Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started on another forum so some things might not make the most of sense.

1991 Chevy K1500, 350 tbi, nv3500 (pink saturn), np241c
Hp60, 4:10's, open
14B, 4:10's, discs, shaved
40" Hawgs on 16.5 steel wheels
Mile Marker 12,000# hydraulic winch

Plans are to SAS with 52" springs, inboard rear springs and shorten wheelbase, and possibly shorten and dovetail bed. I still have to pick up my leafs from Spooner, but have the rest of the parts listed. I still have to make leaf hangers for the rears and brackets for the SAS. I will start when I get out of school, around May 8th.
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got some work done this weekend, pulled out the IFS minus torsion bars, got some 47" leafs, picked up a SKY SAS kit, bought another 60 with a LSD in the front and that is about it for now.

Showin off my TTB

Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, pics first

Got the front axle under the truck. Bolted the front cross member on (I can still move it back and forth for optimum shackle angle). Still need to weld brackets on. Leafs are 47" long, also got some tires and wheels. 39.5 Iroks, 16.5 wheels (undercoated them for now)
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the rear axle out, removed a broken leaf so I decided that I am gonna run 3 leafs. Still have to figure out shackle reversal. And a better picture of it kind of sitting level. I am really happy with the stance of it.
Scott
My brother grindin away

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Modified the stock shackle hanger for a shackle flip. Cut off the bottom, braced and welded back together. And my ghetto front spring plate for the 60. Also notched the webbing for the U bolt to sit in. Doing more work on it tomorrow, will update further then.
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Notched the 60, slid the rear axle under, to find that my leafs hit the calipers. So gonna have to rotate the brackets down a bit. Also the u bolts I got were too long. Bolted my bracket up temporarily with stock shackle and that is about it. Ran to the parts store and picked up some new U bolts and D60 calipers ($25 each!). Broke a 5/8 u bolt becasue I am really strong, and a close up of a good part of my welds. I was hoping to get the tire on to see if it was going to sit high enough with only 3 leafs. Going on a motorcycle ride.
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fabbed up the other bracket, spent 1/2 hour looking for shackle bushings at the parts store. Took 4 tries to get the rear how I wanted it. Put the leafs I took out back in, and that is about it. Ordered my high steer arm from Koz. First pics arm from my second attempt.
Scott

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
I'd get some of that welding redone.

But overall, A for effort. And you're actually doing something, which earns like a million points these days. :beer:

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Ummm...its a good start, although I got to agree with Tacoma.
The welds don't look at all good. The shackle flip brackets, for lack of kinder, gentler words, looks horrible and downright scary.

The first problem I see is that the metal surfaces were not cleaned of rust prior to any welding. Which can create a lack of clean weld, and penetration issues.

Second, I know saving money and budgeting is all part of wheeling, well, it is for me, and probably a lot of others, but the shackle flip you made looks weak. And scary.....
A better idea probably would have been to find some front spring hangers off of another chevy truck and used those. They serve well in providing a means for a shackle flip.

I like to help where I can, here is a link to a some shackle flip brackets I made, and it cost me all of about $30, including welding wire, to make these.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=678064&highlight=homemade+shackle+flip

Don't take this critsizm wrong, I like what your doing, its a start to a great project, just keep safety in mind, and remember your not the only one on the road, or trail. :beer:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have to agree with what everyone else is saying, the welds definatly need to be redone, and I would go another route with the shackle flip. What your doing is great, your doing it all, or mostly, on your own, and that is great....to many people try to throw money at a truck to have someone else do something and call it there own. Keep up the good work, and keep us updated!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ah, rusty trucks. There is no joy in life like working on one. I think you should consider spending some serious time with a grinder and wire wheel going over that frame. It looks like rust has really eaten into it in some places and without some work it's going to go Tango Uniform on you about 100 yards into the first trail. I not bagging on your rig and I admire anyone taking on an IFS swap. Hopefully the frame is not so far gone that you can't plate it up in some places but it's looking pretty tissue paper-thin.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
I would have to agree on the lack of cleanup before welding those hangers....not only the possibility of poor penetration but even if you've got good penetration (oohh, sounds so dirty) you'll have contaminated welds....which = weak welds.

I would also like to see more "beef", gusseting, (weld on)......anything really on the front spring crossmember. It looks to just be bolted on with a couple bolts....and nothing more from what I can see in the pics. So far looks good......except for the effects of MI winters.....looks much the same as here in new england.....sucks doesn't it?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I won't comment on the welds, even though I will completely agree with what has been said. I will hoever, offer up one suggestion. Perhaps it's just me because I'm anal about my work, and the presentation of my projects when finished, but "fit and finish" are huge to me. Take some pride in your work. If it takes you a bit longer to fabricate things, sometimes that's ok. I won't tell you that you should cut all the old IFS brackets, tabs, and crossmembers off the frame if you don't want to, but I am on my truck (of course, I'm doing a 3-link and need that real estate for coil buckets and shock mounts).

Good start, just slow down and take care to properly prep surfaces to be welded.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Thats gona be a bad ass rig, any plans for a bumper?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am not really too sure on how the brackets will hold up, but will find out. Surface was wire wheeled before welding where the weld is. Front hangers and SKY kit will be fully welded on, getting the truck up to the shop so the fabricator can fix the part of the frame and weld everything up. And some more updates
Did brakes yesterday, ran new lines and ended up getting a new caliper for the rear because it wouldn't stop leaking. Fixed all of the leaks for now. Also got a conversion joint and installed the rear driveshaft. Hopefully will get everything welded up tomorrow. Highsteer arm came in from KOZ, still have to order inserts, TRE's, and jam nuts. Then mounting the winch will be next.
Scott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will have access to a torch so the rest of the IFS brackets will be coming off, and planning on building a winch tray first and then building a bumper around that. I have stock ford shock towers I plan on using for the front maybe.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Better than sittin around the house right? Love the booty fab o the shackle reversal. Break it and build it stronger, just would really suck to be out in the middle of the trail and have it break...or even worse on the freeway! Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Truck will be a trailer queen, thought I wrote that somewhere. Definately not on the road or things would be a little more correct.
Scott

1 - 20 of 65 Posts