Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I currently wheel and DD a full size rig. I'm tired of pussy footin around to try and keep the front HP D60 diff alive and want to upgrade. I still drive this truck every day though so it's not as easy as throwin a set of mogs or rocks under it. Where do I go from here when 1-tons aint cutting it? I need lockouts and 4.10-4.88 gears (doubler handles most of the gearing) for the pavement pounding. I'm thinking of something along the lines of D80/Rock hybrid but i'd like to get some of your opinions on what are my options. Here's something different for the web wheelers to bicker over :flipoff2:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Holy crap... I thought you were the other FoolInjected for a second and was wondering what the hell you were doing... Doesn't dynatrac sell a D80 now? That could be an option. A guy in our club was also selling a D70 front end a while back.... I dunno much about those so I'm not much help there.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Forgive me, and I am sure I will get flamed, but how the hell do bigger gears keep the shafts from breaking?

And I dont care what anyone says....

More splines dont keep the joint areas from shattering either.

A 40sp D60 front inner shaft that runs the same joints as a 35sp inner still has the same freaknin joint, and inherant weakeness!

·
Gravity Works!
30,943 Posts
I currently wheel and DD a full size rig. I'm tired of pussy footin around to try and keep the front HP D60 diff alive and want to upgrade. I still drive this truck every day though so it's not as easy as throwin a set of mogs or rocks under it. Where do I go from here when 1-tons aint cutting it? I need lockouts and 4.10-4.88 gears (doubler handles most of the gearing) for the pavement pounding. I'm thinking of something along the lines of D80/Rock hybrid but i'd like to get some of your opinions on what are my options. Here's something different for the web wheelers to bicker over :flipoff2:
What are you breaking the most? R&P's, Axles? Tell us what your breaking and what brand of components your using or spell out how it's built and who built it.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
id get a dana 70HP from the new GM topkicks - they come with gearing down to 5.13 - cut off the big balljoint knuckles - put on some aftermarkets kingpin style and bobby longs CVs -

if i had money - id do it :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
X2 on the longfield 60 shafts, my buddie runs them and he broke a front driveshaft and rear d70 35 spline shaft and the front kept kicking

·
Registered
405 Posts
i know alot of guys that daily drive there rockwells rigs. what size tire are you running?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
id get a dana 70HP from the new GM topkicks - they come with gearing down to 5.13 - cut off the big balljoint knuckles - put on some aftermarkets kingpin style and bobby longs CVs -

if i had money - id do it :D
i like this idea but i would keep the ball joints. they are massive and i dought you will find a way of breaking them in a one ton, jason.

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
So what parts keep failing?
If its the ring and pinion, i would biuld a spidertrax 609 with a truehigh 9".
If its ur shafts get the long field CV's

Or if you have the money to buy a dana 80 front i would do that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I currently wheel and DD a full size rig. I'm tired of pussy footin around to try and keep the front HP D60 diff alive and want to upgrade. I still drive this truck every day though so it's not as easy as throwin a set of mogs or rocks under it. :flipoff2:
Whats wrong with DD it with rockwells? The M35 is a street driven 6x6. Rockwells aren't bad on the road, if you went pinion brake, it may just take a bit to get used to the braking, otherwise get the wheel brakes.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
Whats wrong with DD it with rockwells? The M35 is a street driven 6x6. Rockwells aren't bad on the road, if you went pinion brake, it may just take a bit to get used to the braking, otherwise get the wheel brakes.
He wants 4:10-4.88 gearing, have any rocks that will do that?:shaking:

1 - 20 of 91 Posts