the new ball joints are getting pressed in right now and I also got a seal kit, and will probably get bearings too. The truck is badass to drive though, and it wheels bitchin too,
It has a body lift on it which I have always hated body lifts so that will come out soon and the thronbird kickass if you do alot of highway driving they handle great(for 38.5) and are still pretty loud which I like, I had 38 boggers on it for awhile and some 42 SX's but those where alittle to big for the drivetrain mostly the auto tranns that is being replaced with a 5 spd manual

Thanks
brody porter

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
:laughing: ya ya I knew someone would have to say that, but thanks for not ignoring me cause of that like some other people would on this site and others
and thanks for all the info guys the knuckle is off and the new ball joints are getting pressed in right now and I also got a seal kit, and will probably get bearings too. The truck is badass to drive though, and it wheels bitchin too,
It has a body lift on it which I have always hated body lifts so that will come out soon and the thronbird kickass if you do alot of highway driving they handle great(for 38.5) and are still pretty loud which I like, I had 38 boggers on it for awhile and some 42 SX's but those where alittle to big for the drivetrain mostly the auto tranns that is being replaced with a 5 spd manual

Thanks
brody porter
You didn't come in with an attitude...that helps a lot.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
You didn't come in with an attitude...that helps a lot.
No shit! I don't mind stupid questions so much as I mind the stupid questions from newbs with an attitude.

Anyways, good luck with that :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts