Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and saw all the old posts but I want to see if there is any updates on this.

I want to get setup with something bolt on so I can get going this weekend. Right now I am running a 72 FJ40 MC, 60 front, 14 bolt with disc conversion (74 3/4ton chevy calipers) in the rear. All lines are 3/16". I dont think the MC that I have now is going to do the job.

So is the best bolt on setup as far as the MC? Supras? What about a later fj40? I just want to get it up and going now and I will deal with hydro boost or whatever is needed later.

TIA

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
I have the same set up as you, all most. D60 front,14 bolt with the same calipers as you but I kept the FJ60 master. I was going to go to a 1 ton chev truck master and boster but I have talked with a few guys that have done basicaly the same thing and say the FJ60 booster and master works fine. Wish I could tell you first hand but I have not driven mine yet. The FJ60 master and booster would be a easy swap just sorta expencive unless you could buy it form someone on here.

·
Registered
916 Posts
fzj80 your best bet I think that is what I read the 80 that is already set up for disc brakes and the MC is set up for disc brakes

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I think I would go with a later FJ40 MC before I would go that route though. Will the 60's MC push alot more fluid then a 40's?

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
smtyblt said:
fzj80 your best bet I think that is what I read the 80 that is already set up for disc brakes and the MC is set up for disc brakes
Will a FJ80 MC bolt right up?

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I just went through this.

I ended up with a 1988 Toyota Supra M/C.

I got one for my FJ-40 and I loved it so much, I just put one on Wilbur yesterday. It is a BAD ASS setup.

Pep Boys sells it for $49.95 plus $15 core.

I think it is the way to go. Bolts right up, single res. and pushed some heavy juice.

My Pig stops on a DIME now!

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what I wanted to hear Nolen! I read you did this but wanted to hear your experiences.

What calipers are you running again?

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anybody else got a line on these supra masters? Best I can find online is $52 + $35 core. I dont think they come with reseviours either.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
wngrog said:
I just went through this.

I ended up with a 1988 Toyota Supra M/C.

I got one for my FJ-40 and I loved it so much, I just put one on Wilbur yesterday. It is a BAD ASS setup.

Pep Boys sells it for $49.95 plus $15 core.

I think it is the way to go. Bolts right up, single res. and pushed some heavy juice.

My Pig stops on a DIME now!
Hey Nolen, talk to a cruiser novice. What do I need to make that work on my setup, or should I just continue the plan of moving all the junk over from the "donor"?

Ed

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Rock Taxi said:

Hey Nolen, talk to a cruiser novice. What do I need to make that work on my setup, or should I just continue the plan of moving all the junk over from the "donor"?

Ed
There is a booster that needs a rebuild in the Cruiser. Sent it to the rebuilder and it will bolt up through the holes in the dash.

Eric, did you try Pep Boys?

Also, I run 1/2 ton discs in the front and 1/2 ton drums in the rear (6 on 5.5 outers)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Waaaaaaaaaiiiiiit just a darn minute here. Is Ed's new project a Cruiser? :eek: Are we looking at another stretch job?

:flipoff2:

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunetly we dont have pepboys here in these parts and their website isnt worth a damn.

I will run to Schucks or autozone and hopefully they will have one for a decent price and a resivour.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
i run the hydroboost wetup from a 1ton chevy and i love it. it'll throw you out of your seat and i can lock up my 42's at will.

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nolen do you think even though you are running 1/2 ton brakes that the supra MC will still push enough fluid for 1 ton brakes?

High5 what mods did you have to do to fit that setup in? What parts would I need to get?

Nobody around here sells a supra MC with the resivoir for under $180:mad:

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
Erik D_lux said:
Nolen do you think even though you are running 1/2 ton brakes that the supra MC will still push enough fluid for 1 ton brakes?

High5 what mods did you have to do to fit that setup in? What parts would I need to get?

Nobody around here sells a supra MC with the resivoir for under $180:mad:
Should not make much of a difference!

·
Registered
5,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up getting a junk yard supra MC for $20 so that will more then cover the $35 core and I got a resivour with it :D

I put it on and bled it out. Right when I was going for a test run I found out I didnt have the front lines where they need to be and one got clipped. :rolleyes: Still was able to drive it around a bit. Feels good!

Thanks for the help guys, Nolen. I will be sure to let you know if it dosnet work out :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
wngrog said:
Should not make much of a difference!
i ran 1/2 ton disc's at all 4 corners on my old setup with my stock jeep master and worked great. when i went to 1ton stuff it would not stop it. that is when i switched to the hydroboost setup.

well my setup will be a bit different because i am running my brake master and pedal in the clutch pedal position on my rig. i had to do this because of how i mounted the jeep tilt column in it.. anyway i had to drill two holes and cut the plunger down and attach the threaded end of the cruiser master onto the GM's plunger. i did not thread it i ust cut to fit and welded it on. the hard part was i had to cut away some of the firewall support and then when i drilled the outside hole it ended up hitting right where the bracket that the pedals are hung from attached to the firewall. i had to do some work to get it in there but it wasn't too bad. i don't know if this would be as much of a problem if it was hund where the brake master normally is hung. you do not have to have a pump designed for a hydro-boost (i do) you can just use a t-fitting in one of the lines. i can't remember if it is two pressures or two returns on th hydro-boost setup. my pump is for hydroboost so it has 3 fittings on the pump. like i said earlier they WORK!! i really like them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts