Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a psc single ended system on my 1 ton yj with 40" PBR's. It's kinda annoying on the street because you always have to turn the wheel further one way than the other. I was debating going to hydro assist but am worried weather it will be strong enough on the trails For those of you that are as dumb as I and run 40's around on the street what's your steering set-up?

·
Ford Bigot
4,100 Posts
It all depends on your ram bore. I've found anything over 1.5" bore to be pretty slow on hydro-assist. The box has trouble flowing that much fluid to the ram and the piston inside the steering box. That means you have to compromise on how much off-road steering force and how quick of steering you want on-road.

Have you considered a double-ended ram?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm just trying to figure out the best option for the money, i've already bought the SE kit, and i just bought a new tierod kit for it and and some other stuff. I guess i might have to bite the bullet and get the double ended stuff. Anyone else? suggestions?

·
Registered
462 Posts
i currently have a psc single ended system on my 1 ton yj with 40" PBR's. It's kinda annoying on the street because you always have to turn the wheel further one way than the other. I was debating going to hydro assist but am worried weather it will be strong enough on the trails For those of you that are as dumb as I and run 40's around on the street what's your steering set-up?
You have to turn the wheel one way further then the other? Sounds like somethings messed up to me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a buddy with an H1 on 42 Irocks with hydro assist. He also upgraded to a 1500 psi power steering pump. and even with hydroboost brakes, has no problem on the rocks aired down to 5 psi. it moves the H1 or the rock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm running 1550x 38's without assist/full hydro at all... works fine. Granted my power steering pump hates me and it's miserable turning against a rock or bank- but tough to beat for the road.

Assist should do. How are you getting away with full hydro on the street anyway? Thought you guys back east had registration vehicle inspections rather than smog checks...

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has to move more fluid to push cylinder out from neutral.

The ram inside the cylinder takes up "extra" volume going in

Single ended rams aren't ever balanced is my understanding
there is more area on the side without the rod so it takes more fluid to fill that side(more turns) than the side with the rod

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK, I am running a tractor supply ram. On my ram assist. Steers pretty well on the street and has no problem off road turning 39.5's.

I did drill an additional hole on the hi-steer arm between the original holes that my drag link attaches to. The hole closest to the knuckle steered too fast. The front hole steered too slow. My drag link and tie-rod are close to parallel. This eliminates any bumpsteer. I am running 39.5" Pitbull Maddogs mounted on Allied Raceline Beadlocks with no weights on or inside the tires. I have very little tire dribble on the street. I air down to 4-5 Psi offroad. This is the 4th rig that I have run the Tractor supply ram on. Inexpensive, readily available, very durable.

·
Registered
462 Posts
there is more area on the side without the rod so it takes more fluid to fill that side(more turns) than the side with the rod
I made a spacer to slip on the shaft of the ram and tacked it to the jam nut to limit the 8"'s to around 7" or so, can't remember exactly. Ram stops just a hair before it starts putting pressure on the knuckle. Equal left and right turn and drives great on the road/rocks other then being slow. But that's cause i have 1.75" ram and stock pump. 42" PBR's and i drive 150-200 km one way to go wheeling almost every weekend of the season.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made a spacer to slip on the shaft of the ram and tacked it to the jam nut to limit the 8"'s to around 7" or so, can't remember exactly. Ram stops just a hair before it starts putting pressure on the knuckle. Equal left and right turn and drives great on the road/rocks other then being slow. But that's cause i have 1.75" ram and stock pump. 42" PBR's and i drive 150-200 km one way to go wheeling almost every weekend of the season.
do you have pics of this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts