Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working the steering on my YJ with front 60. I'm using Artec steering arms and a steering kit from East Coast Gear Supply. I've installed my TREs and torqued the castle nuts to 45ftlbs, but on both ends of the tie rod and the axle end of the drag link, the hole for the cotter pin is below the castle nut. Therefore, the cotter pin does not contact the nut and aid in retention.

First I have to ask if I'm the dumbass doing something wrong. If it's not me, then what are my solutions here? Yes, the arms are in fact taper drilled for the ends. I've already contacted both Artec and ECGS. Artec was not helpful in the least and EC at least tried to help me troubleshoot.

Link for the photo: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Jep0RLtfzbUzR3MWUxVTRzbGc/view?usp-drivesdk

·
Vendor
1,408 Posts
It's pretty likely that you have tapers mixed up there. The washers are fine as long as you don't max out the angle on the tie rod ends, sitting them extra deep in the taper like that limits the angle.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Hard to tell with the boots on. I would find a worn tie rod end with no boot and see how far they are buried into the arm. Looks like they are pretty well stuffed like the taper reamer went too deep. Contact artec with that info and i am sure they will be more helpful

If the tie rods are acceptable in clearance for you, find a hardened thick washer and run it between the arm and the nut.

The tapers look to deep to me for your tie rods.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
May be the correct taper but perhaps you went to far? measure the top and bottom of the hole. worst case maybe you can drill it out and get the weld in inserts.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Your castle nuts are the wrong height for the ball joints or arm thickness.

Look for taller castle nuts or correct thickness washer.

·
E. Spengler
3,831 Posts
If you haven't figured it out in 2.5 years, go buy a SxS. :flipoff2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts